uklover

Cell/Mobile phones when you get to the USA?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi

My fiance has a Droid x and says that it is unlocked? Not banded whatever. UK Milestone (using it on AT&T in the US) I dont quite understand. Anyways, I believe that over here Verizon is the only company that supports that phone. I dont have Verizon.

My question is what do the foreign fiance do when they come over? They obviously have to wait for their SSN to get a phone, but they will not have any credit so will need to pay a massive deposit. Or do they simply get added to their US citizen fiance's plan?

I am confused. Need advise.

K1 PROCESS:

11/1/10: NOA1 Received

4/14/11: NOA2 - Approved!!!!

8/18/11: Visa in hand

8/29/11: POE in ATLANTA!!!!

9/16/11: Married!!!

AOS PROCESS:

10/4/11: Social Security Card Arrived!

11/10/11: AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/19/11: NOA1

12/2/11: Biometrics

12/10/11: Case transferred to the California Service Center

03/06/12: EAD approved and card production!

03/14/12: EAD card in hand!

08/04/12: Green card in production!

08/09/12: Green card in hand!

Hi

My fiance has a Droid x and says that it is unlocked? Not banded whatever. UK Milestone (using it on AT&T in the US) I dont quite understand. Anyways, I believe that over here Verizon is the only company that supports that phone. I dont have Verizon.

My question is what do the foreign fiance do when they come over? They obviously have to wait for their SSN to get a phone, but they will not have any credit so will need to pay a massive deposit. Or do they simply get added to their US citizen fiance's plan?

I was just added to my wife's plan, fairly simple.

Dave :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They added me to my husbands plan No ssn, No credit, No deposit.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

We just added a new line to my husband's plan. It's very simple and you wont need anything.

K-1
Jul-27-10: Mailed I-129F
Aug-04-10: NOA1
Jan-04-11: Put Service Request in
Feb-01-11: NOA2 (email notification)
Mar-07-11: Interview at SDO Consulate-APPROVED!-
Mar-12-11: POE at JFK
Apr-01-11: Got Married!! heart.gif
Apr-30-11: Wedding party! biggrin.png

AOS
Apr-18-11: Mailed AOS, EAD and AP
Apr-25-11: Email notification of acceptance
May-02-11: NOA1 and Biometrics App letter for May 16 in the mail
May-06-11: Walk-in for Biometrics
May-12-11: I-485 transfered to CSC
Jun-15-11: EAD and AP card production ordered
Jun-21-11: AOS approved!!

ROC

Jun-08-13: Package Sent

Jun-10-13: NOA1

Jun-18-13: Biometrics Appointment Notice

Jul-12-13: Biometrics Appointment

Aug-22-13: Transfer Notice - Case transfered to CSC

Oct-03-13: Approval Notice!!

Oct-05-13: Card sent in the mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi

Adding another phone to your account will not be a problem.. No worries about SSN or credit... With many plans you can add another phone for $10.00 a month or so...

Depending on which Droid X model your fiance has and which carrier you have that particular phone may or may not work.. You should get the exact model of the phone (in Particular if is it GSM or CDMA - Droid X comes in both versions) and call you carrier and ask them if they support that phone if it is unlocked.

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

All you should need to do to get an UK phone (unlocked) is to drop in an ATT sim card into it.

I-129F Sent : 2011-03-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-03-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-01

NVC Received : 2011-07-08

NVC Left : 2011-07-14

Consulate Received : 2011-07-18

Packet 3 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi

I wanted an iPhone like I had in the UK so my wife ditched her current plan, ported over her number to AT&T and opened an account with them, ordering 2 lines in her name- one for each of us. The original provider she was with did not support iPhone's at the time, hence the swap to AT&T. Nice and simple, we both have phones now and I didn't need to provide anything.

adu7iqzpc.png

My fiance was with Verizon. We went to see about getting a family plan as he had a single line plan. We got all the information and pricing. Then went down the street and saw an Intelos sign. We popped in there and got a great deal...Way better than what Verizon was offering. They even gave credit to our bill for his ETF for cancelling with Verizon. So it pays to shop around. I don't have a SSN yet, they didn't even ask for it.

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

My hubby added me to his plan and got my phone even before I arrived, so it was waiting for me when I came :) You can do the same :) You can also use the joint bill for your AOS interview if you get one :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I went to Wal Mart and bought one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My husband says if it's a UK phone, then it's GSM. The US providers that he can use are AT&T or T-Mobile. A sim card from them can be used in his UK version of Droid. I had Verizon and wasn't willing to change. Adding a line required a higher level plan for me plus the extra charge for the second line, and he didn't think it was worth the money. He said he didn't know that many people here to call. So he bought a T-mobile pay as you go sim card to use in his UK phone. A $100 card got him a year without expiring and 10 cents/minute. We don't use our phone minutes so much now that we live together. He found a new t-mobile smart phone and we, nor could T-mobile identify the owner. So he's been using it without a data plan. It's internet capabilities work on our home wireless or the gazillion public free wi-fi spots, so that suits him okay. And the map/gps built in thing is via satellite requiring no data or minutes. It just depends on how much money you want to put toward phones each month.

And do you know a K1 can get a SSN immediately, but it's suggested to wait 10-14 days before applying. It's on the guide page. we went around the 9th day.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hi

Seems everyone answered quite well but you should know if his phone is unlocked he can and should keep it. It will work on ATT. Just cause a phone ins't released for ATT here doesn't mean you can't use it. Britsh phones have sim slots in it just like ATT phones. My fiance has a unlocked iPhone 4 and he's already used a family plan ATT sim card in it when he's been over here visiting. Also I used a bunch of UK phones here cause I hated the selection ATT had and many were not ever released over here or on ATT. Between us both we have used soooo many different types of phones it's almost a joke hehehe :rofl:

Edited by little_g

7y6qm4.png
.....................................................................................................................................................
ROC Journey
09/23/13 - Sent I-751 Packet

09/27/13 - Received NOA1

10/07/13 - Received Biometrics Letter, appt sched for 10/31

10/09/13 - Received Transfer Notice. Case transferred to CSC Dated 10/08/13

10/31/13 - Attended Biometrics

02/18/14 - Approved!

02/26/14- 10 Year GC received!! exp. 2024!!

.....................................................................................................................................................

AOS Journey
8/13/11 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131 Petitions off together
8/18/11 - Received Email NOA1 for all three petitions
8/24/11 - Received Biometrics Appointment
9/13/11 - Had Biometrics Appointment
10/19/11 - EAD/AP Approval Text/Email / 10/27/11 - EAD/AP Card Received in Mail!
11/18/11 - Interview Text/Email for Dec 21st!
12/21/11 - Interviewed & APPROVED!
12/27/11 - Welcome to USA Letter & GC Received!!

K-1 Visa Journey
1/06/11 - Mailed I-129F to Texas Lockbox
1/07/11 - Packet received and sent on to VT
1/10/11 - NOA1 / 1/14/11 - NOA1 arrived by mail
5/09/11 - NOA2!! (Took 119 Days) / 5/12/11 - NOA2 arrived by mail
5/17/11 - NVC Received
5/18/11 - NVC Sent
5/20/11 - Embassy Received
6/11/11 - Packet 3 Sent
6/14/11 - Packet 3 signed for by someone called "KOKO"
6/15/11 - Medical / 6/20/11 - Medical Logged
6/23/11 - Packet 3 Logged
6/30/11 - Packet 4 Received (with original interview date of 7/25)
7/04/11 - Packet 4 Received (with new interview date of 7/13)
7/13/11 - Interview!! APPROVED!!!
7/15/11 - Visa in Hand
7/29/11 - POE JFK

8/06/11 - Wedding Day!
heart.gif

I actually signed up for Sprint about 6 months after I arrived in the States(as I wanted to boost my credit) I was approved credit and didn't need to put down a deposit. My wife was with Verizon at the time and I got a far better deal from Sprint. I did have my UK mobile phone when I arrived here but It was a pain in my orifice, so I threw it in the sin bin.

beach_1_001.jpg

It'll be interesting to see the look on his face at the sticker shock over the price of a US plan.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

It'll be interesting to see the look on his face at the sticker shock over the price of a US plan.

Tell me about it, I pay $130 per month with Sprint. Cell phone packages are expensive here.

beach_1_001.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.