Dante & Geor

k-2 question

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

thems the rules whether you like it or not... why is it OK for him to be peruvian by birthright but not a usc?

We are both Peruvian by birth. My hubby-to-be filed for his citizenship before we even met... We just want our son to decide by himself that's all. And I'm sorry by it just happen that I LOVE the country I was born, and I want my son at least get the right to decide... I'm sorry but it's just how I think, but I don't want to leave him here with my parents... so I guess there would be no option for us

10-24-2012: AOS, EAD, AP Sent

11-04-2012: NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

11-06-2012: Biometrics App Letter

11-16-2012: My baby boy was born

11-19-2012: Biometrics Appointment

12-29-2012: AP Approved

01-04-2013: EAD Approved

01-10-2013: Combo Card Arrived

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are both Peruvian by birth. My hubby-to-be filed for his citizenship before we even met... We just want our son to decide by himself that's all. And I'm sorry by it just happen that I LOVE the country I was born, and I want my son at least get the right to decide... I'm sorry but it's just how I think, but I don't want to leave him here with my parents... so I guess there would be no option for us

You never answered my question... does Peru not allow dual citizenship? because the US does not care as he can be BOTH, but will be a USC when in the USA and he can be Peruvian every where else

YMMV

Timeline

You never answered my question... does Peru not allow dual citizenship? because the US does not care as he can be BOTH, but will be a USC when in the USA and he can be Peruvian every where else

I didn't answer because I don't know the answer. I guess I have to find out over here...

Oh I forgot, when we got his birth certificate, we (hubby-to-be and I) both identified ourselves as peruvians, since my hubby-to-be happens to have identification number over here, because he get his citizenship when he was over 18... so his birth certificate states his mom and dad are peruvians

Edited by Dante & Geor

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

For sure!!! So your best suggestion is to leave behind my son! -.-! :bonk:

I'm not offering a suggestion. If you want your child with you in the US, he must come in as a citizen. If you don't want him to be a citizen, then he must stay in Peru. You have 4 choices:

1. Move to the US with your child and be with your fiance.

2. Move to the US and be with your fiance and leave your child in Peru.

3. Stay in Peru with your child and leave your fiance in the US.

4. Stay in Peru with your child and have your fiance move to Peru.

The first option requires your child to claim US citizenship.

The last 3 options allows your child to not claim his US citizenship.

Those are your choices, not my suggestions.

Patience is required for this process.

Timeline

I didn't answer because I don't know the answer. I guess I have to find out over here...

if they do then it appears your making a lot of fuss about nothing... as he can still be Peruvian in 194 out of the 195 countries in the world

Oh I forgot, when we got his birth certificate, we (hubby-to-be and I) both identified ourselves as peruvians, since my hubby-to-be happens to have identification number over here, because he get his citizenship when he was over 18... so his birth certificate states his mom and dad are peruvians

moot point as far as the US is concerned...

YMMV

Timeline

moot point as far as the US is concerned...

I don't understand this last part

Edited by Dante & Geor

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Timeline

I don't understand this last part

US does not care that the BC only indicates that the mommy/daddy are Peruvians....

YMMV

Timeline

US does not care that the BC only indicates that the mommy/daddy are Peruvians....

So you're saying it wont be an issue if we file his CRBA?

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

You said you don't want to decide for your son but you are already deciding for him by denying him his citizenship right. He IS already a US citizen. If, upon age of consent, he decides to be another national, he can always renounce his US citizenship and take that of his ancestors. I would call that his decision. In the eyes of the United States, that child is a US citizen already and you cannot deny that - but you can certainly refuse to file for his travel papers and leave him there until he is old enough. If the father demands his child to be brought to the US, the US government will attempt to do that. If the immigration authorities determine that the child is a US citizen by a parent, they can't issue any visa as visa is for foreigners. Don't look things from your perceptive only. Look it from different angles and you will see why.

Timeline

You said you don't want to decide for your son but you are already deciding for him by denying him his citizenship right. He IS already a US citizen. If, upon age of consent, he decides to be another national, he can always renounce his US citizenship and take that of his ancestors. I would call that his decision. In the eyes of the United States, that child is a US citizen already and you cannot deny that - but you can certainly refuse to file for his travel papers and leave him there until he is old enough. If the father demands his child to be brought to the US, the US government will attempt to do that. If the immigration authorities determine that the child is a US citizen by a parent, they can't issue any visa as visa is for foreigners. Don't look things from your perceptive only. Look it from different angles and you will see why.

I not denying anything for my son, he has already a citizenship which is peruvian. I guess that's because I was here when my due time arrived. HIS father is supporting me on this, but if we don't have any options available, we might end up filing this forms for him. I'm not happy though :angry:

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Timeline

So you're saying it wont be an issue if we file his CRBA?

No, they will determine the father's US citizenship status as of the date the child was born. and if based on his status, they will determine if citizenship passes via parentage or not, if so, then it they will approve the CRBA and issue the child a US passport.

Millions of people are dual nationality all over the world..

My son has a biological Bulgarian father, a Ukrainian mother and was born in Moldova. He is a Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Moldovan citizen,... soon he will also be a USC.

YMMV

Timeline

No, they will determine the father's US citizenship status as of the date the child was born. and if based on his status, they will determine if citizenship passes via parentage or not, if so, then it they will approve the CRBA and issue the child a US passport.

Millions of people are dual nationality all over the world..

My son has a biological Bulgarian father, a Ukrainian mother and was born in Moldova. He is a Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Moldovan citizen,... soon he will also be a USC.

Thank you for your responses :thumbs: , at least you wasn't judging me :unsure: I have one last question for you if you don't mind. Can we get a DNA test from any laboratory, or it has to be where the USEM send us or is it mandatory in any CRBA since he(USC) is not here and can't be here? Another issue is my hubby-to-be can't be here to file these papers since he just started a new job (with USCIS I may say) so I don't know how we're gonna do this :unsure: :unsure:

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

If your son's biological father who is stated on his birth certificate is a US citizen...then your son is a US citizen...end of story. If your son is to enter the USA, then he must enter as a US citizen. There is no "choice" here. He cannot enter the USA on a visa.

Good Luck

Timeline

Thank you for your responses :thumbs: , at least you wasn't judging me :unsure: I have one last question for you if you don't mind. Can we get a DNA test from any laboratory, or it has to be where the USEM send us or is it mandatory in any CRBA since he(USC) is not here and can't be here? Another issue is my hubby-to-be can't be here to file these papers since he just started a new job (with USCIS I may say) so I don't know how we're gonna do this :unsure: :unsure:

Every consulate is different... have no idea how Lima does it.... I would imagine they have a pre-selected provider if they need a DNA test but I really don't know

YMMV

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I doubt that they would accept "any" lab. Most likely they deal or "trust" only certain labs...but I am not sure. Call the embassy and ask them directly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.