khide

US Citizen Parents got the visa for 6 month what are the next steps

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My Parents got US visa last month based on Family immigration process they live in a foreign country and have never visited US. What are the next steps I have to take before they arrive to US and after they arrive to US.

When do I apply for I-485 form?

They only have a 6 month visa, afer the visa is expired do they have to go back or how does the system work? Do I have to submit an extention?

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

An immigrant visa is for moving permanently to the US. A tourist visa is for visiting and then returning home. What type of visa do they hold?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If they are holding an immigration visa, which you seem to indicate, then the visa must be used within 6 months- ie they must come to the USA within that time. Once they are here, the greencard will be sent to the US address they indicated on the forms, so no more visa needed.

When they come over, be sure that they carry the big brown envelope they have been given, and DO NOT OPEN it- they will give it to a border officer at the US airport they arrive at to process their greencard. No I-485 needed; after 5 years, they can apply for citizenship.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

What happens when the visa expires and they have not received the green card? Do they stamp anything on their passport on arrival?

So after they arrive to US, we just have to wait for Greencard? Any idea how long does it take for the greencard to arrive?

If they are holding an immigration visa, which you seem to indicate, then the visa must be used within 6 months- ie they must come to the USA within that time. Once they are here, the greencard will be sent to the US address they indicated on the forms, so no more visa needed.

When they come over, be sure that they carry the big brown envelope they have been given, and DO NOT OPEN it- they will give it to a border officer at the US airport they arrive at to process their greencard. No I-485 needed; after 5 years, they can apply for citizenship.

One more question, until they receive the green card do they have to stay in US?

Try answering the questions people ask if you want to get helpful answers.

What kind of visa is it?

Timeline

They will receive a stamp on their visa at the border which acts as a temporary greencard for a year. The physical greencard will arrive in a few weeks. They do not have to stay in the USA until they have the physical greencard, but they should spend the majority of their time in the USA, or the greencard may be taken away.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi Penguin, I just want to ask you a Question and will appreciate your reply. I applied I-130 for my on March 24,2011 and they got received on March 25th. Got a NOA 1 on April 2, 2011. Now its been almost going to be 3 months no update on my case. What should I do and how long it takes.

Thanks in advance.

Bushra

Timeline

I believe it takes around the same time as a spousal visa, so no need to worry unless it takes longer than 5-6 months, at which time you can start pushing them to get things moving.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

One more question, until they receive the green card do they have to stay in US?

If you filled out Petition for Alien relative which is an immigrant VISA presumably they intend to move here and stay here. If they spend too much time outside the US after they get the green card they will abandon residency and they will take the green card away. If they are not planning on living here permanently then perhaps the VISA you obtained is not the correct one?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

When do I apply for I-485 form?

Never, as IR-5 visa holders never need to file this, after arriving in USA.

Now that they have the visa, they must come to USA within the dates stamped on the visa.

Once they are here, coming through a Port of Entry will trigger a Card Production process for the Green Cards, they will be automagically sent out via postal mail.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.