Bad_Daddy

Court temporarily reinstates "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

34 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/court-temporarily-reinstates-dont-ask-dont-tell-152249916.html

Airborne Rangers = Rump Rangers?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A federal appeals court has reversed itself and temporarily reinstated the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy on gays in the military, but it has blocked the Pentagon from significant enforcement of the policy.

In an order issued late on Friday, a three-judge panel of the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with a request by President Barack Obama's administration to temporarily reinstate the policy against allowing openly gay men and women to serve in the military.

The government has said it needs more time to prepare for an end to the controversial policy.

Obama signed legislation in December to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," but the bill gave the Pentagon an unlimited time frame to implement the change, leading up to a final "certification" of the repeal.

In the meantime, a separate challenge to the policy had advanced in the federal court system, where last week the 9th U.S. Circuit Court panel upheld a lower-court decision declaring "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" unconstitutional and ordered the military to immediately lift the ban.

In their latest ruling, the judges said that, based on information provided by government lawyers, senior military officials have made plans to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and that certification will be presented to Obama by the end of July or in early August.

The judges' three-page order also states that only one military service member has been discharged for being openly gay since the passage of the repeal act in December.

The judges stated that "in order to provide this court with an opportunity to consider fully the issues presented in light of these previously undisclosed facts" it was temporarily reinstating the policy.

But the order also blocks the military "from investigating, penalizing or discharging anyone from the military pursuant to the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy."

The policy dates from 1993, when then-President Bill Clinton signed the directive into law as a compromise with the military to end an outright ban on gay service members that had been in force for decades.

More than 13,000 men and women have been expelled from the military under the policy since it was instituted by Clinton.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

why does the government need to be involved in what people do in private? Such a waste

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

why does the government need to be involved in what people do in private? Such a waste

United States of America's armed forces is part of the United States of America aka government.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

United States of America's armed forces is part of the United States of America aka government.

True. Should your employer decide what you can do in the prviacy of your bedroom?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

True. Should your employer decide what you can do in the prviacy of your bedroom?

If the military doesn't want gays, they don't want gays. It's the military and I can't say I blame them. It's all about moral.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

have you read the ucmj?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

"Employer"?

This hugely over simplification of the military and the unique environment they are taxed with ridicules your response.

Even an "employee" of Home Depot is subject to a piss test.... without regard to location one might have smoked pot at.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

"Employer"?

This hugely over simplification of the military and the unique environment they are taxed with ridicules your response.

Even an "employee" of Home Depot is subject to a piss test.... without regard to location one might have smoked pot at.

its not illegal to smoke bones...but, i get what your saying.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with a request by President Barack Obama's administration to temporarily reinstate the policy against allowing openly gay men and women to serve in the military.

Whoa. Choose one or the other, please stop waffling. A Clear Course is useful for all, even the anti's.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

have you read the ucmj?

yup.

Anyone else thinks it's funny that people that would NEVER consider military service want to force the military into their own moral code?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

yup.

Anyone else thinks it's funny that people that would NEVER consider military service want to force the military into their own moral code?

:thumbs:

sigbet.jpg

It's nothing to do with morality and everything to do with constitutionality. If you have problems determining the difference, I suggest you might be happier living in a country with a stricter "moral" code, like Iran.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

It's nothing to do with morality and everything to do with constitutionality. If you have problems determining the difference, I suggest you might be happier living in a country with a stricter "moral" code, like Iran.

Is that what you got out of the military when you served?

sigbet.jpg