sheeshkabelle

Hi there! Newbie and have a few questions

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone! I'm new, be gentle! This site is absolutely amazing!! I couldn't have filed for my husband's I-130 with out it. You guys rock!

Hubby came to visit for a week and crossed in to the US no problem. Now he can't get back into Canada!!

I drove to Calgary 6 weeks before, and spent time there. We drove back in my car after a stop in Winnipeg to visit his family on Canada Day. We crossed in Emerson, ND with absolutely no problems. He left on Wednesday to drive back to Canada, stop in Winnipeg and then head back to Calgary on Sunday. He's now stuck at the Emerson/Pembina crossing. They won't let him take our other vehicle, which is jointly owned, registered and insured in the state of Tennessee across the border. CBP wants the title to our SUV and wants hubby to pay import taxes on it, have it inspected and registered in Alberta. WHY?! It's my car too, I don't know what to do! We don't want to import the car to Canada, then have to re-import (if that isn't a word, I just made it up) it to the US when he moves.

He has all the paperwork showing that he has filed for a Visa to immigrate to the US and he is returning to Alberta until it's time to move. CBP doesn't seem to care. Should we talk to someone higher up, or suck it up, fed-ex him the title and pay the fees?

Another GGRRRR We sent a Western Union money order to pay for the filing fees. We told the guy behind the counter at Money Mart in Calgary, four times, it HAS to be in US funds. He prints out the money order, gives us a receipt showing we paid $431.00 CAD for a money order plus the fees. I should have double checked, but I didn't. I mailed the money order.

Today we received and NOA saying our money order was returned, we have to pay a $30 returned check fee, and we have 14 days to pay our filing fee or we have to start all over again.

I'm pretty P1$$ed off! Since Hubby was going to be in Winnipeg today, he said he'd take all the receipts and go to a Money Mart there and try to have things fixed. (and demand the extra $30, might not get it, but doesn't hurt to raise some Hell) but lo-and-behold.. he's freakin' stuck in North Dakota!!

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally would talk to someone higher up. I cross at Emerson/Pembina all the time. I am Canadian and actually lived in Winnipeg. Our car is in my husbands name and I have no problem crossing. It might help for you to call the Emerson border and talk to someone yourself if you haven't all ready tried that.

Just plain weird!

edit to add - you don't have to pay the $30 fee to USCIS just send the proper amount with the package. They will send your whole packet back.

Edited by Brandi n Michael

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Timeline

I do belive a Cdn Resident can NOT drive a USA plated car across into Canada. Yes it probably happens all the time-If you have been on VJ for any amount of time, you soon learn pretty much is up to the POE officer!!

Now if one has their greencard, that s a whole new ball game. But in this case, he doesn't and is still a Cdn resident.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I just wanted to say hi really. You mentioned your car was registered in Tennessee and that's where my hubby and I are going to be moving. Well he's already there, he left last week to "reestablish domicile". We are going to be in the Memphis area.

March 1999 - Met online

July 5th, 2001 - Met in person

December 19, 2003 - Got engaged

September 26, 2004 - Got married in Canada and husband (USC) becomes a PR

July 5, 2007 - Our daughter Samantha is born

April 5th, 2011 - I-130 Submitted to Toronto Consulate

April 29th, 2011 - Interview at Toronto Consulate

June 8th, 2011 - Packet 3 received via email

June 9th, 2011 - Packet 3 returned via Expresspost overnight

June 13th, 2011 - Packet 3 received by Consulate

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 3 Logged

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 4 Dated

June 22nd, 2011 - Packet 4 Logged

September 12, 2011 - Medical in Toronto

September 29, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!

? - Visa Received

? - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If he imports the car to Canada and has to change the plates and insurance guess what? he has to import it back to the USA again when he moves!!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

It took us a year to get our stuff together to file for his Visa, in the mean time I lost my job, started back to college... this all makes me want to cry.

The POE was really nice, and said he'd never come across this issue before. He called his supervisor and she didn't know what to do. So they called yet another person, and it was finally decided he had to import the car to Canada. The reason being is does not have a definite time of returning to the US to immigrate. The POE did tell him that since the car was bought in TN and he will re-register the car there, that import fees would be reimbursed once he moves. That doesn't sound right to me.

He's in Grand Forks at a hotel for the night. He has a friend coming from Winnipeg to get him and take him to his parents house.

We decided to put the car in storage in Grand Forks his parents go to Grand Forks all the time, so they will check on the car when they are there. (only $40 a month) instead of going through the BS of importing the car, him missing work (he has to be back Monday), having the car safety-ed in Alberta, new registration/insurance etc, then turning around and re-importing the car back to the US. It's bad enough that he will now have to fly from Winnipeg to Calgary.

