jac_chappin

Yesssssss! We got pink!

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi VJ family! A big hello from HCMC, Vietnam.

I'm extremely happy to report that my fiancée and I got k-1 visa approved yesterday 7/14/11 and know that success couldn't have been possible without your support throughout process.

A heartfelt "thank you" to everyone that guided me and responded to my many questions. You definitely made a difference!

My approach for the visa interview was to prepare for the toughest interview possible which entailed weeks of work on my part as well as my fiancee's. In addition, once we had the appointment letter, I booked a flight to Vietnam because I wanted to be there for my fiancee for support and also incase something came up that I could handle more easily.

I was really worried because the name on the appointment letter was out of sequence and then realized that on ALL of the forms submitted (I-129f, G-325a, DS-230, DS-2001) , I had swapped my fiancee's middle names (she has 2) but this didn't present a problem.

I did however talk to two different people at the consulate the day before interview about my concern and they both assured me that the middle name swapping was not a problem. Apparently this is a common problem in Vietnam. They also stated that name corrections are done the day of the interview based on the beneficiaries birth certificate.

Then I posed the question about the background checks going against the wrong name since middle was swapped and was told that they run the background check before visa is issued. Very interesting! They said it's actually conducted the day of the interview and I suspect the fingerprints taken are used for such check.

So we got to the consulate around 7:30 AM for the 9:30 AM appointment. We entered the consulate through a side door only to come out again then enter the main consulate entrance. I guess they don't want a big line in front of consulate.

We waited for about 15 minutes once we entered the side entrance then 5 minutes to enter main entrance. We went through security check and I got scanned then proceeded to get in line for our number. The lady at the window was very rude by the way. She asked me for my passport and asked my fiancee the name on it then gave it back.

We waited for about 30 minutes and got called up for paperwork. We had two piles of documents required. One pile contained originals (birth certificates (mine was translated in the US from Spanish to English by a certified translator, ID card,

justice record check, family registration book) and the other copies (guys was very nice and I was joking with him). We also had 2 big binders containing evidence of our bona fide relationship separated by before/after Dam Hoi. Evidence consisted of the following:

1. Pictures (pictures with fiancee's family in one ziplog bag and pictures of only us in another for easy access).

2. Att cell logs, PIngo logs, Skype logs

3. Receipts for expenses for Dam Hoi (ring, restaurant, cake, photographer, Ao Dai)

4. Receipts for visits to Vietnam

5. Notarized timeline

6. Notarized proof of domicile for the last 10 years with supporting evidence ( utility bills, lease contracts, insurance bills)

7. Itinerary and boarding passes for all of my trips to Vietnam

8. Notarized letters from my family stating that they fully support our relationship

9. Signed letters from her parents as well. As I understand it they don't notarize documents in Vietnam like they do in the US. My fiancée checked at two notary publics in HCMC and was told the same thing.

10. Financial support (wire transfer receipts)

Each binder had a listing of evidence and I added our best picture (before and after Dam Hoi) to cover sheet in order to catch the CO's attention.

Below are the specifics of our case:

1. Met fiancée when I visited Vietnam in April 2010

2. I'm Hispanic and 40 years old. Fiancée is 22 (possible red flag)

3. Got engaged in December 2010 over the phone

4. Had Dam Hoi/engament party in March 2011

5. Visited my fiancée 4 times (including my current visit for interview)

So my fiancée’s number got called for actual interview and I walked up with her to window carrying evidence (about 10 pounds worth) (the waiting area felt very tense and you could see the stress on people's face).

I did this on purpose so CO could see that I was there with her. Once I placed evidence on window, I smiled at CO & translator and said good morning then walked away.

As I was walking away, CO called me back and asked me if I'd like to stay for interview and I said "YES" so we got sworn in. (I was stunned because I've never heard of a case where the fiancé gets invited by the CO to stay for interview).

I noticed the pink slip sitting at counter and knew the pink slip was ours thus reducing my stress level (note: pink slip is actual checklist of documents that got checked in earlier).

The CO asked us to slide our evidence through window and started asking the following questions:

1. How did we meet?

2. Where I work? What I do?

3. If we had Dam Hoi? How many people attended? When was it?

4. Did anyone from US go and I said no because it’s very expensive to go to Vietnam especially for my Mom since she is retired. CO said he understood.

5. Our marriage plans?

6. If we were married (trick question because he knew it was a K-1 visa)? This was asked by guy checking in paperwork also.

CO sifted through the evidence quickly and said, “wow, you have everything in here.”

I replied, “ yup, it’s my job to make your job easier and he said he appreciated that.”

Then he said, "I approve your visa and asked when I was going back to US?" I said on “7/17/11” and he said “That’s too bad because if I wait she can go with you.”

