max+patricia

Cancelled I-129F petition, marry later and file CR-1?

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

It has been a rough few months for my fiancee and I. We filed the I-129F in December last year, got NOA2 in April, had our interview date about a week ago - everything was great - but a few days before the interview we decided to cancel it. This was something that we did not take lightly - we actually canceled it a month before as well (for the same reason) but got scared and were able to contact the embassy before they returned it to NVC. This time though, we intend to leave it as it is. The embassy staff in Caracas has been excellent in their dealings with us - but we are a bit worried our back and forth may have annoyed them. We'd be annoyed by us by now...

First of all, none of this is due to inconsistency in our relationship, but rather some admittedly late considerations about our current living situations. My fiancee is 3 years into her studies at her university in Venezuela, completely paid for - and we started realizing it was crazy for her to bail on that being so close to finishing, to come here and start at zero (hardly anything would transfer) plus have to pay for all of it herself. I am also all over the place with work between the mainland and Hawaii - which I began to realize wasn't fair for her to be thrown into such back and forth right now. We came to conclude we need to finish things up to be a bit more stable before taking the next big jump. My fiancee and I have known each other for 8+ years and have been together for almost 3 years - we are just trying to do what's best for each other and for us as a couple - but realize we are dealing with some pretty serious circumstances that we need to get figured out now (and should have better considered before starting all of this)

My questions are these -

* Will our canceled I-129F/K-1 have any negative effect on us if we were to marry sometime in the next 5-6 months and file for a CR-1?

I have read some things saying "cancelled with prejudice" and "cancelled without prejudice" - but since we didn't actually even have the visa to be cancelled without prejudice, I assume this would also apply to the petition itself? They made no decision on it - we did.

I'm trying to plan this out so that my fiancee will be done with school in July next year - we could get married sometime this winter and then file for the CR-1 - probably putting our interview at sometime next summer which would be perfect timing. Is there anything we should know about our cancelling of the K-1 petition and refiling as a CR-1 visa so soon afterwards? Obviously we can explain all of this, but we are nervous this could look strange to USCIS/NVC + the embassy. Any thoughts?

* If we went the CR-1 route, how long after POE would she receive her green card?

I ask this because she would have to return to Venezuela at some point the following fall to defend her thesis and then attend the graduation ceremony in December - but we could go back for both as brief visits. I know we can file the I-131 AP for this, but when exactly could/would we do that? Do we send that with the actual I-130 petition? She would be out of the US for no more than a week or two in total, but obviously we don't want to jeopardize anything.

* In regards to our cancelled petition at the embassy being returned to NVC - will I receive anything about that? Any notice or proof of cancelling it so that we can include it in a future petition? I'd just like to show that we did this the right way - we didn't just let it expire and keep the embassy waiting - we cancelled it for good reason and intend to take it up again when it's better for us.

Sorry to make it such a long post, but thank you in advance for any advice!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

* If we went the CR-1 route, how long after POE would she receive her green card?

Not sure about the cancelling questions but with the CR1 that is a conditional resident meaning she wont have to adjust status as soon as she enters she will have a green card (a stamp in passport to begin with and then green card mailed soon there after along with her SSN)

You apply to remove conditions 90 days before the CR1 expiration for a 10 yr green card.

Edited by EAbbas

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

* Will our canceled I-129F/K-1 have any negative effect on us if we were to marry sometime in the next 5-6 months and file for a CR-1?

No, however, I suggest you explain the circumstances surrounding the withdrawl of the K1 petition in an Evolution of Relationship (EOR) letter. You had perfectly legitimate reasons for doing so.

I have read some things saying "cancelled with prejudice" and "cancelled without prejudice" - but since we didn't actually even have the visa to be cancelled without prejudice, I assume this would also apply to the petition itself? They made no decision on it - we did.

"Without prejudice" means there are no restrictions on filing another petition or applying for a visa.

Is there anything we should know about our cancelling of the K-1 petition and refiling as a CR-1 visa so soon afterwards? Obviously we can explain all of this, but we are nervous this could look strange to USCIS/NVC + the embassy. Any thoughts?

