Apple & Wil

How is having a baby when you're older?

96 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is much excellent advice here, as well as a few posters that just seem to miss the point completely.

Their "point" is merely to find something bad to say as a means of putting other people beneath them. This is a trait they will pass on to their children, so a good rule of thumb is that those people are the bad parents, and it doesn't have much to do with age.

Edited by rlogan

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Things to consider

How is your health? Do you feel 64, or 44 or 84? Do you have energy?

How old are your parents if they are still alive? Do you have graceful aging in your blood?

Most people are de-accumulating their wealth at 64, you will have hundreds of thousands of dollars of expense assuming you go the 'traditional' route, 529 college savings plan, etc. Are you going to leave your family setup well?

Do YOU want to have kids? Did you and your wife agree to have kids before?

Have you considered adoption of a child who is older? Or adoption in general should you not be able to have kids? (If you can and are up for it, I'd start the old fashioned way :) )

Timeline

Met 2.18.11 (Was on B1 Visa I-94 expired 2.11.11)

Engaged 6.12.11

Married 7.12.11

I-485/I-130/I-765/I-131 Filed/Rec'd CHI 7.25.11 (Rec'd @ 165 days overstay)

Bio Appt 8.29.11

I-485 Rec'd Interview Appt. (Date of notice 9.12.11 / Date of Interview 10.14.2011)

I-765/I-131 Approved 9.16.11 / Card Received 9.24.11 (53 Days Processing Time)

Applied for SSN 9.28.11 / SSN Card Received 10.3.11 (5 Days Processing Time)

Approved in person I-485 Interview 10.14.11 (81 Days from start of process)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Things to consider

How old are your parents if they are still alive? Do you have graceful aging in your blood?

Most people are de-accumulating their wealth at 64, you will have hundreds of thousands of dollars of expense assuming you go the 'traditional' route, 529 college savings plan, etc. Are you going to leave your family setup well?

Have you considered adoption of a child who is older? Or adoption in general should you not be able to have kids? (If you can and are up for it, I'd start the old fashioned way :) )

Thanks Caterino.

Yes we talked about before and decided to go ahead. We have decided that we both want to have one. We are financially able to care for it. I know it takes a lot of energy from what many people have told me. I am exercising everyday - mentally and physically. :-)

I appreciate all comments from all people.

wilfred

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Things to consider

This thread is so old, Wilfred's kid is already in kindergarten

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I have to say that while 63 is not the norm it is certainly not unheard of. I am 47 with 18 year old twins and a 13 year old. my wife is 42 with a 17 year old son. and we have decided that we would like to have a child of our own also. or at least have a good try at it. no in-vitro, we decided if it happens it will happen. as for being "advanced" in age, I feel I am more ready to be a dad again than when I was at 28. we all are different. while a little one at that age will certainly test both your stamina and your nerves, it is no different than at any age, except the stamina part of course. take the advice that was posted above, skip the in-vitro and do au naturale, much more fun that way. :hehe: that will be the look on your face at the 3 am feeding.

While that is entirely your prerogative I suggest your wife visit a doctor to assess the health of her eggs. Why? I'm sure you know that a woman's eggs deteriorate with age (sperm is fine). Can't hurt to make sure that you're all good to go before risking it.

Friend of mine her mother had a child at 45. They're fantastic attentive parents but their son is dying. He won't make it to 18. He's only recently had to get a wheelchair when other people with his condition of the same age had to get wheelchairs years ago. The only reason he's doing so well is his family is well off and they are VERY vigilant with his therapy. He is 13 but he looks 8 (height and everything). They love him but it's been very hard on all of them.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Actually, sperm does deteriorate with age.

As to the OP - I think it is really unfair to the child. You could be dead while it is still a teen, and that just sucks.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.