8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Well im wondering what happens after i am Arrived in the U.S.A.

il marry within the 80-90 days of arival , i know that allreaady =)

but im really wondering is , can i start working when i get there ?

or do i need to w8 5 months be4 i can start working ?

can i travel back to Belgium for like a wedding ?

or do i need to stay and go nowhere out of the U.S.A within the 2 years ?

and also , i have a diploma here , is it gonne count also for in the U.S. ?

is there a recuirement for english language for a job in the U.S. ?

well thats about it right now , that im wondering about =\

i hope ppl can help me out =) VJ =D

~~Jorim

x9ztv9cs3.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

but im really wondering is , can i start working when i get there ?

or do i need to w8 5 months be4 i can start working ?

You can apply for a Employment Authorization Document (EAD) after you apply to adjust status (AOS). The EAD allows you to work while AOS is pending. EAD is not issued right away. You need the EAD or a green card before you can work.

can i travel back to Belgium for like a wedding ?

You can also apply for Advanced Parole (AP) that would allow you to travel outside of the US while the AOS is pending. Again, AP is not issued right away.

You need AP or a green card before you can leave the US and reenter.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Most jobs (except special niche jobs) require English comprehension. The diploma may count depending on what your major was and if your university meets certain standards. What those exactly are I am not sure.

If you dont feel comfortable with your English skills, maybe signing up for a class would be beneficial for you while you are waiting the months to be able to start working. Or, be able to buy a book to help you.

I believe Ryan answered your other questions.

Met online - 12/2008

Met in Person 1st Time - 2/2009

Engaged - 12/2009

Filed I-129F - 3/27/11

Received Electronic NOA 1 - 4/7/11

NOA 2 - 6/29/11 (83 days from NOA 1)

RFE 8/15/11 (Needed proof that Fiancee is in Canada legally, Philippine citizen)

Packet 3 - 9/6/11

Packet 4 - Never Received

Interview 12/1/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

You can leave the US anytime. BUT...you cannot re-enter without the AP ( advanced parole). Keep in mind that once you file for your AOS ( including the AP) it will take a few months for the AP to arrival and then a few more months for your AOS interview. You really want to be back here in time for that interview. So if you do leave, check your timing. If you miss your interview, your AP could be cancelled and that is not a good thing.

Timeline

You can leave the US anytime. BUT...you cannot re-enter without the AP ( advanced parole). Keep in mind that once you file for your AOS ( including the AP) it will take a few months for the AP to arrival and then a few more months for your AOS interview. You really want to be back here in time for that interview. So if you do leave, check your timing. If you miss your interview, your AP could be cancelled and that is not a good thing.

for to be safe , its best to stay the 2 years , right ? =)

x9ztv9cs3.png

Filed: Timeline

for to be safe , its best to stay the 2 years , right ? =)

No. Once you get advance parole or the green card, you can leave the US and re-enter the US without having to obtain another visa. There is no need for you to stay in the US for two years.

As a legal permanent resident (LPR), you must make the US your permanent home. You can travel temporarily outside the US at any time.

Your LPR status is a revocable privilege to enter and live in the US. If you spend too much time outside the US or do certain acts, you could lose your status. Google "maintaining legal permanent residency" to learn how to keep your LPR status.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline

No. Once you get advance parole or the green card, you can leave the US and re-enter the US without having to obtain another visa. There is no need for you to stay in the US for two years.

As a legal permanent resident (LPR), you must make the US your permanent home. You can travel temporarily outside the US at any time.

Your LPR status is a revocable privilege to enter and live in the US. If you spend too much time outside the US or do certain acts, you could lose your status. Google "maintaining legal permanent residency" to learn how to keep your LPR status.

yeah thy say like , no longer than 6 months outside the U.S

x9ztv9cs3.png

Filed: Timeline

yeah thy say like , no longer than 6 months outside the U.S

An LPR can remain outside the US for longer than 6 months if he/she obtain a re-entry visa. The time that an LPR is outside the US will not be considered in determining whether an LPR has abandoned his/her status. The LPR must maintain ties to the US to keep his/her status; i.e., bank accounts, file tax returns, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.