one...two...tree

Down but not out: Voices of the long-term unemployed

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Right, so he fits the job while others may not hence not everyone can easily find a job paying more than unemployment.

In this area anyone can find a job paying more money that unemployment pays. I will bet the same holds true just about anywhere

That was the point. It went zooming over some people's heads, my guess is they do not have a degree in rocket science.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

In this area anyone can find a job paying more money that unemployment pays. I will bet the same holds true just about anywhere

That was the point. It went zooming over some people's heads, my guess is they do not have a degree in rocket science.

So what, Gary? So what that there are plenty of jobs in your area that pay slightly more than unemployment? You can even say that about West Virginia! Is that the American dream?

*oh jeez he's typing a "response"*

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

He fits the job because he is a college student. That's my point. Do you think a grocery store manager will really want to hire someone with higher qualifications then him(her)self?

Probably not.

Timeline

What happens when he graduates and can't find a job commensurate with his education? Can he bag groceries until he's 50? Why bother studying if you can't make any more money than a high school kid? How will he survive if he has to make house payments, car payments, etc.? What if he gets hired and then becomes redundant, how will he make ends meet?

A doctorate in Physics and dual citizenship will make it pretty easy to get a job. Sorry I cannot answer you with experience. I made sure that all my children had a least master's degrees and all have remained gainfully employed throughout the recent down turn with no help from Obama. Woe is me. None of my kids have been deemed "redundant" What can I say? Perhaps you can relate some experience of becoming redundant? I have none. It is not something I worry about...call me naive.

I will note that almost no one on welfare has a college degree, I'll take the risk and get all my kids well educated. You will have to pose the "what ifs" to someone else.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So what, Gary? So what that there are plenty of jobs in your area that pay slightly more than unemployment? You can even say that about West Virginia! Is that the American dream?

If the American dream means getting paid more than you're worth and consuming more than you can afford, it's coming to an end.

The world is changing and we are running out of resources. In a way, the American dream is *the* problem - everyone wants a piece and there aren't enough resources to support its lifestyle of consumerism.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

A doctorate in Physics and dual citizenship will make it pretty easy to get a job. Sorry I cannot answer you with experience. I made sure that all my children had a least master's degrees and all have remained gainfully employed throughout the recent down turn with no help from Obama. Woe is me. None of my kids have been deemed "redundant" What can I say? Perhaps you can relate some experience of becoming redundant? I have none. It is not something I worry about...call me naive.

I will note that almost no one on welfare has a college degree, I'll take the risk and get all my kids well educated. You will have to pose the "what ifs" to someone else.

Unfortunately, a master's degree is no longer a guarantee that you will remain gainfully employed. A work friend of mine knows that full well.

If the American dream means getting paid more than you're worth and consuming more than you can afford, it's coming to an end.

The world is changing and we are running out of resources. In a way, the American dream is *the* problem - everyone wants a piece and there aren't enough resources to support its lifestyle of consumerism.

Indeed, unlimited growth can not continue with finite resources.

I think most Americans want a job that at least provides good health care. How many jobs that pay more than unemployment offer affordable, quality health care?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Timeline

I think most Americans want a job that at least provides good health care. How many jobs that pay more than unemployment offer affordable, quality health care?

For most young people, health care is such a bother. Once you have your first medical crisis, then suddenly insurance has importance.

That is about as far as I want to go off topic here, because the next rant will be about old people.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, at the moment 60 percent of Americans have employer-sponsored health

insurance.

The number was 69 percent in 2000, and a recent report estimates that 30 percent

of US businesses will stop offering health care benefits to their employees once

Obamacare goes into effect in 2014.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

He fits the job because he is a college student. That's my point. Do you think a grocery store manager will really want to hire someone with higher qualifications then him(her)self?

Probably not.

So you wouldn;'t try? Just sit at home on your @ss? Seriously?

If you are unemployed and your unemployment is about to run out why would you even mention a college degree to a grocery store manager? Really? You are going to go in for the cashiers job waving your physics degree? :rofl:

We obviously have a difference of opinion here between those that will do what they CAN for their families and those that will only do what they think they are worth or sit at home and let someone else pay them for doing nothing. It is a matter of self esteem and independence. We clearly will not agree.

If unemployment pays $450 per week (and that is maximum, you had to have had a pretty good job to get that) but I can make $525 for my family by working 50 hours at the grocery store, then I suck it up and WORK and my family is better by $75 per week, $300 per month and I am doing everything I CAN do for my family. In the meantime I stay up late at night and apply for jobs online or by mail and call in sic at the grocery store if an interview interferes with bagging groceries or stocking shelves. They will have to get over it. If you think for a second I wouldn't do this then you do not know me.

In fact, you are allowed to supplement your unemployment and in this state can make up to $625 per week between unemployment and earned income, nearly $200 per week more for my family if I work vs. siiting on my @ss

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Well, at the moment 60 percent of Americans have employer-sponsored health

insurance.

The number was 69 percent in 2000, and a recent report estimates that 30 percent

of US businesses will stop offering health care benefits to their employees once

Obamacare goes into effect in 2014.

If accurate thats one step closer to single payer I suppose.

So you wouldn;'t try? Just sit at home on your @ss? Seriously?

If you are unemployed and your unemployment is about to run out why would you even mention a college degree to a grocery store manager? Really? You are going to go in for the cashiers job waving your physics degree? :rofl:

We obviously have a difference of opinion here between those that will do what they CAN for their families and those that will only do what they think they are worth or sit at home and let someone else pay them for doing nothing. It is a matter of self esteem and independence. We clearly will not agree.

If unemployment pays $450 per week (and that is maximum, you had to have had a pretty good job to get that) but I can make $525 for my family by working 50 hours at the grocery store, then I suck it up and WORK and my family is better by $75 per week, $300 per month and I am doing everything I CAN do for my family. In the meantime I stay up late at night and apply for jobs online or by mail and call in sicj at the grocery store if an interview interferes with bagging groceries or stocking shelves. They will have to get over it.

In fact, you are allowed to supplement your unemployment and in this state can make up to $625 per week between unemployment and earned income, nearly $200 per week more for my family if I work vs. siiting on my @ss

Me personally? Sure I would dumb down my resume. However, for many that is unethical.

Edited by Sousuke

Timeline

In the meantime I stay up late at night and apply for jobs online or by mail and call in sic at the grocery store if an interview interferes with bagging groceries or stocking shelves. They will have to get over it. If you think for a second I wouldn't do this then you do not know me.

By the way you just identified another reason not to hire someone with experience.

Timeline

Unfortunately, a master's degree is no longer a guarantee that you will remain gainfully employed. A work friend of mine knows that full well.

I will pay my nickle and take my chances. A masters degree AND a desire and ability to be a valuable employee are pretty much a winning combination. I have never been unemployed in over 35 years working. Our oldset son is still working for the same employer he had when he went to college, for 16 years now, and is a director in the company. Seems to work, but I have limited experience I will concede. Someone else will have to tell you about failure.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I will pay my nickle and take my chances. A masters degree AND a desire and ability to be a valuable employee are pretty much a winning combination. I have never been unemployed in over 35 years working. Our oldset son is still working for the same employer he had when he went to college, for 16 years now, and is a director in the company. Seems to work, but I have limited experience I will concede. Someone else will have to tell you about failure.

I'm not discounting this, but as a whole its not reality for many.

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: Timeline

If accurate thats one step closer to single payer I suppose.

Single payer really is the solution, as that is the only way to force cost controls on an out of control medical industry and ration services where patients have unreasonable expectations for that industry.

I didn't want to go that far off topic, but there you go.