Ryan & Amanda

Would a Cruise Wedding violate our Visa?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anybody see a problem with going to the Justice of the Pease and getting legally married now.

Later after they can have whatever kind of formal / religious/ travel wedding and renew their vows.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

1. Hawaii is a US state and thus not a "risk"

2. US Virgin Islands, Guam, and Puerto Rico are US Territories, but they could pose a slight risk as far as wedding goes, especially if you have to leave the US to get there/back

3. If you don't have the money for the destination wedding in Hawaii, you could always plan the cruise as a second honeymoon once AP or GC has been received.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anybody see a problem with going to the Justice of the Pease and getting legally married now.

Later after they can have whatever kind of formal / religious/ travel wedding and renew their vows.

I don't see a problem with it. It's just not what we want. Our family is very small, and the ones who are being supportive are even less, so I don't think planning something very small and intimate should be that big of an issue. It's really important to my dad to "give me away" which is why we have strayed from that idea. I'm no wedding planner and have no experience planning anything, and the immigration puts on enough stress already, so I really want to have it all go through one place.

I emailed Carnival to look into a Hawaii cruise for a destination wedding. The packages fit in our budget and I think Hawaii would be beautiful.

Timeline::

2/7/11 - Met in World of Warcraft

3/3/11 - Meet for first time

5/12/11 - Visit to Canada

5/15/11 - He proposed!!

6/28/11 - Ryan comes to stay for 5 months

8/9/11 - I-129F package sent

8/17/11 - Text/email confirmation received (VSC)

8/17/11 - Check cashed

8/20/11 - NOA1 Received (dated 8/16/11)

11/25/11 - Ryan has to leave :(

12/9/11 - Text/email approval!

12/12/11 - NOA2 Received (dated 12/8/11)

12/27/11 - NVC Letter Received (dated 12/19/11)

4/25/12 - Interview!! (Approved)

4/27/12 - Received Visa in mail

5/24/12 - POE: Detroit, MI, over Ambassador's Bridge

7/13/12 - Married <33

7/20/12 - I-485 package sent

7/26/12 - Text/email confirmation received

7/26/12 - Check cashed

I emailed Carnival to look into a Hawaii cruise for a destination wedding. The packages fit in our budget and I think Hawaii would be beautiful.

He will not be able to leave the country and come back, so if you plan to take a cruise from the continental US to Hawaii, make sure it does not stop off at any other foreign islands on the way there.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Caution: taking a cruise from the mainland to Hawaii is still crossing international waters, and therefore may count as "leaving the US" from an immigration point of view. A cruise that starts from Hawaii, and ends in Hawaii, and never leaves US waters would be acceptable, but you have to be quite careful.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

As someone earlier posted there are cruise ships that leave from LA and go around Catalina island that may be an option too. or a cruise around Hawaii could be nice, but be careful about the international waters part of the trip.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

I feel your pain. My boyfriend suggested going on a cruise/getting married on it or a honeymoon cruise, but yeah... can't leave the country that quick. Also, so many cruises have a foreign port. Ones that don't are much more expensive.

Though, great ideas on this thread! I'm checking out Catalina Island cruises <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It has been a few years, but there was an article about this exact topic. Man took his K-1 to the Caribbean with no troubles, but when they were ready to board the plane on the way back...trouble. She was deported from the Caribbean back to her home country and they had to start from scratch (well, with a spousal visa at that point).

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Lets face reality here. We all know that Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islans, etc. are US territories BUT why risk it when you can avoid it. If you are smart enough and went through all the pain and sacrifice to get your K1 visa, the waiting for your GC is worth the wait to avoid the slightest chance to get into any immigration problem. Yes, we all agree that it shouldnt be any problem at all going to any US territory but not everyone interprets immigration laws the way it is suppose to be, specially immigration officers. :). Don't risk it my friend.

02/28/2011 - K1 Application sent

03/03/2011 - K1 Application received

03/07/2011 - NOA1 Date

07/11/2011 - NOA2 Approved 126 days from NOA1

07/27/2011 - NVC recieved

08/05/2011 - NVC sent to consulate

08/10/2011 - Consulate received

09/01/2011 - Interview date

09/15/2011 - Visa Approved

10/06/2011 - Port of Entry - IAD Dulles International

01/25/2012 - AOS Package sent

02/15/2012 - Biometrics taken

What's risky about going to Hawaii without AP??

My sentiments exactly... I got married in hawaii with no problem...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The only remote issue with Hawaii is that you have plane toruble and get diverted to some non US place and deplaned ( happened to me on the way out of Argentina once) you would then go though immigration inspection on replaning and the K1'er would fail the check ( and be stuck in some strange place ) Us territorial waters end at about 12-20 miles off the coast (which is where they used to have to go to do shipboard marraiges ) so if you go that far out you have "left" the US technically.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wouldn't leave the Mainland. If a flight from Hawaii has problems and has to divert your screwed. Its just not worth it. I have to be careful here in AZ. An accidental day trip to Mexico can leave my wife stranded in another country all alone. There are plenty of places to go in the Mainland US.

Agreeing with the posters that recommend extra caution with your status until you get that GC. Just stay on the mainland, and find a great destination to make your wedding 100% romantic and perfect. Forget about Hawaii for now. Besides, its extra expensive for EVERYTHING there.

Word!

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you're flying to Alaska from the lower 48, the threat of diversion to Canada is a real (though remote) risk. A flight to or from Alaska that develops mechanical problems will almost certainly divert to Canada, and then a K-1 entrant is in significant trouble.

Hawaii is much safer, OTOH. A flight between SF, LA, or SEATAC and Hawaii does not go anywhere near any other countries. Look at a map of the Pacific. Ain't nothin' twixt Hawaii and North America except a whole lot of blue. :D Even Mexico, because of how it curves eastward, is way out of the way for a flight in trouble.

I stand by what I wrote earlier - Hawaii is a very safe destination for K-1 entrants to honeymoon at, as long as they are careful not to leave US waters while they're there. Many many K-1 entrants on this board have honeymooned in Hawaii, and I have never heard of a single CBP-related complication occurring. The CBP-related risk that exists with Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (especially the USVI!) just isn't an issue in Hawaii.

Just make sure a Hawaiian cruise starts on US territory and stays close to the islands, and have fun!

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.