Lori & Inam

Advice desperately needed!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a very unusual situation and I'm not sure what the best solution is. I am a female, and a US citizen. I am engaged to be married to a Pakistani citizen who is living in the Philippines. I met him a year ago over the internet, and we have plans for me to go to the Philippines next month. We had planned to be married there, and for me to then return home and petition to bring him here as my spouse. We have NOT met in person as he was living in Pakistan until about a month ago, and we didn't feel it was safe for me to go there, due to recent events.

One very serious complication has arisen. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I will not be able to go to the Philippines next month as I will be undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. I don't know what my medical course will entail, but I will possibly be having surgery after the chemo and radiation.

As anyone can imagine, both of us are reeling from this unexpected turn of events. My fiancee is an MD, however, to practice in the US he must take the USMLE, which involves 4 parts and is not quick.

Does anyone have any advice on how we can get him a visa, even a tourist visa in a hurry? I know that since we are not yet married and I am not a blood relative that it wouldn't be considered a medical emergency. We know that since we have not met in person that a K-1 visa is out of the question. We have talked about him trying to get a student visa to take a year long radiology course at a local college, but even that may not get approved. We are afraid that if he petitions for a tourist visa and he gets denied, then it will hurt his chances later, after we are married.

This is just heartbreaking for both of us, and we don't know who to ask for advice. I happened upon this site, and I'm hoping that someone here can help us. I am even considering delaying my treatment in order to go ahead and take the trip, but he is against me doing that. I just don't know what else we can do at this point, and any advice would be very welcomed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a very unusual situation and I'm not sure what the best solution is. I am a female, and a US citizen. I am engaged to be married to a Pakistani citizen who is living in the Philippines. I met him a year ago over the internet, and we have plans for me to go to the Philippines next month. We had planned to be married there, and for me to then return home and petition to bring him here as my spouse. We have NOT met in person as he was living in Pakistan until about a month ago, and we didn't feel it was safe for me to go there, due to recent events.

One very serious complication has arisen. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I will not be able to go to the Philippines next month as I will be undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. I don't know what my medical course will entail, but I will possibly be having surgery after the chemo and radiation.

As anyone can imagine, both of us are reeling from this unexpected turn of events. My fiancee is an MD, however, to practice in the US he must take the USMLE, which involves 4 parts and is not quick.

Does anyone have any advice on how we can get him a visa, even a tourist visa in a hurry? I know that since we are not yet married and I am not a blood relative that it wouldn't be considered a medical emergency. We know that since we have not met in person that a K-1 visa is out of the question. We have talked about him trying to get a student visa to take a year long radiology course at a local college, but even that may not get approved. We are afraid that if he petitions for a tourist visa and he gets denied, then it will hurt his chances later, after we are married.

This is just heartbreaking for both of us, and we don't know who to ask for advice. I happened upon this site, and I'm hoping that someone here can help us. I am even considering delaying my treatment in order to go ahead and take the trip, but he is against me doing that. I just don't know what else we can do at this point, and any advice would be very welcomed.

previous tourist visa refusals do not have any effect on IR or K visas later

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do not delay your treatment, the reason my mom is cancer free is because she decided not to delay the treatment when she originally was going to.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

Do not delay your treatment, the reason my mom is cancer free is because she decided not to delay the treatment when she originally was going to.

I don't want to delay my treatment, not at all. He doesn't want me to do that either, but in all honesty....I want my happiness with him and I want to go to him.

I have to see a hematologist/oncologist next week and what he says will be the deciding factor. If he says I can wait 2 weeks before starting treatment, then I'm going to go get married.

I'm 51 years old and I've waited for this man my whole life. The whole situation just sucks, all the way around.

I do have a friend who is willing to sign the sponsorship papers for my fiancee to take the 1 year radiology course here. I'm wondering if him trying for the student visa would be the best route to take if I am not able to travel?

Should I try and talk to an immigration attorney, or is that not necessary?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.