Stuart and Thea

The Great Barbeque Debate

Which is King?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Barbeque is King?

• Charcoal
    • Propane
    • Natural Gas (I'd class with propane as it cooks the same, but I've been told otherwise, so oh well)
    • okay, wood oven (guess some of us are lucky aren't we?)

87 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm a grill lover, it's summertime, and I've been out on the deck, pint in hand, cooking on the barbie now for weeks. The question of the day, is which barbecue/barbeque is king? Charcoal or propane?

I've grown up with propane. It's convenient, it cooks evenly and consistently, and it's so easy to get a temp exactly how you want it. You can add smokers to put in the flavour that the charcoal guys say is mandatory, but you get a nice flavour when you know what you're doing even withouth.

I love to watch Rob Rainford. He's a total man's man, and makes women more than happy to hand over the cooking duties. If he wanted to come and tend my grill... well, um... that's a different forum post entirely! There is nothing that man can't cook on his grill and make your mouth water watching him. Kangaroo? Sure, just marinate in his balsamic/ferrari/kundalini sauce and it's an orgasm on the patio!

My fiance is a charcoal guy.

Not sure I really needed to post after that one, but here goes:

I need someone to convince me that charcoal is the way to go. I know Weber grills are awesome (he's told me so already) And I'm sure it will only take a while before I get the feel for cooking on charcoal, but I gotta feel the love...

I've even gone so far as to only use my hibatchi this summer to really get a feel for it.

Hibatchi's suck.

The heat is inconsistent, and you can't put the lid on, and I'm sure there's no way I can grill a spatchcocked chicken on one when I can only cook two burgers at a time. (I went so far as to have two Hibatchis going one weekend when I needed to cook asparagus and potatoes along with the steaks)

Yes, the food tastes good. Will it be better on a Weber? I need you to walk me through this. Or help me to help him see the light...

What is it with you guys and charcoal, anyway, please enlighten me.. I need to know!

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, I'm a grill lover, it's summertime, and I've been out on the deck, pint in hand, cooking on the barbie now for weeks. The question of the day, is which barbecue/barbeque is king? Charcoal or propane?

I've grown up with propane. It's convenient, it cooks evenly and consistently, and it's so easy to get a temp exactly how you want it. You can add smokers to put in the flavour that the charcoal guys say is mandatory, but you get a nice flavour when you know what you're doing even withouth.

I love to watch Rob Rainford. He's a total man's man, and makes women more than happy to hand over the cooking duties. If he wanted to come and tend my grill... well, um... that's a different forum post entirely! There is nothing that man can't cook on his grill and make your mouth water watching him. Kangaroo? Sure, just marinate in his balsamic/ferrari/kundalini sauce and it's an orgasm on the patio!

My fiance is a charcoal guy.

Not sure I really needed to post after that one, but here goes:

I need someone to convince me that charcoal is the way to go. I know Weber grills are awesome (he's told me so already) And I'm sure it will only take a while before I get the feel for cooking on charcoal, but I gotta feel the love...

I've even gone so far as to only use my hibatchi this summer to really get a feel for it.

Hibatchi's suck.

The heat is inconsistent, and you can't put the lid on, and I'm sure there's no way I can grill a spatchcocked chicken on one when I can only cook two burgers at a time. (I went so far as to have two Hibatchis going one weekend when I needed to cook asparagus and potatoes along with the steaks)

Yes, the food tastes good. Will it be better on a Weber? I need you to walk me through this. Or help me to help him see the light...

What is it with you guys and charcoal, anyway, please enlighten me.. I need to know!

Go on...devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif Some people are hooked on the Egg but no two people will ever agree on which is best. Propane is reliable but the charcoal types also make valid points. I have no opinion one way or the other. I tend to favour charcoal but it's all about technique. Men like fire, UGGGGH!!! BTW, if you've been cooking on the barbie for weeks, don't you think the food is done by now? tongue.gif As for the enlightenment, your fiance might not approve if I started marinating your... devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Charcoal rules. It can be a pain in the a$$ at times, but I find it well worth the effort. Most of the time. :devil: Charcoal grilling is an art, and it takes time to master the grill and the various types and brands of charcoal. There is a bit to learn about building and maintaining the fire and the cooking methods to use, ie, direct, indirect, a combination of both. It depends on what you are cooking. Also charcoal type, lump or briquettes. Each has their strong points depending upon what you are cooking. Not to mention the many brands of each type. I can provide you with a few links on charcoal and grilling, smoking, and cooking barbecue. There are differences between them.

