loosegee

Didn't disclose Intention to Marry at POE

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone. I just joined up and have a question.

I am currently in the US from the UK on a visa wavier. I am due to fly home to the UK this Sunday, 17th July 2011. My now wife lives in California and a few months ago her mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. My wife and i weren't supposed to get married until i moved to the US next year but because of the news with her mom we decided to get married while i was here now. We made the decision to get married in April this year and i flew to California in May with the intention of getting married. At the port of entry in New Jersey when asked what the purpose of my visit was i just said that i was here to spend some time with my friend and their family because my friends mother was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. I have been to the US to visit my wife 7 times in the past 4 years and i never once mentioned a girlfriend or fiancee. I always said i was visiting friends in case they didn't let me in.

We have started gathering all our information and filled out the I-130 form. All we need to do now is gather some affidavits of support and then after i go home my wife is going to petition to bring me back. We are a little worried though in case they ask what i said at the port of entry when i arrived here to get married. Technically i didn't tell the whole truth.

My question is.

Will the fact that i just said i wanted to visit my friends because their mother was sick and didn't mention that i was also getting married go against us an if so, to what degree?

My intention isn't to stay here now. I intend to return home and wait for the process to be completed.

To summarise

Back in April my fiancee got news that her mother was terminally ill.

She called me and told me about this and we decided to get married during my upcoming visit in May because she wanted her mother to be at and able to enjoy our wedding.

I entered the US but didn't mention my wedding intentions

We are now married and i am returning home in 2 days while we file the I-130 form and wait for the process to complete so i can return as a permanent resident next year

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You did nothing wrong, unless they specifically asked you about getting married. You are allowed to get married on the VWP, and you are doing the right thing by leaving within the 90 days and applying for the CR-1, so no problems.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am currently in the US from the UK on a visa wavier. I am due to fly home to the UK this Sunday, 17th July 2011. My now wife lives in California and a few months ago her mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. My wife and i weren't supposed to get married until i moved to the US next year but because of the news with her mom we decided to get married while i was here now. We made the decision to get married in April this year and i flew to California in May with the intention of getting married. At the port of entry in New Jersey when asked what the purpose of my visit was i just said that i was here to spend some time with my friend and their family because my friends mother was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. I have been to the US to visit my wife 7 times in the past 4 years and i never once mentioned a girlfriend or fiancee. I always said i was visiting friends in case they didn't let me in.

We have started gathering all our information and filled out the I-130 form. All we need to do now is gather some affidavits of support and then after i go home my wife is going to petition to bring me back. We are a little worried though in case they ask what i said at the port of entry when i arrived here to get married. Technically i didn't tell the whole truth.

My question is.

Will the fact that i just said i wanted to visit my friends because their mother was sick and didn't mention that i was also getting married go against us an if so, to what degree?

My intention isn't to stay here now. I intend to return home and wait for the process to be completed.

To summarise

She called me and told me about this and we decided to get married during my upcoming visit in May because she wanted her mother to be at and able to enjoy our wedding.

We are now married and i am returning home in 2 days while we file the I-130 form and wait for the process to complete so i can return as a permanent resident next year

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Non issue

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you have done nothing wrong... it is not illegal to come to the US and get married... people have destination weddings here all the time.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My question is.

To summarise

I don't think you're going to have any problems. The USCIS won't know WHY you visited, just that you did. It's also not a problem because you didn't come to the US with intent to stay. Because you are are going home, you'll be perfectly fine!

USCIS:

04/25/2011~ I-130 sent

04/27/2011~ NOA1 received!

07/21/2011~ NOA2 email and text! 85 days!

07/25/2011~ NOA2 hard copy received!

NVC:

08/01/2011~ NVC received petition

08/29/2011~ Received case number and IIN

09/02/2011~ I-864 AOS bill received and paid

09/02/2011~ DS3032 sent by email

09/05/2011~ DS3032 accepted

09/07/2011~ I-864 status PAID

09/07/2011~ I-864 package sent overnight

09/07/2011~ IV bill recieved and paid

09/09/2011~ IV status PAID

09/09/2011~ IV package sent overnight

09/15/2011~ Received I-864 RFE

09/16/2011~ Sent RFE response overnight

09/16/2011~ Medical

09/21/2011~ NVC received RFE response

09/27/2011~ CASE COMPLETE!

11/25/2011~ Interview in London

12/**/2011~ POE

Timeline

Sorry I realized I misposted in the wrong forum. Will repost CR-1 category.

In the future, please do not repost.... somebody will move it to the correct forum

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks for the quick replies. Appreciate it.

@payxibka

Usually a destination wedding involves husband and wife returning to their home country. I'm sure if I'd mentioned I intended to marry a US citizen there'd have been a problem

and? your intent is to do such and your wife's is as well... just happens to be two different countries at the time being

the issue is not the marriage... the issue is intending on STAYING

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

duplicate topics have been merged.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Since you are planning on returning home and following the CR-1 process it won't be a big deal. You may have entered on the VWP with the intent to get married but not with the intent to immigrate so it is a non-issue.

Someone else can correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't think you need to wait until you leave to start the petition. Unless you need to go home to gather some documents or something for the petition, there is no reason from the USCIS standpoint that you can't start it while you are in the US. You just need to return home for the interview and all is good.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

No problem. If you were going to try to file AOS then it would be a problem. (Well, honestly it probably wouldn't be a problem, but it should be a problem, and you'd be in the wrong legally and morally lol.) But for CR1 you really needn't worry at all :-) All they're interested in is your marriage certificate and that's it! When I married my husband I said I was visiting my fiance but didn't mention any marriage plans. Never lie to an immigration official, but that doesn't mean you have to volunteer your life story and create more hassle for yourself :-)

Like Casprd said, you can send off the I-130 any time, even today.

Of course, as you're returning home in two days and have already filled out the I-130 as if you were back in the UK this isn't very helpful for you to know now. But anyway.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; :ot: I said I was visiting a friend too instead of, at that time, my boyfriend. Well, they found out that me and Aaron were dating during secondary inspection. They denied my entry May last year and put me on the first plane back.. Never lie again! You may also end up on the first plane back home!

:ot2: Other than, I don't see any problems. You are flying back home and start the legal procedures :thumbs: . It would be illegal to get married and stay (intend to immigrate).

Good luck on the rest of your journey :star:

Edited by Channah&Aaron

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.