Bad_Daddy

Pulitzer-prize winner Vargas says he's an illegal immigrant

90 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110622/us_yblog_thelookout/pulitzer-prize-winning-journalist-comes-out-as-illegal-immigrant

Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas reveals in The New York Times Magazine that he's lived in the United States for nearly 20 years as an illegal immigrant.

Vargas writes that his Filipino mother sent him to live with his grandparents--who were legally living in the Bay Area--when he was only 12 years old. He was placed on a plane with a man who he was told was his uncle--in actuality, a "coyote," ie., a person who helps marshal illegal immigrants across the U.S. border--and has never seen his mother since.

When he was 16, Vargas writes, he applied for a driver's license and discovered that his green card was fake. He spent the next 15 years hiding his secret from friends, classmates, and employers, hoping that some form of immigration reform would pass in the meantime and allow him to live openly in the country.

"This deceit never got easier," he writes. "The more I did it, the more I felt like an impostor, the more guilt I carried — and the more I worried that I would get caught. But I kept doing it. I needed to live and survive on my own, and I decided this was the way."

Now, Vargas is starting a campaign called Define American, where he's spotlighting immigrants' stories.

You can read the whole story here, and watch him talk about his experiences in the video below.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Deport. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

He's a criminal. How did he obtain the SSNs he used? Were any of them someone else's?

He had a fake GC.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

He's a criminal. How did he obtain the SSNs he used? Were any of them someone else's?

How is he a criminal? The article doesn't indicate any criminal acts.

Edited by Sousuke

How is he a criminal? The article doesn't indicate any criminal acts.

He's here in the US illegally.

sigbet.jpg

...ok so?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

1il·le·gal adj \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈlē-gəl\

Definition of ILLEGAL

: not according to or authorized by law : unlawful, illicit; also : not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)

— il·le·gal·i·ty noun

— il·le·gal·ly adverb

See illegal defined for English-language learners »

See illegal defined for kids »

Examples of ILLEGAL

In this state, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to drink alcohol.

The team was penalized for an illegal play.

Origin of ILLEGAL

Middle French or Medieval Latin; Middle French illegal, from Medieval Latin illegalis, from Latin in- + legalis legal

First Known Use: 1538

Related to ILLEGAL

Synonyms: criminal, felonious, illegitimate, illicit, lawless, unlawful, wrongful

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

1il·le·gal adj \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈlē-gəl\

Definition of ILLEGAL

: not according to or authorized by law : unlawful, illicit; also : not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)

— il·le·gal·i·ty noun

— il·le·gal·ly adverb

See illegal defined for English-language learners »

See illegal defined for kids »

Examples of ILLEGAL

In this state, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to drink alcohol.

The team was penalized for an illegal play.

Origin of ILLEGAL

Middle French or Medieval Latin; Middle French illegal, from Medieval Latin illegalis, from Latin in- + legalis legal

First Known Use: 1538

Related to ILLEGAL

Synonyms: criminal, felonious, illegitimate, illicit, lawless, unlawful, wrongful

criminal [ˈkrɪmɪnəl]

n

1. (Law) a person charged with and convicted of crime

2. a person who commits crimes for a living

"being illegal" is not a crime.

criminal [ˈkrɪmɪnəl]

n

1. (Law) a person charged with and convicted of crime

2. a person who commits crimes for a living

"being illegal" is not a crime.

If I didn't know any better, I would say Fish Dude jacked your account.

sigbet.jpg

I'm not sure what you are implying. Please enlighten me.

You would have to read one of Duncan's/fishdudes threads on here to understand that one. Try the FEMA thread ...it's like a new take on Abbot and Costello's "Who's on first".

sigbet.jpg