gretchen_darren

visa interview and fiancee age

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It appears such additional documents are completely arbitrary, although the general consensus appears they may want the Attorney Verified document from anyone 23 and under, although it is not supported by Filipino law.

I've read accounts where attendees of the seminar were asked to provide proof that the petitioner is single. According to the poster, you can use the tax returns used at the embassy - this will show that he filed as a single individual. I've also read that you may need the birth certificate and passport pages showing the ID page, arrival and departure pages.

If you take all of your supporting documents and I-129F, you will have all of that with you. To me, it's like you're gong through another interview just to leave the country...seems a little overboard to me.

∞♥

Our Visa Journey

09/06/11 - Home!

09/24/11 - Married

tarsier.jpgpalms.jpgmmf.jpgch.jpgnv.jpgpalm.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Make sure you know you husband or fiancee's secret middle name, known in the US as the mother's maiden name. Otherwise, you will be one of those panicking Pinay outside the CFO trying to contact him via cellphone.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the tip. As long as she thinks "Happy days" or "smart ham", she will be fine. :lol: :lol: Also, I will be outside on the bench watching traffic go by..... while they are inside...just have to watch for the guard with a gun... or other girls... :o :o (since I will be sitting outside a convent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rqppEj4Dus&feature=related

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Make sure you know you husband or fiancee's secret middle name, known in the US as the mother's maiden name. Otherwise, you will be one of those panicking Pinay outside the CFO trying to contact him via cellphone.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the tip. As long as she thinks "Happy days" or "smart ham", she will be fine. :lol: :lol: Also, I will be outside on the bench watching traffic go by..... while they are inside...just have to watch for the guard with a gun... or other girls... :o :o (since I will be sitting outside a convent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rqppEj4Dus&feature=related

Lol I will never forget that CFO seminar, I got quistioned with unexpected quistion of what my husband (fiance then) mothers mainden name. Thought it was "blakely" coz in all paperworks it always said John Blakely, so I thought that was his mother's maiden name. I didn't know blakely is his second name. I was soo nervous when the CFO person said wrong. The CFO officer wont give me the CFO certificate until I tell her the right answer. That was 2pm or 3pm in Philippine time which is mean that 2am or 3am in my husband time, and he definitely sleeping. It took me probably 3 minutes to remember about the copy of our engagement announcement that my husband (fiance then) sent me. I remember that his parents name was also mentioned there and remember that thre was a "nee Belfield" in his mother's name before the last name that I'm also using now. So I told to the officer it's "Belfield". Then the officer smiled at me and staple the damn certificate in my passport and said done B-) . My husband was just laughing at me when I told him about what happened and appologized at the same time. He was also thankful that I solved the problem even was just on my own at that time.

Crazy and hard experiences just to be with the person you love.

SzIKm4.png
4202e493-922b-4a14-a1b7-438a49a69f71_zps0b740bfd-4829-475c-92b2-ceedfc991843_zps

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.

I was 46 and my fiancee was 21 at the time of our petition at USEM (July 09). She had never married, was over 18 so we were under the impression "good to go". HOWEVER.......at the last minute the CFO people wanted a notarized letter from her parents of "Parental advice and consent", basically a statement from her parents giving their approval/advice of our approaching marriage. I have since found out the CFO people can require this if she is under age 23. My fiancee (now wife) was in Manila, her parents in a province of Mindanao and me 1/2 way around the world slowly reaching crisis mode. The logistics were not easy but we did manage to get the letter to her in time for her interview and CFO stuff. Without the CFO approval (passport stamp)she would not be allowed on the plane.

Just be prepared for this. I have read here some have gone through the process without needing the letter and others (me!) have had to. The letter is simple, the notary fairly quick and cheap.

Yes, those CFO nuns really seem to have all power over whether or not any given Pinay is allowed to leave the Phils to be with her foreign hubby.Unbelievable! Often, getting thru the SLEC/USEM process is easier and predictable. So, be loaded for bear when going thru the CFO process. Have any and all obscure paperwork you can get your hands on, and Pinay must be conservatively dressed and all respectful in attitude. Those dried up ol' nuns just may have some envy issues going on, and you can become a target of their projections.

