Done--Really

They changed her name !!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well, I signed on to the NVC payment center to see if by any chance I had a SIF--I didn't--and saw that they changed my wife's name. We had filed everything form the very beginning in her married name, and tonight it showed her maiden name--at least I knew they were working on our case !!

I called of course, and they said that at NVC everything was done in the name on her passport since that is the name they would issue the visa in, and not to worry since the change would not slow things down a bit. But strange.

But now I do wonder what name will show up on her green card--anybody want to take a stab at it ??

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is strange...if they are to follow whatever her name on the passport is, then, I guess they will use that name for the visa as well. Just a wild guess. So, her passport still has her maiden name then?

I mean, green card as well. but, I maybe wrong.

Timeline

Yup--maiden name on each of her passports--Mexico and Costa Rica--and it makes sense that the visa would be in that name, but all the USCIS docs were processed with her married name. I suspect we have an I-90 and its relatively big fee in our future !!

Edited by magical

Timeline

You bet--we will be together at the interview--Costa Rica welcomes the spouse--so we will certainly ask if there is any way to intervene before the green card and SS# are issued.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have read something on the internet just now that when the green car was issued, it has the maiden name and below it was the married name. They filed for I-90. Just FYI. The best bet is for you to ask on her interview. :)

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Yup--maiden name on each of her passports--Mexico and Costa Rica--and it makes sense that the visa would be in that name, but all the USCIS docs were processed with her married name. I suspect we have an I-90 and its relatively big fee in our future !!

Don't quote me on this, but isn't it true that you can change the maiden name to the married name at the POE? I believe that NVC told me that this was possible, as well as the CO at our interview. My wife did not ask about it at the POE though, because no Spanish translator was available at the POE in Atlanta, and she could not understand whoever interviewed her.

I have always had trouble finding something that actually says that this is possible, and was hoping to try it at the POE rather than spend all of the money on an I-90. This link to an earlier thread contains a post that says that the couple did this. It is the third one down (and ironically you posted right beforehand). http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/293709-cr1-spousereceiving-green-card/

This is a problem my wife and I have also run into.

Everything is in her maiden name. We both wanted it to be her married name.

Our problem tarted in Ukraine. Ukraine would not recognize a Jamacian Marriage license to change her name before filing on her passport.

We went through alot to get this done with no luck.

Now as far as her arriving in the US we thought we would try then to have her name changed. We were advised then this could create problems if she every went home to visit family etc.. and returning back to the USA. Now I am not sure for fact if it is true or not and we will be looking further into the matter, but it was explained to us by immigration attorney (we all know how that work out) that she could be denied rentry if names are not matching on passport and greencard. Like I said I waned to confirm this.

At the moment we have been left with belief she may have her maiden name until becoming a US citizen.

I am also curious as to what is true or not in this situation because we would like to have the last name changed but not at the expense of her not being able to leave the country.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

my stab - green card issued in visa name, which is issued in passport name.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Same rules apply here in the Philippines. The name that shows in your passport should be the name that you should use on all the forms, and the name that will appear on the green card. I am just wondering how come they processed the application on her married name where in fact the passport shows maiden name.

I had the name on my passport changed before we filed the I-130 and everything went smoothly.

October 2008 - we first met each other at work (Makati, Philippines)

February 2010 - we finally admitted that we are in love (yay!)

Mar 18-Apr 5, 2010 - hubby went to the Philippines for vacation to celebrate his birthday

March 31, 2010 - engagement day!! yay!!

August 21-29, 2010 - hubby went back again to PH for the wedding prep

October 19-November 2, 2010 - hubby arrived in PH for our wedding :)

October 23, 2010 - WEDDING DAY!!

March 18-28, 2011 - hubby's visit to Philippines for his bday (2nd bday together)

USCIS Stage - 136 days for USCIS journey

December 2, 2010 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

December 6, 2010 - I-130 received!! yay!!

December 13, 2010 - NOA1 text message received!

December 16, 2010 - NOA1 hard copy received in the mail

April 28, 2011 - NOA2!!! Thank you LORD!

NVC Stage - 21 days for NVC journey

May 2, 2011 - NOA2 hard copy received in the mail; NVC received our case

May 6, 2011 - Case number and IIN ; DS3230 sent by beneficiary through email to NVC

May 10, 2011 - AOS bill invoiced and paid

May 13, 2011 - IV bill generated and paid

May 16, 2011 - IV bill shows "PAID" ; AOS and DS230 packets sent to NVC

May 18, 2011 - NVC received both packets

May 19, 2011 - Medical exam - PASSED!!! :)

May 27, 2011 - Sign in Failed and Case Complete!!! Woot!

June 9, 2011 - Interview date assigned

July 14, 2011 - Interview @8:30am - APPROVED!!!!

July 21, 2011 - Visa Received! FINALLY!

July 23, 2011 - POE - Salt Lake City, Utah *home sweet home*

Same rules apply here in the Philippines. The name that shows in your passport should be the name that you should use on all the forms, and the name that will appear on the green card. I am just wondering how come they processed the application on her married name where in fact the passport shows maiden name.

I had the name on my passport changed before we filed the I-130 and everything went smoothly.

This is my problem right now. I hope that it can be easily fix without slowing down my petition. My wife's name is Maria Desamie. I separated it and wrote her name Maria to First Name and Desamie to Middle name. When i received my NOA1 and NOA 1... Her name showing GALANG, MARIA D. She just filed her passport and now showing GALANG, MARIA DESAMIE Barcenas. Barcenas is her Maiden name. I already contacted NVC regarding my problem but they can't help me without my case number. It's already been 18 days and they still no record of it. I don't know if this is going to be a problem in the future. I hope this can be fix without slowing down my petition. We are already ready to submit our DS3032 form so we can pay for AOS and IV fees and move on...

Edited by rhenzhen

05/08/2010: Married
03/18/2011: I-130 Sent
03/21/2011: NOA1 noticed date
05/27/2011: NOA2 noticed date
06/28/2011: NVC finally received our case!
06/30/2011: Case number received!
07/01/2011: Received DS-3032 from NVC
07/04/2011: Wifey e-mailed DS-3032 form to NVC
07/06/2011: Paid AOS bill
07/09/2011: DS-3032 received/processed by NVC
07/11/2011: IV bill received :
07/22/2011: IV bill paid
07/25/2011: AOS/I-864 packet mailed
07/27/2011: AOS/I-864 packet delivered to NVC
08/02/2011: DS-230 packet mailed to NVC
08/03/2011: DS-230 packet delivered to NVC
08/08/2011: Medical Exam Taken
08/09/2011: Medical Results: PASSED! Yehey!

08/10/2011: Case Completed / Sign In Failed

08/12/2011: Interview date assigned : September 19, 8:30am @ USEM... Yay!
09/19/2011: WIFE'S VISA APPROVED!!!
Thank YOU Lord!
09/23/2011: Wife picked up her VISA..
10/24/2011: POE: J.F.K.-NY

ROC

08/26/2013: i-751 mailed

08/28/2013: i-751 received per USPS tracking...

08/29/2013: NOA receipt date

10/04/2013: Biometrics appointment

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you filed a cr-1 visa in your married name, then your permanent resident should show that name, they made a error, call the 1-800 number tell them what happen,they will tell you to file the 1-90, check off ucsis error, send you other card back along with the 1-90 no fee, there error you should receive the new card in about 1 to two months, make copies, with mail conformatiom,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.