As far as withdrawing the petition goes, do it all in writing (I assume that's what you are already doing). See what I wrote above about the EOR letter when you file the petition for CR-1.

She would receive it on arrival in the form of an I-551 stamp. The actual card would come in the mail a short time later.

I know we can file the I-131 AP for this, but when exactly could/would we do that? Do we send that with the actual I-130 petition? She would be out of the US for no more than a week or two in total, but obviously we don't want to jeopardize anything.

AP is filed for when filing for adjustment of status. Since your wife will already have her green card, filing for AP will not be necessary.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Take a look at all the things you need to do, and it might make sense to get married RIGHT NOW, and then finish everything in Venezuela, and enter the US 2 YEARS from the day you were married, in which case you would get a 10-year green card.

Thanks for the info guys :)

I guess my last thing would be if anyone knows how long it takes to receive something (if I do at all) from USCIS/NVC about our K-1 petition being cancelled? Even though we wouldn't even be touching anything with the CR-1 for several months, I'd like to know it's a done deal at USCIS/NVC before submitting something else later on.

Take a look at all the things you need to do, and it might make sense to get married RIGHT NOW, and then finish everything in Venezuela, and enter the US 2 YEARS from the day you were married, in which case you would get a 10-year green card.

Definitely worth considering, however, she'll be done with what she needs to get done in less than 2 years time - and as we have already waited 6+ months for the whole I-129F drama only to start at the beginning of the line later with I-130, I know we'll be anxious soon enough. Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

My situation was similar to yous in a way.

My wife and I were married for over 2 years before filing the I-130. We did receive and RFE asking why we took so long to file.

Just like your situation my wife wanted to finish what she started with her education. I was also self employed and operted completely under a corporation. My taxes and everything was under the corp so I had no income under myself for I-864.

Our delay was based on her finishing school and me disolving my corp to file taxes under my own name.

When we sent this information in we were approved a week later.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Since you are so close to getting the K-1 visa, why not get the visa now and then decide what you will do next:

1. Never use the visa.

2. Use it but leave the country within 90 days and without getting married.

3. Use the visa, get married in the USA. But do not file adjustment of status yet.

4. Get the visa, get into the USA, get married, file the adjustment of status and then also file an I-131 to preserve status, and then go back to your home country do whatever you need to do. You will get the green card in the mail.

I see none of these hurts you.

Since you are so close to getting the K-1 visa, why not get the visa now and then decide what you will do next:

1. Never use the visa.

2. Use it but leave the country within 90 days and without getting married.

3. Use the visa, get married in the USA. But do not file adjustment of status yet.

4. Get the visa, get into the USA, get married, file the adjustment of status and then also file an I-131 to preserve status, and then go back to your home country do whatever you need to do. You will get the green card in the mail.

I see none of these hurts you.

Why get a visa to not use it? Besides, she has a valid B-2 tourist visa that was just renewed last year for another 10 years. If we went for the K-1 (which I know we would have gotten without a problem) it would have cancelled her B-2 on the spot. If she came here on the K-1 and had to go back for classes as early as September to be gone for almost a year - and we hadn't done everything for AOS - she'd be in a precarious situation.

Since she can come here anyway without a K-1 - we could marry here, she could return home, do it all that way - or we could get married there just the same and still file CR-1 as we would anyway. I know this seems crazy to alot of people that have waited and waited to get to where we are. In hindsight, I wish we would have done the CR-1 route in the first place - since we'd be pretty much done with all this nonsense already.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My situation was similar to yous in a way.

My wife and I were married for over 2 years before filing the I-130. We did receive and RFE asking why we took so long to file.

Just like your situation my wife wanted to finish what she started with her education. I was also self employed and operted completely under a corporation. My taxes and everything was under the corp so I had no income under myself for I-864.

Our delay was based on her finishing school and me disolving my corp to file taxes under my own name.

When we sent this information in we were approved a week later.

Yeh, that's interesting to know they look at it that way (as they should I guess) - but if you have a good reason for delaying something majorly important, it should (hopefully) speak volumes about the fact that you're doing things the right way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.