He also asked me how my fiancée’s parents felt about her moving to the US and I said “it was bittersweet because they’ll miss her but happy.” He said “maybe they can visit her.” I said “for sure.”

He signed pink slip and told us to pick up visa in a week. I gave him a sincere “thank you” from the bottome of my heart and he laughed. I hugged and kissed my fiancée and we walked away extremely happy. The other folks waiting were just looking at us in a crazy way. The CO’s decision was validated even more based on our reaction after he gave us the pink slip. He was probably thinking, “ yup, they are in love alright.”

Parting thoughts:

1. If your relationship is real visa will eventually come so please have faith.

2. Have thorough documentation of bona fide relationship

3. Try to be with your fiancée for interview if you can because it helps with her confidence but more importantly it shows CO your dedication to relationship. Heck, CO might even invite you to stay for interview ☺. This made my fiancée more comfortable. We were even joking with CO about prime rib.

4. The CO was a young Caucasian male in his mid 20s.

5. Other interviews were taking 15-20 minutes and beneficiaries were getting grilled

6. They had the complete K-1 package I submitted in January.

7. I asked my fiancée to dress as if she was going to a job interview.

8. Based on hundreds of post, I compiled a list of 100 questions or so and wrote answers to them so my fiancée could study them. She studied them for over a month

9. I visited Vietnam a month prior to interview (didn’t think interview was going to be scheduled in July) and made a point to visit consulate and speak to a CO about my case. I wanted to make sure they noted I was there in person and they did (this showed another visit to see my fiancée). Reason I know is because when I called DOS my request to get e-mail of when interview was scheduled was in the system. I never got e-mail but it’s ok. They knew I was there and that’s all that matters.

10. Get the justice checks as soon as packet 3 is sent. It takes a month to get but having them before packet 4 is sent reduces the stress level.

11. As soon as you find out from DOS that packet 3 is sent download forms contained in packet 3 and take them to Consulate. My fiancée never received packet 3. We waited 3 weeks and finally just downloaded forms from Consulate web site.

I sincerely hope that my VJ experience summary helps other VJ members through their own journey. I’ll post 100 interview questions so other members can benefit as well.

Best wishes to all!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many thanks for the detailed information....

Congrats and wish you a happy married life (eventually you have to marry within 90days of fiance arrival in US....:D )

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from ROC to K1 Progress Report forum as ROC only happens two years after you get the greencard *****

Congrats!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Excellent review! Congratulations. star_smile.gif

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Congratz to you both guys...we were waiting for your results back in the VN forum the last couple days...Quan thought you guys were too busy celebrating and forgot to post..haha..now I know you posted in here.

Anyhow...time to help her packing and have a pleasant flight back :dance:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Great to hear. Congrats to you both.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Hey hey jac,

Great news! So happy for you. One question, when you mentioned that you stayed for the interview did you actually partake or where you hanging out at the counter with your SO?

Congrats again, mine is coming up!!!

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm extremely happy to report that my fiancée and I got k-1 visa approved yesterday 7/14/11 and know that success couldn't have been possible without your support throughout process.

A heartfelt "thank you" to everyone that guided me and responded to my many questions. You definitely made a difference!

My approach for the visa interview was to prepare for the toughest interview possible which entailed weeks of work on my part as well as my fiancee's. In addition, once we had the appointment letter, I booked a flight to Vietnam because I wanted to be there for my fiancee for support and also incase something came up that I could handle more easily.

I was really worried because the name on the appointment letter was out of sequence and then realized that on ALL of the forms submitted (I-129f, G-325a, DS-230, DS-2001) , I had swapped my fiancee's middle names (she has 2) but this didn't present a problem.

I did however talk to two different people at the consulate the day before interview about my concern and they both assured me that the middle name swapping was not a problem. Apparently this is a common problem in Vietnam. They also stated that name corrections are done the day of the interview based on the beneficiaries birth certificate.

Then I posed the question about the background checks going against the wrong name since middle was swapped and was told that they run the background check before visa is issued. Very interesting! They said it's actually conducted the day of the interview and I suspect the fingerprints taken are used for such check.

So we got to the consulate around 7:30 AM for the 9:30 AM appointment. We entered the consulate through a side door only to come out again then enter the main consulate entrance. I guess they don't want a big line in front of consulate.

We waited for about 15 minutes once we entered the side entrance then 5 minutes to enter main entrance. We went through security check and I got scanned then proceeded to get in line for our number. The lady at the window was very rude by the way. She asked me for my passport and asked my fiancee the name on it then gave it back.

