Sannybel

K-1 VISA denied.. Next steps??

66 posts in this topic

Wow! That right there is my single biggest fear. I want to start making plans for my Fiancee arrival, like wedding plans and such, but am afraid that the CO will do what he did to you.

What questions did he ask?

How long have you known your Fiance?

Did you have an attitude with him?

Relationship starting too fast sounds pretty hokey to me. By the time the I-129F even gets approved, you have been together for at least several months.

Something else that doesn't sit right with me(and hopefully doesn't come to fruition) but how can the USCIS say "Yes, it is a valid relationship" only for the Consulate to to say "No, it is not a valid relationship"?

So sorry, Don't give up though! It will work out. Just need to find out exactly why it was denied, fix it, and try again.

Just wanted to set this one right: USCIS does only determine whether the beneficiary is eligible for a K1 visa by meeting the requirements of having met in the two years prior to filing the petition and that both parties are free to marry, and also does some background checks (criminal history..) etc.

You can frontload a petition with relationship evidence to cover all your bases and for the Consulate stage but this is not what USCIS primarily looks at.

K1 Visa Timeline
01-12-2011 Sent out I-129F packet to Lewisville, TX, via Fedex
01-18-2011 NOA1
01-24-2011 NOA1 hard copy received in the mail [dated 01-18-2011]
05-12-2011 NOA2 (approved in 114 days)
05-18-2011 NVC received, new case number assigned
05-20-2011 NVC left
06-01-2011 Embassy received
06-06-2011 Packet 3 sent
06-10-2011 Packet 4 received
07-21-2011 Interview at 9:30am - APPROVED!!
07-29-2011 Visa in hand
10-02-2011 Wedding

AOS Timeline
10-04-2011 Sent out AOS, EAD and AP application via UPS Overnight to Chicago, IL
10-05-2011 AOS application delivered @ 9:22am
10-07-2011 E-Notification via Email and Text @ 5:37pm for AOS, EAD and AP
10-26-2011 Biometrics Appointment
10-31-2011 AOS transferred to CSC
12-06-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - GC approved!!!!!!! (in 63 days)
12-07-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - EAD and AP approved (in 64 days)
12-12-2011 GREEN CARD rec'vd in mail!!!

Removing Conditions Timeline

10-19-2013 Sent out I-751 petition via USPS Priority Express

10-21-2013 I-751 petition delivered @ 12:12pm

10-25-2013 NOA received in the mail [dated 10-22-2013]

11-22-2013 Case transferred to CSC

02-05-2014 Card production ordered

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Congo DR
Timeline

I think that given 1) you had previously petitioned for someone else, and 2) the age between your fiance's kids and the two of you meeting is not that far apart (meaning he had a child and then quickly got into a relationship with you) are red flags. Are these reasons to outright deny the visa? Absolutely not. Are they reasons to scrutinze for fraud more closely? Absolutely. Since you weren't told what inconsistencies there were in the answers it is impossible to know exactly which question it was that they feel is inconsistent. Regarding the questions themselves... while personal in nature, I think the questions are very fair. Maybe the last time you had sex is irrelevant, but the first time you had sex, C-section or natural birth, who called who on new years eve, do you use birth control in the US, etc... are all very fair questions in my opinion especially for a couple that they want to scrutinze because of the 2 red flags from the get-go that I mentioned above. Ultimately, they proved what they needed to prove.... that perhaps there is fraud because one or the other doesn't know the intimate details of the relationship. Based on that reason alone, there is no reason for them to even look at pictures, phone logs, etc. It doesn't mean that your fiance won't get a visa. It simply means now you are going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it. It sucks, but the red flags were there so the CO did their job and asked intimate questions to prove the relationship and unfortunately you guys didn't pass. Don't give up hope. Just be more prepared next time around.

This is the best answer so far!! If I was interviewing you, based on #1 and #2, I will raise the red flag. Remember, they don't know you they only go with your words and few paperwork submitted to them... I know that you are for real but many did this for business. Sorry you are a victim. If I were you I will continue with my lover and try to have another interview maybe a year from now. I will be more prepared next time. (many people are overconfident when they go for interviews: don't be!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand were you are coming from but the manner in which the questions were asked were extremely disrepecful. Regardless I know I am saying the truth and have faith that the proof will persevere. I spoke to an immigration attorney adn he actually told me many of his clients have been denied when they are an actual couple. So this seems to be a common theme in the conuslate in DR. Every country is different.

As your attourney told you, this is a common theme in the DR. It's a simple fact - not a personal opinion- and there isn't much anyone can do about it. Although it's disappointing for you, I would try not to look at it as a personal attack. Your previous fiance petition, I'm sure, is the main reason you were subjected to this type of interrogation. Marriage deals are common AND one of the main reasons this process is so long, difficult, demanding, time-consuming, expensive and down right annoying for all of us who are legit. As for the line of questioning, I am sure I would feel better about all the sex questions if my visa was approved. The fact is, the people at the consulate were just doing their jobs and being vigilant. I am sorry you are going through this but hang in there and be persistant - the truth will prevail.

Edited by dands

06/22/2011 -mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 USPS priority

06/24/2011 -received at Chicago lockbox

06/29/2011 -NOA1 for I-130,I-485 & I-765

07/05/2011 -hardcopy received for all 3 NOA1's

07/08/2011 -received biometrics appointment letter in mail. Appointment date for I-485: July 29/2011

07/11/2011 -received biometrics appointment letter in mail. Appointment date for I-765: Aug 4/2011

07/19/2011 -biometrics walk-in Charleston, SC!!

08/09/2011 -received text that AOS interview is scheduled for Sept 12!

08/12/2011 -received text that EAD is approved and card production ordered

08/20/2011 -received EAD card in mail!

09/12/2011 -INTERVIEW - successful!! passport stamped(IR6)

09/26/2001 -recevied letter - I-130 approved

09/28/2011 -received text stating mail returned to DHS due to incorrect address-called & updated address

10/03/2011 -received welcome letter stating that I-485 was approved

10/06/2011 - 10 year GC in hand!!!!

eglg9ywg2vj.png

I had a horrible experience with the consulate. they were extremely judgemental of my relationship and kept sayin our relationship started to fast. They interrogated ME as if I was a criminal. THe funny thing is their hard questions were with me they were nice to my fiancee. SO now I have to wait for this letter in order to appeal. Does anyone had any recommendations? Has anybody went troughthis process? I felt offended and humiliated by the wya they treated me. I was an AMERICAN in the US Embassy. I am thinking of writing to the US AMbassador and to my senators office. They cant do anything at this point about the denial but I can at least lodge a complaint. I am very upset. Any info would be appreciated.

Elizabeth

Saw the questions you listed and my advice would be to contact your Congressman with factual information, that is, the documentation of your trips, pictures, etc; that establishes the relationship. While the questions seem crude, it's a subjective opinion whether they are intrusive or appropriate. Fight this with facts, put aside any opinion that is subjective.

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ask your fiance what his answers were to the stokes questions and compare answers.

I am NOT judging you or your partner but a similar situation I remember was the guy actually had 2 other previous marriages but only 1 listed on the forms, and like 3 other kids than the 2 he listed so they were denied because of that. I'm not saying it IS the case here, but it's something to think about. Maybe USCIS found out something you or he didn't previous disclose.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Sorry it went that direction.....pray and keep positive

Thanks Jazz... I am not giving up. Already contacted my congressmen and also hired an attorney so the ball is rolling.

s-event.png

event.png

Ask your fiance what his answers were to the stokes questions and compare answers.

I am NOT judging you or your partner but a similar situation I remember was the guy actually had 2 other previous marriages but only 1 listed on the forms, and like 3 other kids than the 2 he listed so they were denied because of that. I'm not saying it IS the case here, but it's something to think about. Maybe USCIS found out something you or he didn't previous disclose.

If he is hiding something we will find out. We are petitioning the case file and the video of the interview. On my side I was honest and explained why I withdrew the petition. So I just have to wait for my attorney to do her thing.. Thanks for the info..

s-event.png

event.png

Wow, that's certainly a painful experience, I'm sorry that you're having to go through all of this...

I do agree with some of the replies, I think these questions are fair, they're not going to ask simple generic questions because in a case of fraud, the petitioners would have already memorised these questions.

They ask these questions I'm sure specifically because they are so much 'out there' than what you would expect them to ask, which realistically is exactly what they ask them.

In saying that, the fact that the OP has come on VJ to express their disappointment says that this is not a fraudulent case, rather, just the circumstances could be.

Although the questions are extremely personal, did you answer them honestly and correctly? If that was me, and they asked me a question I literally didn't know, like if my fiancee had a c section, I would just say, "I don't know".

Nonetheless I wanted to hopefully put some ease to the minds of others reading this regarding the length of relationship, I think in this case the denial was because of something else.