When he is finally able to move I'll fly to Grand Forks, get our damn car back and help him move. We are going to have the import fiasco soon enough anyway when he moves with his motorcycle. The whole reason we bought the car is because it's a Ford Explorer with a tow package so he could tow a trailer with his stuff when he moves. Sooo aggravating!

Stephen&Kim, I live on the other side of the state near Knoxville :) But Welcome to Tennessee!

We have crossed at Emerson/Pembina numerous times, with out any problems. They kind of look at me funny when I tell them I'm married to a Canadian citizen and I'm a full time student with out a job at the moment. But they have always let me in. I have a NEXUS card, so it's pretty easy, it only takes me a few minutes to get through.

As far as the money order thing goes. Money Mart better refund our money!

USCIS- 260 Days

8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
CASE COMPLETE!!

08/14/2012~ SSN Received

Timeline

Sorry to hear of your aggravation. You could always fly to Grand Forks, drive the car over for a visit, then leave it with him and fly back. Just a thought.

Glad you found us, and welcome to VJ. :)

Good point by krikit!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Sorry to hear of your aggravation. You could always fly to Grand Forks, drive the car over for a visit, then leave it with him and fly back. Just a thought.

Glad you found us, and welcome to VJ. :)

We just thought of that today. We figured out how much it's going to cost to import the SUV vs having me fly to Grand Forks and drive it to Calgary and fly home. We will probably do that. The car he has in Canada is slowing giving up.

USCIS- 260 Days

8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
CASE COMPLETE!!

08/14/2012~ SSN Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It took us a year to get our stuff together to file for his Visa, in the mean time I lost my job, started back to college... this all makes me want to cry.

The POE was really nice, and said he'd never come across this issue before. He called his supervisor and she didn't know what to do. So they called yet another person, and it was finally decided he had to import the car to Canada. The reason being is does not have a definite time of returning to the US to immigrate. The POE did tell him that since the car was bought in TN and he will re-register the car there, that import fees would be reimbursed once he moves. That doesn't sound right to me.

He's in Grand Forks at a hotel for the night. He has a friend coming from Winnipeg to get him and take him to his parents house.

We decided to put the car in storage in Grand Forks his parents go to Grand Forks all the time, so they will check on the car when they are there. (only $40 a month) instead of going through the BS of importing the car, him missing work (he has to be back Monday), having the car safety-ed in Alberta, new registration/insurance etc, then turning around and re-importing the car back to the US. It's bad enough that he will now have to fly from Winnipeg to Calgary.

When he is finally able to move I'll fly to Grand Forks, get our damn car back and help him move. We are going to have the import fiasco soon enough anyway when he moves with his motorcycle. The whole reason we bought the car is because it's a Ford Explorer with a tow package so he could tow a trailer with his stuff when he moves. Sooo aggravating!

Stephen&Kim, I live on the other side of the state near Knoxville :) But Welcome to Tennessee!

We have crossed at Emerson/Pembina numerous times, with out any problems. They kind of look at me funny when I tell them I'm married to a Canadian citizen and I'm a full time student with out a job at the moment. But they have always let me in. I have a NEXUS card, so it's pretty easy, it only takes me a few minutes to get through.

As far as the money order thing goes. Money Mart better refund our money!

I have no suggestions for you on this issue, but just wanted to tell you that I am in Knoxville as well, so if you ever want another Canadian to hang with, let me know!!

Timeline

Hi Colleens! I'm in Morristown. It's nice to know someone close by knows what I'm going through!!

Just an update.. The Explorer is in Grand Forks in storage. There it will sit until we come up with a better plan.

FYI if one's money order is returned, it is held at USCIS service center until you pay the invoice ($420.00 + $30.00 returned check fee) once that is paid, the service center will send you back the original money order, and then you fight with Western Union to get your money back.

USCIS- 260 Days

8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
CASE COMPLETE!!

08/14/2012~ SSN Received

Sounds like your husband is a Canadian resident still as he has no status in the US yet. Therefore a Canadian resident CAN NOT drive a US registered vehicle in Canada without properly importing it into Canada.

Glad you found us, and welcome to VJ.

Good point by krikit!!

No you can not do this. It is illegal for him to drive it in Canada and if he was to be stopped by the RCMP the car would be seized.

If the Canadian resident wants to use it in Canada it must be imported, taxes and duty paid and run thru the federal inspection which encludes a fee of $205 to get it done.

Speaking to a "higher up" at the port won't help either. Those are the rules and they will just tell you the same thing.

Timeline

There u go, for our expert CDN POE officer!! And yes some people do get away with it, but what Neiks states is the law! The same line works with Cdn Poe----its all up to the POE officer! Some know/enforce the law more than others. TY Neiks

Timeline

That seems rather silly. I've had my US vehicles in Canada and my relatives have driven them with my permission.

You as a non resident of canada can bring in ur USA plated vehicle with no problem. Its like many others things, you can do it, but is it really legal, and does the officer know the law, and does he enforce it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.