Weber makes excellent gas and charcoal grills in all shapes and sizes. They also make smokers and a few electric grills to boot. Gas certainly has its place and at times is more convenient and cleaner than charcoal. Food cooked on a Weber gasser is still excellent, but IMHO, the same food cooked properly over charcoal is better. And that's the hard part, learning to cook well with charcoal.

By the way, excellent topic. :thumbs: I hope we get some good input here.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

No one even mentioned the new high tech way to grill. Even ST doesn't know. Here is some school for ye behind the times. :whistle:

Infrared Grills – the New Way to Barbecue

31MlDPGN0UL._SL500_AA300_.jpgOnce the good weather hits us there is a big move by people to drag out their gas or charcoal barbecues, dust them off and flash them up so they can enjoy grills steak, chicken and all the other great barbecue food we all enjoy. But how many actually know there is another way of cooking your food outdoors that will produce food just like the professionals. Well there is, the Infrared Grills.

Infrared Grills is a relatively new form of grilling that is now available outside the commercial establishments. Ever had a char broiled steak with those great char marks, from a commercial restaurant. Well, now that the patent expired on this Infrared Grill technology, this technology is now available to the general population. Companies like Char Broil, TEC and Solaire, to name but a few, have begun to manufacture Infrared Grills for general consumer use.

One company, Char Broil, produce Infrared Grills and one in particular – the Magnum 340 Quantum Infrared Two-Burner Gas Grill, is worthy of a mention here. These Infrared Grills feature Char Broils award winning Quantum Infrared Cooking System. This system completely stops flare up from grease dropping on to hot coals. You have all the versatility of a normal grill, such as adding wood chips to add a smoky flavor, but none of the headaches.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

Charcoal rules. It can be a pain in the a$ at times, but I find it well worth the effort. Most of the time. :devil: Charcoal grilling is an art, and it takes time to master the grill and the various types and brands of charcoal. There is a bit to learn about building and maintaining the fire and the cooking methods to use, ie, direct, indirect, a combination of both. It depends on what you are cooking. Also charcoal type, lump or briquettes. Each has their strong points depending upon what you are cooking. Not to mention the many brands of each type. I can provide you with a few links on charcoal and grilling, smoking, and cooking barbecue. There are differences between them.

Weber makes excellent gas and charcoal grills in all shapes and sizes. They also make smokers and a few electric grills to boot. Gas certainly has its place and at times is more convenient and cleaner than charcoal. Food cooked on a Weber gasser is still excellent, but IMHO, the same food cooked properly over charcoal is better. And that's the hard part, learning to cook well with charcoal.

By the way, excellent topic. :thumbs: I hope we get some good input here.

Seeing how I've posted, I guess that scuttles that plan. tongue.gif I agree, there are so many variables that it isn't just a simple choice. Weber is top-notch, the Kamado style grills (Big Green Egg, GrillDome, etc.) are right up there. good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

IR5

Check out this forum: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

and this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

If you want to learn more about charcoal than any normal human should ever know, check this out:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

In particular, here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Check out this forum: http://www.bbq-breth...forum/index.php

and this thread: http://www.bbq-breth...display.php?f=5

If you want to learn more about charcoal than any normal human should ever know, check this out:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

In particular, here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

IR5

Seeing how I've posted, I guess that scuttles that plan. tongue.gif I agree, there are so many variables that it isn't just a simple choice. Weber is top-notch, the Kamado style grills (Big Green Egg, GrillDome, etc.) are right up there. good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

The Kamado style cookers are excellent, and the Big Green Egg is excellent for grilling and smoking/slow cooking. I've read a lot of good things about the BGE. The ceramic cooker really holds in the heat and is very fuel efficient. Steven would love it. :devil: :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

The Kamado style cookers are excellent, and the Big Green Egg is excellent for grilling and smoking/slow cooking. I've read a lot of good things about the BGE. The ceramic cooker really holds in the heat and is very fuel efficient. Steven would love it. :devil: :devil:

no0pb.gif He'd use a parabolic dish covered in aluminum foil to create a solar cooker. yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif The BGE seems to be the real deal but someone has to go to a tailgate party at Gillette Stadium to verify this. devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

IR5

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i like smokers, preferably a cold / cool smoker...

if you put a gun to my head, though - i'm using charcoal grill.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !