daisy16

My interview is tomorrow!

21 posts in this topic

The US spouse is not required for the citizenship interview - no reason is required, even if he's at home busy picking his nose on the couch watching cartoons :)

Cheers

Actually, if your N-400 is based on your marriage, there's a possibility that they ask for the spouse. When I had my interview, the IO asked me if my hubby's with me. When I said he's outside at the waiting area, she said "I thought I saw him there." Then there's a case here that I read where she went through the interview and her spouse wasn't there (I think he was in a different state due to work). She was told that a decision cannot be made, then later on, she received a letter asking her to appear at the local office with her spouse.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, if your N-400 is based on your marriage, there's a possibility that they ask for the spouse. When I had my interview, the IO asked me if my hubby's with me. When I said he's outside at the waiting area, she said "I thought I saw him there." Then there's a case here that I read where she went through the interview and her spouse wasn't there (I think he was in a different state due to work). She was told that a decision cannot be made, then later on, she received a letter asking her to appear at the local office with her spouse.

You are very correct but they don't tell you in the interview letter that your spouse is required, there are just a million + 1 reasons why a spouse wouldn't be there - stayed home with the baby, on a business trip. It doesn't make your marriage any more or less valid, I guess was my point. Usually there's something more too it then the spouse isn't waiting outside when a decision can't be made.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline

SO here everyone let spouse waiting outside during interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband came with me and when I asked if he could join me for the interview, the interviewing officer said 'no'. So, he waited in the waiting room. The advantage of having your spouse there is that they 'see' you together. As was mentioned above, since the spouse is not part of the interview process and the paperwork about the marriage qualification has been submitted, unless there is some cause for doubt about the marriage, there should be no need for the spouse to be present other than for moral support. Work, childcare, school - all of these are excellent reasons why a spouse may not be present at an interview where he is not required.

So, how did it go today? :)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The office was so crowded that there's no way to tell if hubby was there without asking. So I'm really glad he stayed away.

It's all done, I'm a citizen!

Other than the waiting, waiting, waiting, it was relatively painless - officer was jovial, chatty. He was confident that I would pass.

I'm posting separately in the Forum about Newark experience, because Oath ceremony is the same day. kicking.gif

Now I have to get my passport expedited!

Wishing everyone still waiting a painless, speedy process!

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The office was so crowded that there's no way to tell if hubby was there without asking. So I'm really glad he stayed away.

It's all done, I'm a citizen!

Other than the waiting, waiting, waiting, it was relatively painless - officer was jovial, chatty. He was confident that I would pass.

I'm posting separately in the Forum about Newark experience, because Oath ceremony is the same day. kicking.gif

Now I have to get my passport expedited!

Wishing everyone still waiting a painless, speedy process!

Sounds like you had good luck in getting a decent IO, now that is pure luck. Waiting? There is always waiting, but you don't dare be a second late. Did they want to meet your spouse?:rofl:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.