Good Luck, you will be just fine.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

Yes, thanks for the story. I loved it. My fiancee is being highly distracted by issues in the village right now. I am trying to calm the issues from my end so she can focus and be ready. She is finding there is so much to know and prepare for. I am my fiancee's first relationship. The first guy she has kissed. i want to see everything go well for her. thanks for helping. :thumbs: :thumbs:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

:rofl: That is soooo true. Better have a scanned copy of husband or fiancee's BC.

Did you attend the seminar in Manila?

It probably depends where you attend the seminar. I read that the seminar in Manila is far easier than the one in Cebu. Do a search for St. Mary's CFO...there are a lot of posts here about the differences.

I would still pay the few 100 pesos for the notarization just in case.

Yes, I attended the seminar in PRISM and they didn't asked me for one. I got my yellow certificate which is the so-called certificate of attendance. I need to go back to CFO to get my sticker once I have my visa. I don't know what will happen then...... :wacko:

K1 Timeline

02-28-11 I-29F SENT

06-01-11 PETITION APPROVED

07-15-11 VISA APPROVED

AOS Timeline

03-02-12 I-485 SENT

05-22-12 INTERVIEW APPROVED

ROC Timeline

04-18-14 I-751 SENT

07-29-14 APPROVED

Naturalization Timeline

06-29-16 N400 SENT

08-02-16 BIOMETRICS

10-12-16 INTERVIEW

CFO is ridiculous, especially the PRISM one. Do not get tricked into opening a BDO account. He will lie and say that opening one will help you be able to open a bank account in the US. Also, do not believe their power-tripping. They are so corrupt, making you pay a ridiculous Php150 for some lousy hand-out, and if you don't ask for your change they will conveniently forget to give it back. Also, the man doing the seminar had the nerve to say "I don't care if you already have your visa from USEM. We have the final say on whether you will set foot on that plane or not." I had so many complaints. I have been to the US 10 times before I got my fiance visa, so I could not believe the things they were saying to us. Ugh. Oh well, its the final hurdle to get through so just do it!! Goodluck and God bless :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Marriage applicants who are age 18 to 21 must have parental consent in writing.

Those age 21 to 25 must have written parental advice (a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry).

The revised Family Code of the Philippines, which took effect on August 4, 1988, prohibits marriage for individuals below the age of 18.

I believe this only applies if you actually marry IN THE PI, not intent to marry on a K1 in the USA.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_757.html

Also: http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno6809.htm

Timeline

CFO is ridiculous, especially the PRISM one. .... Also, the man doing the seminar had the nerve to say "I don't care if you already have your visa from USEM. We have the final say on whether you will set foot on that plane or not." I had so many complaints. ... Oh well, its the final hurdle to get through so just do it!! Goodluck and God bless :)

thanks exactly why we are going to St. Mary's instead of PRISM. Hopefully St. Mary's will be better for her and her parents. the CFO office is very close to PRISM and the embassy area. PRISM likes being close to Us Embassy and CFO because more people will not pay the extra fare to go to St. Mary's. (unless of course you study the lrt maps)

Waiting to hear on the embassy should know something from another interview wednesday.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks exactly why we are going to St. Mary's instead of PRISM. Hopefully St. Mary's will be better for her and her parents. the CFO office is very close to PRISM and the embassy area. PRISM likes being close to Us Embassy and CFO because more people will not pay the extra fare to go to St. Mary's. (unless of course you study the lrt maps)

Waiting to hear on the embassy should know something from another interview wednesday.

CFO pissed my wife off more than anything in the entire process. She got through the seminar at PRISM, (after asking to see more documents than the Embassy asked for during the interview). She then tried to get her 14 year old daughters' seminar and was told there was a one month waiting list for the childrens version. Bottom line is that I flew them to Cebu for a mini vacation as Cebu allowed the children on a walk in basis.

Does anyone have a map of the area, showing where St. Mary's and PRISM is? Might be helpful for those of us who have to make the choice of where to go.

Thanks!

Thanks, SOG (good thing you are not a Georgia Yuppie, eh?)

Here's a Google map link that might be helpful, too, if one were to drive or take taxi:

MNL MAP

Edited by DavenRoxy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.