JS30

Processing K1 but wins DVlottery

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hi VJ members please help me with this issue. if you petition for K1 for your fiance and in the course of the processing the beneficiary wins DV Lottery can she/he abandon the K1 and follow the Lottery?

Make sure its the real thing and not a fraud, cause the DOS site has fraud warnings on that. Also I think they should make sure they meet all the requirements for the immigrant Visa before abandoning the K1.

Good luck!

Edited by LookyWhatIFound

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

the dv lottery is more expensive. but its a great opportunity and yes to ur question.

Filed I129F: 03/4/2011

Received by USCIS: 3/8/2011

NOA:3/10/2011

NOA2:06/21/2011

Case# received from NVC: 07/1/2011.

got packet 3/4: Aug/4/2011

Interview: Sept 21st 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I also got an email saying i won the DV lottery last week :( but unfortunately i am at the end of the Visa process now and just waiting for interview.

Just out of curiosity I wonder.....if for some awful reason i was denied K1 visa at interview, if i could then go ahead and use this winning DV lottery option...any ideas? :huh:

:luv:

event.png

LONDON CONSULATE AND VERMONT SERVICE CENTER

INTERVIEW DATE: 16th September 2011

♥-:¦:-·:*'""*♥:·.-:¦:-·** VISA APPROVED!!! ♥-:¦:-·:*'""*♥:·.-:¦:-·**

PASSPORT W/VISA RECEIVED: 21st September 2011

P.O.E: NEWARK, NJ ~ 26th September 2011

APPLIED FOR SS#: 17th October 2011

MARRIED: 25th October 2011

DISCOVERD PROBLEM WITH SS#: 23rd November 2011

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS, AP AND EAD PROCESS

MAILED AOS, EAD and AP: 23rd November 2011

2nd APPLICATION FOR SS#: 29th November 2011

3 HARD COPY RECEIPTS FOR AOS PACKAGE: 5th December 2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT LETTER RECEIVED: 9th December 2011

SOCIAL SECURITY #CARD RECEIVED: 12th December 2011

NOTICE RECEIPT: AOS TRANSFERED TO CSC: 19th December 2011

ATTENDED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT: 21st December 2011

APPLICATION TO CHANGE SS# SURNAME: 6th January 2012

TOLD BY SS THAT IM OUT OF STATUS, CANNOT CHANGE NAME ON SS# CARD: 24th January 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Im actually begining to think my DV lottery winning is a scam, as after reading the state.gov website it states

"The Department of State does NOT notify successful DV applicants by email."

"Some companies posing as the U.S. government have sought money in order to "complete" DV entry forms. There is no charge to download and complete the Electronic Diversity Visa Entry Form."

event.png

LONDON CONSULATE AND VERMONT SERVICE CENTER

INTERVIEW DATE: 16th September 2011

♥-:¦:-·:*'""*♥:·.-:¦:-·** VISA APPROVED!!! ♥-:¦:-·:*'""*♥:·.-:¦:-·**

PASSPORT W/VISA RECEIVED: 21st September 2011

P.O.E: NEWARK, NJ ~ 26th September 2011

APPLIED FOR SS#: 17th October 2011

MARRIED: 25th October 2011

DISCOVERD PROBLEM WITH SS#: 23rd November 2011

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS, AP AND EAD PROCESS

MAILED AOS, EAD and AP: 23rd November 2011

2nd APPLICATION FOR SS#: 29th November 2011

3 HARD COPY RECEIPTS FOR AOS PACKAGE: 5th December 2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT LETTER RECEIVED: 9th December 2011

SOCIAL SECURITY #CARD RECEIVED: 12th December 2011

NOTICE RECEIPT: AOS TRANSFERED TO CSC: 19th December 2011

ATTENDED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT: 21st December 2011

APPLICATION TO CHANGE SS# SURNAME: 6th January 2012

TOLD BY SS THAT IM OUT OF STATUS, CANNOT CHANGE NAME ON SS# CARD: 24th January 2012

Im actually begining to think my DV lottery winning is a scam, as after reading the state.gov website it states

"Some companies posing as the U.S. government have sought money in order to "complete" DV entry forms. There is no charge to download and complete the Electronic Diversity Visa Entry Form."

