gretchen_darren

visa interview and fiancee age

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone had a fiancee under 24 or under 21 go through the visa interview recently? If so was the marriage requirements for Philippines mentioned? Or questions regarding parental consent or counseling?

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

I am 22 and done with my visa interview without any problems. As long as she's 18 and is free to marry, it'll be no problem.

K1 Timeline

02-28-11 I-29F SENT

06-01-11 PETITION APPROVED

07-15-11 VISA APPROVED

AOS Timeline

03-02-12 I-485 SENT

05-22-12 INTERVIEW APPROVED

ROC Timeline

04-18-14 I-751 SENT

07-29-14 APPROVED

Naturalization Timeline

06-29-16 N400 SENT

08-02-16 BIOMETRICS

10-12-16 INTERVIEW

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone had a fiancee under 24 or under 21 go through the visa interview recently? If so was the marriage requirements for Philippines mentioned? Or questions regarding parental consent or counseling?

I was 46 and my fiancee was 21 at the time of our petition at USEM (July 09). She had never married, was over 18 so we were under the impression "good to go". HOWEVER.......at the last minute the CFO people wanted a notarized letter from her parents of "Parental advice and consent", basically a statement from her parents giving their approval/advice of our approaching marriage. I have since found out the CFO people can require this if she is under age 23. My fiancee (now wife) was in Manila, her parents in a province of Mindanao and me 1/2 way around the world slowly reaching crisis mode. The logistics were not easy but we did manage to get the letter to her in time for her interview and CFO stuff. Without the CFO approval (passport stamp)she would not be allowed on the plane.

Just be prepared for this. I have read here some have gone through the process without needing the letter and others (me!) have had to. The letter is simple, the notary fairly quick and cheap.

I was 46 and my fiancee was 21 at the time of our petition at USEM (July 09). She had never married, was over 18 so we were under the impression "good to go". HOWEVER.......at the last minute the CFO people wanted a notarized letter from her parents of "Parental advice and consent", basically a statement from her parents giving their approval/advice of our approaching marriage. I have since found out the CFO people can require this if she is under age 23. My fiancee (now wife) was in Manila, her parents in a province of Mindanao and me 1/2 way around the world slowly reaching crisis mode. The logistics were not easy but we did manage to get the letter to her in time for her interview and CFO stuff. Without the CFO approval (passport stamp)she would not be allowed on the plane.

Just be prepared for this. I have read here some have gone through the process without needing the letter and others (me!) have had to. The letter is simple, the notary fairly quick and cheap.

Hi! Did the CFO staff asked about the parental advice consent thing before she had her counseling seminar? Or thats right after she was about to get her green certificate and sticker? I had my CFO seminar last week, they never asked me for one and they issued me a certificate of attendance. I am still 22 and I have to go back to get my green certificate and sticker.

K1 Timeline

02-28-11 I-29F SENT

06-01-11 PETITION APPROVED

07-15-11 VISA APPROVED

AOS Timeline

03-02-12 I-485 SENT

05-22-12 INTERVIEW APPROVED

ROC Timeline

04-18-14 I-751 SENT

07-29-14 APPROVED

Naturalization Timeline

06-29-16 N400 SENT

08-02-16 BIOMETRICS

10-12-16 INTERVIEW

Timeline

I don't think they ask about the advice/consent at the interview...I have read that the embassy is concerned about matters of the US, not the Philippines regulations. Like gary9891 said, the CFO people will probably want that if your fiancee is 18-22. My fiance is 22 and we will get the letter before she attends...just in case.

∞♥

Our Visa Journey

09/06/11 - Home!

09/24/11 - Married

tarsier.jpgpalms.jpgmmf.jpgch.jpgnv.jpgpalm.jpg

Timeline

Hi! Did the CFO staff asked about the parental advice consent thing before she had her counseling seminar? Or thats right after she was about to get her green certificate and sticker? I had my CFO seminar last week, they never asked me for one and they issued me a certificate of attendance. I am still 22 and I have to go back to get my green certificate and sticker.

Did you attend the seminar in Manila?

It probably depends where you attend the seminar. I read that the seminar in Manila is far easier than the one in Cebu. Do a search for St. Mary's CFO...there are a lot of posts here about the differences.

I would still pay the few 100 pesos for the notarization just in case.

∞♥

Our Visa Journey

09/06/11 - Home!

09/24/11 - Married

I was 23 and was not asked for anything.. :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

I attended CFO seminar in Cebu and they are real tough to deal with. I had to call my husband @ 1am US time 'cause I have to get a document from him or else they wouldn't release my CFO certificate. Anyway since this is on K-1 I just want to share what happened with one lady who attended the Seminar in Cebu. The lady was 20 y.o. and is engaged to an American guy who's on his 50's, Yup the CFO staff asked for the letter of consent from the lady's parents and they also wanted to talk to either her Mom or Dad. And she isn't from Cebu, She's from Mindanao same as me so She had to wait for one more day, stayed in a Hotel and had her Mom fly to Cebu. So I guess if your fiancee is 18-22 y.o. better get that parent's consent before going to CFO.

Timeline

I attended CFO seminar in Cebu and they are real tough to deal with. I had to call my husband @ 1am US time 'cause I have to get a document from him or else they wouldn't release my CFO certificate.

To the OP, if you go to the Cebu seminar, be sure and take all of the documents you took to the embassy interview, they can ask for any documents...like Mr&MrsCDO said, the Cebu seminar is tougher than the others.