We waited for about 30 minutes and got called up for paperwork. We had two piles of documents required. One pile contained originals (birth certificates (mine was translated in the US from Spanish to English by a certified translator, ID card,

justice record check, family registration book) and the other copies (guys was very nice and I was joking with him). We also had 2 big binders containing evidence of our bona fide relationship separated by before/after Dam Hoi. Evidence consisted of the following:

1. Pictures (pictures with fiancee's family in one ziplog bag and pictures of only us in another for easy access).

3. Receipts for expenses for Dam Hoi (ring, restaurant, cake, photographer, Ao Dai)

5. Notarized timeline

6. Notarized proof of domicile for the last 10 years with supporting evidence ( utility bills, lease contracts, insurance bills)

8. Notarized letters from my family stating that they fully support our relationship

9. Signed letters from her parents as well. As I understand it they don't notarize documents in Vietnam like they do in the US. My fiancée checked at two notary publics in HCMC and was told the same thing.

Each binder had a listing of evidence and I added our best picture (before and after Dam Hoi) to cover sheet in order to catch the CO's attention.

So my fiancée’s number got called for actual interview and I walked up with her to window carrying evidence (about 10 pounds worth) (the waiting area felt very tense and you could see the stress on people's face).

I did this on purpose so CO could see that I was there with her. Once I placed evidence on window, I smiled at CO & translator and said good morning then walked away.

As I was walking away, CO called me back and asked me if I'd like to stay for interview and I said "YES" so we got sworn in. (I was stunned because I've never heard of a case where the fiancé gets invited by the CO to stay for interview).

I noticed the pink slip sitting at counter and knew the pink slip was ours thus reducing my stress level (note: pink slip is actual checklist of documents that got checked in earlier).

The CO asked us to slide our evidence through window and started asking the following questions:

1. How did we meet?

4. Did anyone from US go and I said no because it’s very expensive to go to Vietnam especially for my Mom since she is retired. CO said he understood.

5. Our marriage plans?

6. If we were married (trick question because he knew it was a K-1 visa)? This was asked by guy checking in paperwork also.

CO sifted through the evidence quickly and said, “wow, you have everything in here.”

I replied, “ yup, it’s my job to make your job easier and he said he appreciated that.”

Then he said, "I approve your visa and asked when I was going back to US?" I said on “7/17/11” and he said “That’s too bad because if I wait she can go with you.”

He also asked me how my fiancée’s parents felt about her moving to the US and I said “it was bittersweet because they’ll miss her but happy.” He said “maybe they can visit her.” I said “for sure.”

He signed pink slip and told us to pick up visa in a week. I gave him a sincere “thank you” from the bottome of my heart and he laughed. I hugged and kissed my fiancée and we walked away extremely happy. The other folks waiting were just looking at us in a crazy way. The CO’s decision was validated even more based on our reaction after he gave us the pink slip. He was probably thinking, “ yup, they are in love alright.”

Parting thoughts:

3. Try to be with your fiancée for interview if you can because it helps with her confidence but more importantly it shows CO your dedication to relationship. Heck, CO might even invite you to stay for interview ☺. This made my fiancée more comfortable. We were even joking with CO about prime rib.

5. Other interviews were taking 15-20 minutes and beneficiaries were getting grilled

8. Based on hundreds of post, I compiled a list of 100 questions or so and wrote answers to them so my fiancée could study them. She studied them for over a month

9. I visited Vietnam a month prior to interview (didn’t think interview was going to be scheduled in July) and made a point to visit consulate and speak to a CO about my case. I wanted to make sure they noted I was there in person and they did (this showed another visit to see my fiancée). Reason I know is because when I called DOS my request to get e-mail of when interview was scheduled was in the system. I never got e-mail but it’s ok. They knew I was there and that’s all that matters.

10. Get the justice checks as soon as packet 3 is sent. It takes a month to get but having them before packet 4 is sent reduces the stress level.

11. As soon as you find out from DOS that packet 3 is sent download forms contained in packet 3 and take them to Consulate. My fiancée never received packet 3. We waited 3 weeks and finally just downloaded forms from Consulate web site.

I sincerely hope that my VJ experience summary helps other VJ members through their own journey. I’ll post 100 interview questions so other members can benefit as well.

Best wishes to all!

Congrats and thank you so much for being thorough with all that you went through. I try to read on here everyday to make sure I am ready. I to plan on being there for the interview. I have read of others being in the room at the time of the interview. Did they let you actually answer questions? Sounds like you did a good job on the evidence. I am in the early stage. My petition was over 250 pages long. Even included laundry reciepts from getting the wedding dress cleaned

after the pictures and Dinh Hon. Thanks again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hI I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU....

5. Notarized timeline

1. How did we meet?

5. Our marriage plans?

Parting thoughts:

Best wishes to all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.