It's a scam. They don't notify via email and this year's lottery announcements were done yesterday on July 15th, so anything before that is not real. Happened to a friend of mine as well :(

K1 Visa Timeline
01-12-2011 Sent out I-129F packet to Lewisville, TX, via Fedex
01-18-2011 NOA1
01-24-2011 NOA1 hard copy received in the mail [dated 01-18-2011]
05-12-2011 NOA2 (approved in 114 days)
05-18-2011 NVC received, new case number assigned
05-20-2011 NVC left
06-01-2011 Embassy received
06-06-2011 Packet 3 sent
06-10-2011 Packet 4 received
07-21-2011 Interview at 9:30am - APPROVED!!
07-29-2011 Visa in hand
10-02-2011 Wedding

AOS Timeline
10-04-2011 Sent out AOS, EAD and AP application via UPS Overnight to Chicago, IL
10-05-2011 AOS application delivered @ 9:22am
10-07-2011 E-Notification via Email and Text @ 5:37pm for AOS, EAD and AP
10-26-2011 Biometrics Appointment
10-31-2011 AOS transferred to CSC
12-06-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - GC approved!!!!!!! (in 63 days)
12-07-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - EAD and AP approved (in 64 days)
12-12-2011 GREEN CARD rec'vd in mail!!!

Removing Conditions Timeline

10-19-2013 Sent out I-751 petition via USPS Priority Express

10-21-2013 I-751 petition delivered @ 12:12pm

10-25-2013 NOA received in the mail [dated 10-22-2013]

11-22-2013 Case transferred to CSC

02-05-2014 Card production ordered

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

I am by no means the authority on this but I just wanted to note that when I called the USCIS with this question I was told that if a person is engaged or married to a US citizen already, has an existing relationship that applying for the DV lottery was considered fraud.

I was also told that if my fiance seeks work here as a means to be with me it's fraud. I was basically told that everything we did besides applying for the K1 and doing that process or my going there was fraud. I really question whether or not these answers were legit, and even called back three different times to ask different people and they all said the same thing. So I would be very careful to make sure that they don't consider you committing fraud, was what I took away from that experience.

I am by no means the authority on this but I just wanted to note that when I called the USCIS with this question I was told that if a person is engaged or married to a US citizen already, has an existing relationship that applying for the DV lottery was considered fraud.

I was also told that if my fiance seeks work here as a means to be with me it's fraud. I was basically told that everything we did besides applying for the K1 and doing that process or my going there was fraud. I really question whether or not these answers were legit, and even called back three different times to ask different people and they all said the same thing. So I would be very careful to make sure that they don't consider you committing fraud, was what I took away from that experience.

Not true. Not fraud. Some work visas are dual intent, meaning the person is allowed to enter with the intent of immigrating AND working. Fancy!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

Not true. Not fraud. Some work visas are dual intent, meaning the person is allowed to enter with the intent of immigrating AND working. Fancy!

Like I said, I really have a lot of doubt as to how much the people at the call center at USCIS actually know. The amount of cross-contradictions and misinformation I have gotten from there is alarming. But it was enough to put us off trying either route and we're now seeking an immigration lawyer just to make sure we've got all our info right before we take any steps. (And of course reading the useful stuff on this forum)

My conversations pretty much went: Well what if he gets an offer of employment here? "That's fraud, since he's entering the US to be with you."

What if he wins a Diversity Visa? "Applying for a DV when there is a prior relationship is fraud." It was very unnerving. We just want to be together. Is that fraud too? :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Like I said, I really have a lot of doubt as to how much the people at the call center at USCIS actually know. The amount of cross-contradictions and misinformation I have gotten from there is alarming.

So what you are saying is calling USCIS is a lot like reading posts on VJ ? :ot::rofl: :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm not sure I understand the part about the DV lottery. Do you mean "applying to the DV while already engaged/married"? Why would it be fraud?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi VJ members please help me with this issue. if you petition for K1 for your fiance and in the course of the processing the beneficiary wins DV Lottery can she/he abandon the K1 and follow the Lottery?

Yes. Suggest I-129F petitioner withdraw the I-129F petition prior to any DS-230 filing for the Immigrant Visa, via postal letter to USCIS Service center where the petition is held (check the receipt number on the first I-797-C formletter - use that address for mailing.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am a 2004 dv winner.

you need to get a letter saying you are a winner, than you need to check your DV number and if it has a chance

100,000 letters are sent but only 100,000 G.C are issued (me and my ex wife and two kids took 4 on one number so high number never gets processed)

In 2005 ,when I actually got my G.C numbers above the mid 30-40,000 had a very little chance (my number was in the 18,000 and I got my G.C only in April and the last G.C issued in September.

If you have the letter in hand and your number is low and you only starting your K1 application, only than I'd continue with the DV.

If not, continue with the K1 process.

Good luck

I also got an email saying i won the DV lottery last week :( but unfortunately i am at the end of the Visa process now and just waiting for interview.

Just out of curiosity I wonder.....if for some awful reason i was denied K1 visa at interview, if i could then go ahead and use this winning DV lottery option...any ideas? :huh:

Don't think UK is even eligible for DV - unless you claimed birth in Ireland.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.