I met my fiance in June 2010, we applied for the K-1 on December 7th after getting engaged on November 4th. So we were only dating for 5 months, and this wasn't an issue at all!

I had my final interview today and the CO did state, "You have only known her just over a year, what made you decide to take this big step and get married so soon?", but of course as we all know time is not an agenda for love, it's just duration, you can be with someone for years and don't know if it's right, or you can know within 5 minutes of meeting someone that you want to spent the rest of your life with them. When you know you just know, and in my case, I just knew!

That's pretty much what I told the CO, and he just literally said, "Awww" and that was that!

Time is not an issue, it's how you can prove your relationship.

OP, I hope you can get it resolved, remember, keep your cool, be polite but assertive, and contact senators and the likes. You certainly don't want to give them more reasons to say no, after all, although it sucks beyond belief, you're at the mercy of them.. good luck!

Gray :dance:

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Speaking of those crude questions, would it count against someone if they never... :innocent: with each other? Like if they never at all with anyone for religious reasons, that wouldn't be a red flag would it? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I tend to worry too much about things that could go wrong :blink:

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Speaking of those crude questions, would it count against someone if they never... :innocent: with each other? Like if they never at all with anyone for religious reasons, that wouldn't be a red flag would it? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I tend to worry too much about things that could go wrong :blink:

Of course not :)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The questions that the OP was asked vividly return the memories of several VJ members to the ####### consulate in Guayaquil, Ecuador, and the so-called "marriage interviews" that were really Stokes interrogations, and being interrogated by a Foreign Service National and not even by an American, and being put on ice indefinitely for weeks thereafter. People really need to read the Embassy Review by PDXBicycleBoy, who got hosed perhaps worse than any of us.

Edited to add: It is here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=4679

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Oh, don't worry! That won't be a problem at all! It's a plus sometimes, depending on the consulate. Though coming from Australia, I'm sure you won't get to deal with secondary inspection kind of questions. :) Hihi, good luck!

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm so sorry to hear about this situation. I'm sure there must be something somewhere which caught their attention. I found out today(maybe other VJ-ers already know this) that USCIS can access social networks like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace etc. to help determine if a relationship is bonafide or a fake one. They also look for illegal stuff like, per example, status updates such as "I managed to steal a car" or "I got a job"(when you're obviously not allowed to work or something similar). It just blows your mind what they're able to do nowadays. They tend to investigate those who accept hundreds and hundreds of friends without even knowing them. One way or another, an Immigration Officer gets into someone's list of friends and gets the information right from the source. I wouldn't swear it's true, but it's at least something to think about. Maybe something like that could have happened? :|

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I just wanted to add that the information in the denial letter that you will be able to appeal is misleading, and generally not true. You will not be given an opportunity to appeal the denial of the visa. It's possible the consular officer could change their mind, but extremely unlikely. It's also possible that the visa section chief could reverse the decision of the consular officer or direct them to conduct another interview, but that's also extremely unlikely.

When a consular officer concludes that a relationship is a sham, and they deny the visa and return the petition to USCIS, they are always recommending that the approval of the petition be revoked. When they say you will be able to appeal the decision, the decision they're talking about is the decision by USCIS to revoke the approval of the petition - NOT the decision to deny the visa. By law, the consular officer's decision is not subject to review or appeal - it's final.

The consular officer cannot actually promise that you'll be able to appeal the decision by USCIS to revoke the approval of the petition. That's up to USCIS. The California Service Center frequently doesn't even readjudicate returned I-129F petitions, and just lets them expire. If they don't take any action to revoke the approval of the petition then there's nothing for you to appeal. You're basically back at square one starting over again.

The Vermont Service Center, on the other hand, often does readjudicate returned petitions. If they ultimately decide to reaffirm the approval then the petition will be sent back to the consulate for another interview - you won't have to appeal anything. If they decide to side with the consular officer, and revoke the approval of the petition, then they'll send a Notice Of Intent to Revoke (NOIR) to the petitioner. If you don't respond forcefully to this notice with a truckload of evidence then the petition approval will be revoked, the consular officer's accusations will be recorded as fact, and your fiance will be guilty of immigration fraud. The next time he shows up for a visa interview he'll be denied because of this, and told he needs an I-601 waiver.

You can plead with your senator and congressman, or anything you like to do in the meantime. However, if you end up getting a NOIR from USCIS then do not ignore it, even if you've already married your fiance and/or an attorney recommends you ignore it. The NOIR will be your only opportunity to appeal, and if you fail to respond adequately then things will get a whole lot more difficult moving forward.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.