one...two...tree

Some politicians might not believe in climate change, but insurance companies do.

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Politicians might not believe in climate change, but insurance companies do. They track disasters, and it turns out that disasters just in the first six months of this year already cost the world more than any other year of disasters on record.

The price tag for 2011 disasters reached $265 billion. Most of that cost ($210 billion) came from the tsunami in Japan. But earthquakes in New Zealand, tornadoes in the United States and flooding in Australia also contributed. Before 2011, the record-holding year for costliest disasters ever was 2005, the year Hurricane Katrina devastated the southeastern U.S. coast.

Even people who don't believe in climate change should take note of this trend: You can't choose not to believe in insurance premiums, and they're going up.

straight to the source

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

insurance premiums always go up.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
:rolleyes:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

When risk goes down, premium goes down.

when does risk ever go down?

also include in your equation - the constant increase in building materials and labor for houses. that is pretty much why i made my earlier statement.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Timeline

when does risk ever go down?

also include in your equation - the constant increase in building materials and labor for houses. that is pretty much why i made my earlier statement.

you said insurance premiums never go down, auto insurance is the best example of insurance that goes down as you age and get married and 'settle down'.

as for homes, there are homes in a nearby town that are having their flood insurance premiums adjusted downward due to an army corp of engineers project expected to reduce risk of floods in that area.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Politicians might not believe in climate change, but insurance companies do. They track disasters, and it turns out that disasters just in the first six months of this year already cost the world more than any other year of disasters on record.

The price tag for 2011 disasters reached $265 billion. Most of that cost ($210 billion) came from the tsunami in Japan. But earthquakes in New Zealand, tornadoes in the United States and flooding in Australia also contributed. Before 2011, the record-holding year for costliest disasters ever was 2005, the year Hurricane Katrina devastated the southeastern U.S. coast.

Even people who don't believe in climate change should take note of this trend: You can't choose not to believe in insurance premiums, and they're going up.

straight to the source

Well that's a misleading headline if I ever saw one. Most of the cost comes from earthquakes, which, at least to the best of our knowledge, aren't weather related and have nothing to do with global warming. You could just as easily say that insurance companies believe in the Bible, since the Bible predicts a prevalence of earthquakes in the last days. Insurance companies believe in their pocketbook.

But Kudos to Steven for confirming what most already suspected about the global warming faithful: whatever happens, whether it's colder, hotter, wetter, dryer, windier, or calmer, it is evidence that global warming is going on.

Edited by SMR

Timeline

you said insurance premiums never go down, auto insurance is the best example of insurance that goes down as you age and get married and 'settle down'.

as for homes, there are homes in a nearby town that are having their flood insurance premiums adjusted downward due to an army corp of engineers project expected to reduce risk of floods in that area.

yeah, auto - but i wasn't referencing autos - my bad.

i've yet to see an adjustment downward in any home insurance. the flood plain out here keeps expanding due to development, it shrinking due to anything the corps of engineers might do is laughable *points at intentionally blown up dikes*

But Kudos to Steven for confirming what most already suspected about the global warming faithful: whatever happens, whether it's colder, hotter, wetter, dryer, windier, or calmer, it is evidence that global warming is going on.

steven posting threads about global warming causes global warming! :protest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The insurance industry today launched a major initiative to help tackle climate change and encourage consumers to be more environmentally friendly, which could lead to the introduction of more "green" insurance policies.

A group of global insurers, reinsurers and brokers has developed a set of ClimateWise principles that aim to do everything from reducing the environmental impact of their own businesses to rewarding customers for cutting their greenhouse gas emissions.

Climate change is predicted to lead to an increase in extreme weather events, which could cost the insurance industry dear. This summer's floods in the UK are expected to result in a bill in excess of £3bn.

While the incidents may not be a direct result of climate change, such events, and subsequent costs, are likely to become more common.

The group claimed the ClimateWise principles would enable companies throughout the world to build climate change into their business operations.

This could result in more insurers offering lower motor insurance premiums for those who drive hybrid cars, such as those offered by More Than and CIS.

Home insurers will also encourage people in areas at risk of flooding to repair their homes in a more flood resistant way, such as by putting in concrete rather than wooden floors.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/sep/13/business.insurance

Timeline

Home insurers will also encourage people in areas at risk of flooding to repair their homes in a more flood resistant way, such as by putting in concrete rather than wooden floors.

how about don't build in a flood zone?

This could result in more insurers offering lower motor insurance premiums for those who drive hybrid cars, such as those offered by More Than and CIS.

why, are they less likely to get in an accident or have a claim?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

life is about risk mitigation, not risk avoidance. you know that.

now reconcile that with your lack of firearms........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *