immibie

House quit claim deed question

19 posts in this topic

We are in that situation (filed Feb this year, hopefully approved soon, no RFE to date). My wife owns our home and has done for more than a decade. I'm not on the mortgage.

We wrote a letter addressed to USCIS, explaining that my wife had held the mortgage since long before I even knew her and that, while we had explored the options and possibilities of me becoming a joint owner with her, that it made no financial sense at this time (explained in more detail than this) and that therefore she remains the sole owner of our home. We went to the bank and signed it in front of a notary for good measure (no idea if that helps but it can't hurt - at least it proves we both signed it) then included the letter in our evidence along with a copy of a mortgage statement. We were following what seemed like a common sense approach, that if we simply couldn't supply something that is normally considered basic evidence, that we should explain why we don't have that rather than just say nothing (and then make up for the shortcoming in other areas of evidence).

This is basically what we did as well (wrote and signed an explanation letter of why my husband isn't on the title + got it notarized).

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

I bought the house before we got married. We didn't even worry about that. We sent joint bank statements and utility bills in both names, along with joint tax returns. We sailed through the ROC process in record time with no RFE's, no interview.

Good to know since I, too, bought the apartment prior to marriage and haven't added my husband to the title yet. We basically sent exactly the same thing in as you did, yet I'm still nervous about an RFE. unsure.gif

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Almost nobody would put their immigrant spouse on a mortgage or refi because they use the average of your credit scores. I'm sure the govt is used to the fact that nearly none of their applicants are on the mortgage. The recently purchased house on the other hand should be in both of your names. We did this without any hassle. The lender is 1st in line for your home, they shouldn't care if your spouse owns it too even if you are the sole borrower.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Had our AoS interviews (seperately) today and she was approved. In our case the quit claim deed, tax returns, medical bills, medical and life insurance forms, pictures and bank statements were sufficient.

I meant RoC, not AoS.

May 7, 2007 -- I-129F K1 sent to NSC

Dec 26, 2007 -- K1 Visa approved.

------

Sep 16, 2008 -- AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

Apr 01, 2009 -- Conditional green card arrives.

------

Feb 19, 2011 -- Mailed I-751 Packet to lift conditions

Nov 11, 2011 -- Permanent GC rev'd in mail.

------

Apr 25, 2012 -- Mailed N-400 Naturalization

Aug 16, 2012 -- Citizenship Interview. Approved.

Sep 06, 2012 -- Citizenship Oath.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.