웃

Stock market on Monday (PREDICTIONS)

19 members have voted

1. 1. The Dow Jones closed at 11,444.61 on Friday...Low point on Monday will be....

• Market will go up
    • Flat day
    • -10 to -100
    • -101 to -149
    • -150 to -225
    • -226 to -299
    • -300 to -399
    • -400 to -499
    • -500 to -649
    • -650 to -799
    • -800 to -999
    • -1000 to -2000

144 posts in this topic

TASE is a pinprick and not a good indicator of major market opens.

Now that Asia is open we're getting a better read on global sentiment.

BTW, when looking at futures, the DJI futures don't really matter either. They are a CBOT contract that was intended to rival the CME's ES (S&P Emini) futures. But they never took off. After the CME merged with CBOT they make no effort to promote the DJI futures. ES and NQ (Nasdaq futures) are the primary US stock index futures. Oh, and the Russell contract on ICE gets some open interest as well.

Why are you wasting time on VJ, Dude? You could be making a bundle applying your market wisdom elsewhere, or be working for Donald Trump or even BY! :lol:

Set sights higher. These cats here won't be able to appreciate what UR telling them!:lol:

Edited by Boing!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

TASE is a pinprick and not a good indicator of major market opens.

Now that Asia is open we're getting a better read on global sentiment.

BTW, when looking at futures, the DJI futures don't really matter either. They are a CBOT contract that was intended to rival the CME's ES (S&P Emini) futures. But they never took off. After the CME merged with CBOT they make no effort to promote the DJI futures. ES and NQ (Nasdaq futures) are the primary US stock index futures. Oh, and the Russell contract on ICE gets some open interest as well.

I just talk about the Dow because that's what everyone else (including the noobs) know about. If I said the S&P is down 19 points / NASDAQ down 32 points (what I show as current) then nobody would think it is a big deal. It is more understandable if I say Dow is down 176 (current).

But I am still a noob when it comes to the markets...

Here is a cool chart though:

2011-08-06_1113.png

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

I just talk about the Dow because that's what everyone else (including the noobs) know about. If I said the S&P is down 19 points / NASDAQ down 32 points (what I show as current) then nobody would think it is a big deal. It is more understandable if I say Dow is down 176 (current).

Let's get the word out that the S&P 500 is the better way to track performance of "The Market". Teach the "noobs" a better index to follow.

Don't be shy to reference the S&P 500.

S&P 500 tracks 500 stocks, and the DOW tracks 30 stocks which is PRICE WEIGHTED, which means the most expensive stocks in this index have a greater influence. So that means CAT will have the most influence because it is the most expensive stock in the DOW.

wall_street_400x300.jpg

Edited by Boing!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

But I am still a noob when it comes to the markets...

Here is a cool chart though:

I agree. Referencing the DJI index is appropriate when discussing market performance, especially in colloquial conversations. You are absolutely right that most people have a good feel for the Dow valuation, and not so much for other indices.

My point is simply that when looking at the US stock index futures, especially when the equity markets are closed, you should focus on ES and NQ. DJ is simply not a much-traded product. When the NY markets are open it will closely track its true value due to arbitrage. But when the underlying stocks can't be traded, the DJ future is erratic.

As to noobery, everybody needs to learn somehow, sometime. I am by no means an expert, certainly not on trading. I tend to burn my fingers whenever I try to trade a hunch so I try to make a point of not doing so. Normally I'm just a buy and hold accumulator. However, if you recall, I was saying on VJ a few weeks ago that I had sold off to cash in advance of the Aug 2 deadline. Well, after the deal was done on Tuesday I bought back long a chunk (about 25% of the sidelined cash) on Wed, expecting to buy in the rest over the coming week or two. Then we promptly went off the cliff on Thurs. :lol: All to say, my timing instincts are no better than your average klutz. At least I know as much.

Regarding your chart, I take it you are trying to say that your Put-volume signal making a new high is a leading indicator for a broad selloff? Maybe. I don't do technical signals, just not my thing. I'm a plodding old buy-hold guy who burns his fingers when he tries to get too smart.

Timeline

Let's get the word out that the S&P 500 is the better way to track performance of "The Market". Teach the "noobs" a better index to follow.

Don't be shy to reference the S&P 500.

S&P 500 tracks 500 stocks, and the DOW tracks 30 stocks which is PRICE WEIGHTED, which means the most expensive stocks in this index have a greater influence. So that means CAT will have the most influence because it is the most expensive stock in the DOW.

I'll just do this. Current futures:

JXmRN.png

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

I'll just do this. Current futures:

JXmRN.png

Not looking very good, is it :help:

Gonna be a busy day tomorrow. I bet we'll hit record VIX volumes again.

Last week there were a few exchanges that were having serious technology troubles staying open: LIFFE closed for a few hours on Thurs, and Milan and Toronto both had streetwide outages. Tomorrow will be more running around, I bet. Sigh.

Timeline

Highlights From G-7 Statement Which Basically Says That The Plunge Protection Team Just Went Global

Highlights from the just released G-7 statement:

• G7 Says Will Take Every Action to Stabilize Financial Markets
  • G7 says it will commit to secure liquidity in market
  • G7 will cooperate closely on currency market actions
  • G7 says it will be in close contact next few weeks
  • G7 says disorderly moves in markets hurt economy
  • G7 says currency rates should be decided by markets

But the winning bullet point of the year is...

As the G7 commences the biggest market intervention in history to prevent the final Ponzi unwind...

Full statement from G-7:

The Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of the G7 on Monday made the following statement ahead of the opening of trade in Asian markets and following the downgrade of U.S. debt on Friday:

In the face of renewed strains on financial markets, we, the Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of the G-7, affirm our commitment to take all necessary measures to support financial stability and growth in a spirit of close cooperation and confidence.

We are committed to addressing the tensions stemming from the current challenges on our fiscal deficits, debt and growth, and welcome the decisive actions taken in the US and Europe.

The U.S. has adopted reforms that will deliver substantial deficit reduction over the medium term. In Europe, the Euro area Summit decided on July 21 a comprehensive package to tackle the situation in Greece and other countries facing financial tensions, notably through the flexibilisation of the EFSF.

We are now focused on the quick and full implementation of the agreements achieved. We welcome the statement of France and Germany to that effect. We also welcome the statement of the Governing Council of the ECB.

We are committed to taking coordinated action where needed, to ensuring liquidity, and to supporting financial market functioning, financial stability and economic growth.

These actions, together with continuing fiscal discipline efforts will enable long-term fiscal sustainability. No change in fundamentals warrants the recent financial tensions faced by Spain and Italy.

We welcome the additional policy measures announced by Italy and Spain to strengthen fiscal discipline and underpin the recovery in economic activity and job creation. The Euro Area Leaders have stated clearly that the involvement of the private sector in Greece is an extraordinary measure due to unique circumstances that will not be applied to any other member states of the euro area.

We reaffirmed our shared interest in a strong and stable international financial system, and our support for market-determined exchange rates. Excess volatility and disorderly movements in exchange rates have adverse implications for economic and financial stability. We will consult closely in regard to actions in exchange markets and will cooperate as appropriate.

We will remain in close contact throughout the coming weeks and cooperate as appropriate, ready to take action to ensure stability and liquidity in financial markets.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

Highlights From G-7 Statement Which Basically Says That The Plunge Protection Team Just Went Global

Highlights from the just released G-7 statement:

• G7 Says Will Take Every Action to Stabilize Financial Markets
  • G7 says it will commit to secure liquidity in market
  • G7 will cooperate closely on currency market actions
  • G7 says it will be in close contact next few weeks
  • G7 says disorderly moves in markets hurt economy

But the winning bullet point of the year is...

As the G7 commences the biggest market intervention in history to prevent the final Ponzi unwind...

Full statement from G-7:

The Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of the G7 on Monday made the following statement ahead of the opening of trade in Asian markets and following the downgrade of U.S. debt on Friday:

In the face of renewed strains on financial markets, we, the Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of the G-7, affirm our commitment to take all necessary measures to support financial stability and growth in a spirit of close cooperation and confidence.

We are committed to addressing the tensions stemming from the current challenges on our fiscal deficits, debt and growth, and welcome the decisive actions taken in the US and Europe.

The U.S. has adopted reforms that will deliver substantial deficit reduction over the medium term. In Europe, the Euro area Summit decided on July 21 a comprehensive package to tackle the situation in Greece and other countries facing financial tensions, notably through the flexibilisation of the EFSF.

We are now focused on the quick and full implementation of the agreements achieved. We welcome the statement of France and Germany to that effect. We also welcome the statement of the Governing Council of the ECB.

We are committed to taking coordinated action where needed, to ensuring liquidity, and to supporting financial market functioning, financial stability and economic growth.

These actions, together with continuing fiscal discipline efforts will enable long-term fiscal sustainability. No change in fundamentals warrants the recent financial tensions faced by Spain and Italy.

We welcome the additional policy measures announced by Italy and Spain to strengthen fiscal discipline and underpin the recovery in economic activity and job creation. The Euro Area Leaders have stated clearly that the involvement of the private sector in Greece is an extraordinary measure due to unique circumstances that will not be applied to any other member states of the euro area.

We reaffirmed our shared interest in a strong and stable international financial system, and our support for market-determined exchange rates. Excess volatility and disorderly movements in exchange rates have adverse implications for economic and financial stability. We will consult closely in regard to actions in exchange markets and will cooperate as appropriate.

We will remain in close contact throughout the coming weeks and cooperate as appropriate, ready to take action to ensure stability and liquidity in financial markets.

Are you getting that sinking feeling that we're about to go right off the edge of the cliff, but for real this time? No parachute, no last minute save by the superhero?

wile-e-coyote-gravity.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Are you getting that sinking feeling that we're about to go right off the edge of the cliff, but for real this time? No parachute, no last minute save by the superhero?

I have to admit, I am totally unfamiliar with the whole stockmarket matter. I just know the recent developments are superscary to me.

So, what should the small investor do with their stocks?

We had some at&t and verizon stocks and hubby sold them because he didn't want to take the chance of losing even more than we did since friday.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Pray, and have faith in the Almighty? :unsure:

It seems to work for Rick Perry.

Seriously, there is no good advice to give you.

In normal times the standard advice is to not watch the normal ups and downs of the market. Just invest for the long term, diversity, and be patient. These, however, are not normal times. Hopefully everything will turn out all right, as the S&P downgrade is really "known news" and not "new news". But there are just too many other factors at play: Europe is having serious debt crises of its own - most recently in Italy. Here in the US we may be going into a double-dip recession with no fiscal or monetary tools left to combat it. And the best we can hope for on our own debt front is that the "Super committee" comes up with $2.5T of cuts+taxes that miraculously gets past both houses of Congress in November. Even that falls short of the $4T markets and rating firms are expecting, and well short of what's really needed to balance the budget down the road. In many senses we really, truly, are screwed.

This is the point where the pessimist hangs himself, and the optimist goes out to the pub for another round. Personally, I'm an eternal optimist. I rather like my neighborhood pub.

Timeline

Futures update:

GmQh3.png

Probably. And a reminder:

"George W. Bush inherited a federal budget surplus from Bill Clinton in 2000, when the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) had forecast that, at that rate, the debt would be entirely wiped out by 2012"

"In January 2001, with the budget balanced and clear sailing ahead, the Congressional Budget Office forecast ever-larger annual surpluses indefinitely. The outlook was so rosy, the CBO said, that Washington would have enough money by the end of the decade to pay off everything it owed."

I also believe that the GOP will take the presidency in 2012 and therefore:

"By 2019, we estimate that these two policies will account for almost halfnearly $10 trillion — of the $20 trillion in debt that will be owed under current policies."

FederalDeficitChart_BushTaxCutsWar.jpg

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

iD4Fc.png

Bear market

A bear market is a general decline in the stock market over a period of time.[6] It is a transition from high investor optimism to widespread investor fear and pessimism. According to The Vanguard Group, "While there's no agreed-upon definition of a bear market, one generally accepted measure is a price decline of 20% or more over at least a two-month period."[7] It is sometimes referred to as "The Heifer Market" due to the paradox with the above subject.

Shanghai Composite (from zerohedge.com):

SHCOMP.jpg

Edited by Lord Infamous

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

I have to admit, I am totally unfamiliar with the whole stockmarket matter. I just know the recent developments are superscary to me.

We had some at&t and verizon stocks and hubby sold them because he didn't want to take the chance of losing even more than we did since friday.

AT&T and VZ stocks are 2 of the best too hold right now on sale because they are high yielding dividend. Verizon (VZ) is paying stock holders 5.7% right now. Where can you get that return on your bank money? You can't. And I have to believe that people are NOT going to be giving up their Droid Smart phones and iPhones because of a US credit downgrade. :blink:

I will be buying the stock you are selling for the long term. Thanks.

:star:

Edited by Boing!