∞♥

Our Visa Journey

09/06/11 - Home!

09/24/11 - Married

Timeline

She attended the seminar and went to get her stamp/certificate and then was asked for her letter. That is when we "found out" about the requirement. Apparently it is hit and miss if the letter is required. She attended the Manila seminar.

:ot: I made sure mine was over 25.... :rofl::bonk::ot2:

12/22/2010...married my soulmate,in tagaytay city.

USCIS...
01/28/2011...mailed I-130 to chicago Lockbox.....The journey begins
01/31/2011...receive I-130
02/05/2011...get a e-mail notice of NOA-1...states case transferred to CSC
02/08/2011...check clears my bank
02/10/2011... rec. hardcopy NOA-1 in mail...priority date..01/31/2011.....sit back relax and ride this slow mule!!
02/14/2011... touched ( it must have fallen on the floor )..hehe
05/12/2011...NOA-2 OMG...98days u kidding me!!!!!!!

NVC......

05/26/2011... finally got NVC case number...
05/28/2011... receive DS-3032 in e-mail/e-mailed the DS-3032 back
05/28/2011... receive AOS fee bill/ and paid online.
06/01/2011... AOS fee bill shows paid.
06/02/2011... DS-3032 accepted
06/03/2011... IV-bill generated and sented by e-mail
06/04/2011... Paid IV fee bill/ in progress
06/07/2011... IV fee bill showed paid/ downloaded cover sheet
06/08/2011... Express mail both the I-864(AOS) and DS-230
06/09/2011... Confirmed del at 11:10am signed by N visa center.
06/21/2011... SIF...yea!!! called NVC..yes case complete but no interview dates until aug..rats!!
06/28/2011... issured interview date set for 08/08/2011 At 6:30am.
07/12&13/2011... medical
YEA SHE PASSED MEDICAL

08/08/2011... interview approved!!!
08/19/2011...usa/arkansas.....

ROC

05/23/2013... mailed I-751 to Vermont

05/25/2013...delivery confirm received

05/30/2013...check cleared bank

06/01/2013...rec. NOA1 (receipt date 05/28/2013)

06/24/2013... biometrics appointment

Filed: Timeline

She attended the seminar and went to get her stamp/certificate and then was asked for her letter. That is when we "found out" about the requirement. Apparently it is hit and miss if the letter is required. She attended the Manila seminar.

Age of consent for marriage

18 years old. Article 5 of the Family Code of the Philippines states “Any male or female of

the age of eighteen years or upwards not under any impediments mentioned in Articles

37 and 38, may contract marriage”

Article 37: Marriage between the following is incestuous and void from the beginning,

whether the relationship between the parties is legitimate or illegitimate.

Article 38: The following marriages shall be void from the very beginning for reasons of

public policy;

(1) Between collateral blood relatives, whether legitimate or illegitimate up to the

fourth civil degree;

(2) Between step-parents and step-children

(3) Between parents-in-law and children-in-law;

(4) Between the adopting parent and the adopted child;

(5) Between the surviving spouse of the adopting parent and the adopted child;

(6) Between the surviving spouse of the adopted child and the adopter;

(7) Between an adopted child and a legitimate child of the adopter;

(8) Between adopted children of the same adopter; and

(9) Between parties where one, with the intention to marry the other, killed that

other person’s spouse or his or her own spouse

However, the legal capacity of either party may be defective, as when a girl and a

boy between 18 and 21 years of age (i.e. below 21 years)gets married without

parental consent. A defect in any of the essential requisite as mentioned (absence of

parental consent) does not render the marriage void but makes it only voidable, i.e.

valid until annulled.

http://www.interpol.int/public/children/sexualabuse/nationallaws/csaphilippines.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, I also talked with my fiancee last night. A friend of hers went through CFO in Cebu. Her Friend, Marasol, is younger then her. Plus Marasol is currently 7 months pregnant by her fiance Marasol's mom and aunt went with her to the interview in Cebu. The CFO in Cebu questioned Marasol's mom.

Marasol is going through her medical on Monday/Tuesday of this week, and interview on Wednesday of this week. What I learn of Marasol's experience I will post.

I estimate Gretchen, her parents, and I, will be in Manila taking care of Gretchen's medical, interview, and CFO in about 5 to 8 weeks. (all depends on NVC processing right now.) My fiancee and her parents are going to attend the CFO at St. Marys (they are devout Catholics) in Manila. Gretchen's parents will go with us to Manila for the week, just to be safe. (adds cost to travel and hotel room, but covers almost anything which can come up.)

Thanks for information on the letter of consent. I have asked Gretchen to get a letter of consent from her parents just to be safe. My major concern is the USEmbassy being she is only 19. I have heard and read different stories from present to past. I guess i will find out Wednesday since Marasol is from the same village as Gretchen.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline
Requirements for Attendance to Guidance and Counseling Program

Two (2) valid identification cards (IDs) with photograph;

Duly completed guidance and counseling form;

If married, certified true copy and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)

Other documents as may be required by the counselors; and

Payment of P250.00 counseling fee.

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1348:fiancee-spouses-and-other-partners-of-foreign-nationals&catid=140

It appears such additional documents are completely arbitrary, although the general consensus appears they may want the Attorney Verified document from anyone 23 and under, although it is not supported by Filipino law.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.