35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all!

Just a quick advanced question- how late can we apply for AOS without causing any problems? :unsure:

I just want to know in advance cause I want to have some time enoying my marriage for maybe atleast the first year before sending my AOS packet to USCIS... I'm not in a rush though with this immigration thing. Just want to focus on my future family for atleast a year into the marriage. I plan to set aside these paperworks for awhile..

Does it cost any problems if I apply AOS a year after the marriage? If so, how late can I apply?

Please advice....

Thank you! :)

Sam's CRBA, US Passport, and SSN Journey

Nov. 2010: CRBA and US passport application sent(via Air21)

Dec. 08, 2010: Interview(DNA was recommended)

April 04, 2011: CRBA and US passport on hand

April 2011: SSN Application sent (mailed original docs thru 2GO)

April 29, 2011: SSN card on hand

My K1 Visa Journey

March 05, 2011: I-129F packet sent

March 14, 2011: NOA1

May 20, 2011: NOA2(approved in 67 days from NOA1, with no RFEs)

June 24, 2011: NVC received approved petition from USCIS

June 29, 2011: Approved original petition left NVC to US Embassy-Manila

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

October 26 - June 5, 2012: SLEC trap!!! (DOT tx to vaccine administration)

June 7, 2012: Interview (APPROVED!) :)

June 18, 2012: Visa picked up at the embassy

June 20, 2012: POE in Detroit

proud of my family

:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

If you do not mind beneficiary being out of status once 90 day period from entry is gone, that you can enjoy your marriage as long as you want (admit I don't quite understand why AOS would prevent enjoying the marriage). Apart from the status, things like driving license, SSN, ability to work depend on that too... And someone can correct me if I am wrong, being being out of status and very unlucky can end up in a deportation...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you had 90 days from POE date to get married - if you satisfied that one requirement -

then

AOS filing date not really matter, except

if it's 2 years past the POE date? must file I-130 concurrently with the I-485.

IMO - one year is sorta borderline, but mostly OK, as far as USCIS is concerned.

To be 'enjoying married life' without filing the AOS packet, though, IMO, is like enjoying the butter without milking the cow, skimming the cream, and churning in the butter churn . She's missing out, with no SSN or greencard.

IMO, to be 'focused on the family life' includes financial co-mingling, is almost impossible to do without a SSN and greencard.

What's the hesitancy, really, to file the AOS? I don't buy anything you've said, so far.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

you had 90 days from POE date to get married - if you satisfied that one requirement -

then

AOS filing date not really matter, except

if it's 2 years past the POE date? must file I-130 concurrently with the I-485.

IMO - one year is sorta borderline, but mostly OK, as far as USCIS is concerned.

To be 'enjoying married life' without filing the AOS packet, though, IMO, is like enjoying the butter without milking the cow, skimming the cream, and churning in the butter churn . She's missing out, with no SSN or greencard.

IMO, to be 'focused on the family life' includes financial co-mingling, is almost impossible to do without a SSN and greencard.

What's the hesitancy, really, to file the AOS? I don't buy anything you've said, so far.

Hi, I am the beneficiary. :)

As far as I know, I can apply for SSN like 2 weeks after I get to my fiance's place. And after the marriage, will go back to SSA office to change name on the SSN card.. That means, we can still have JOINT bank accounts together as far as the "financial co-mingling" thing.

Ofcourse we will get married within 90 days of my arrival..

What's the hesitancy?- it's just that I love my fiance so much and doing AOS paperworks right away after marriage is I think horrible cos it shouldnt be like that. And I would also like to show respect to my fiance by doing it.

If 1 year is too late, then is 6 months after marriage just fine?

My K1 Visa Journey

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

proud of my family

Timeline

Sorry, I will throw acerbic tone each time, on this one topic, for delaying to file AOS.

Suggest you read in the sub-forum, take 10 days of reading, go back 1 year.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

If you do not mind beneficiary being out of status once 90 day period from entry is gone, that you can enjoy your marriage as long as you want (admit I don't quite understand why AOS would prevent enjoying the marriage). Apart from the status, things like driving license, SSN, ability to work depend on that too... And someone can correct me if I am wrong, being being out of status and very unlucky can end up in a deportation...

I thought K1 visa holders are eligible to appply for SSN before applying AOS. That means, I can apply for driver's license too. I am the beneficiary.

My K1 Visa Journey

proud of my family

Timeline

applying for SSN is not part of 'enjoying your marriage' - it's actually a bit of the paperwork process.

Timeline

applying for SSN is not part of 'enjoying your marriage' - it's actually a bit of the paperwork process.

I will have SSN before the marriage. And will just take a day off to SSA office to notify them of the name change. :)

Thank you for your opinions, gladly appreciated. :)

My K1 Visa Journey

proud of my family

Timeline

Suggest you engage your USCitizen Petitioner to read up on the AOS process, at least during the time between 'K-1 interview' and 'arrival in USA'.

We've a guide for that - have you shown it to him ?

Timeline

Suggest you engage your USCitizen Petitioner to read up on the AOS process, at least during the time between 'K-1 interview' and 'arrival in USA'.

Nope. I dont think I will show it to him though.. Will just tell him later.. He's currently on deployment.

My K1 Visa Journey

proud of my family

Timeline

Really? how to enjoy married life when he's on deployment? EEK.

Timeline

It is me, the beneficiary, that wants to apply AOS late. Its not the petitioner.

My K1 Visa Journey

proud of my family

Timeline

Oh, cool then. Good luck with signatories !

Timeline

Really? how to enjoy married life when he's on deployment? EEK.

LOL. he is CURRENTLY :) on deployment. When he come back from deployment, we will get married.

PLEASE I only want to know if not a year, 6 months after marriage, would be okay to file AOS without any problems?

Oh, cool then. Good luck with signatories !

huh? :unsure:

My K1 Visa Journey

proud of my family

Timeline

Can search the AOS forum, going back a year on topics? (Suggest you hit VJ from a PC, not a cell phone)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.