Manda_Uk

Affidavit I-134 need advice!!!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all,

I just got my NoA2 yesterday - yay! Now were just trying to sort out the forms for the next stage. My question is regarding the I-134 specifically through the Embassy in London. According to this website it doesn't look like you need to file a I-134 but i'm a bit confused. http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

I just want to know if I have sufficient amount in savings do we NEED to file a I-134? My financial situation is a lot stronger than my fiances so it seems a bit silly to me to submit the affidavit when I have enough resources of my own to prove I will not become public charge?

I am aware that the I-134 is mandatory for other countries but I would really appreciate if anyone has any direct experience of this through London - thanks!!!

Hi all,

I just got my NoA2 yesterday - yay! Now were just trying to sort out the forms for the next stage. My question is regarding the I-134 specifically through the Embassy in London. According to this website it doesn't look like you need to file a I-134 but i'm a bit confused. http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

I just want to know if I have sufficient amount in savings do we NEED to file a I-134? My financial situation is a lot stronger than my fiances so it seems a bit silly to me to submit the affidavit when I have enough resources of my own to prove I will not become public charge?

I am aware that the I-134 is mandatory for other countries but I would really appreciate if anyone has any direct experience of this through London - thanks!!!

Congratulations on your NOA2 and happy birthday!

I am behind you in the process so I am sure someone else will come along to help and correct me if I'm wrong...

As far as my research has shown, the London Embassy allows you to 'self sponsor' this portion of your move. They will often use the amounts required for the I-864 (used at AOS stage) as a guideline for your finances. You mention your situation is strong. It has been stated by others in the past that property is not seen as a legitimate asset as the funds can't be accessed easily lately. You need to check you have enough income/assets to carry you through 3 years of 125% of the poverty guidelines and you can prove where it came from and how you can access it. Someone correct me if this is wrong?

My question is regarding the I-134 specifically through the Embassy in London. According to this website it doesn't look like you need to file a I-134 but i'm a bit confused. http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

1. For London you can do the simple I-134

OR (drumroll)

2. You can create a do-it-yourself form and follow these instructions to the letter, making sure you get all the components in.

Sponsors may also elect to furnish a statement in the form of an affidavit sworn to before a notary public or other official competent to administer an oath, setting forth his or her willingness and financial ability to contribute to the applicant's support and reasons, in detail, for sponsoring the applicant.

The affidavit should include:

•information regarding his or her annual income;

•where material, information regarding his or her other resources;

•obligations for the support of members of his is or her own family and other persons, if any;

•other obligations and expenses;

•plans and arrangements made for the applicant's reception and support;

•an expression of willingness to deposit a bond, if necessary, with the USCIS to guarantee that the applicant will not become a public charge in the United States; and

•an acknowledgment that the sponsor is aware of his or her responsibilities under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended, that the affidavit will be binding upon the sponsor for three years after entry of the named persons; and that the affidavit and supporting documentation may be made available to a public assistance agency. (The provisions of the above laws are contained in form DS-1858, Sponsor's Financial Responsibility Under the Social Security Act, and printed in Part III of the instructions for Form I-134).

The sponsor should include in the affidavit a statement concerning his or her status in the U.S. If the sponsor is an American citizen the affidavit should include a statement about how U.S. citizenship was acquired. If naturalized, the affidavit should indicate the date of naturalization, the name and location of the court, and the number of the sponsor's certificate of naturalization. If the sponsor is an alien who has been lawfully admitted into the U.S. for permanent residence, he or she should state in the affidavit the date and place of admission for permanent residence and the alien registration number which appears on his or her Alien Resignation Receipt Card.

To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attached two or more of the following items to the affidavit.

•notarized copies of his or her latest federal income tax return;

•a statement from his or her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment;

•a statement from an officer of a bank regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance;

•any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his or her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time.

I'd pick #1

Or if the Brit has maybe $50k in cash he can prove and outlines how he plans to transfer it to the US, that works too. There's never been an exact cash amount published so I really don't know the amount for self-sponsoring by the Brit.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

We just went through that with our situation. I'm a student, and self employed, so I make much less than the required amount, less than $10k last year, but my British fiance has plenty of cash to make up the difference...which from what we heard was 5x the amount you are short, if this is being covered by cash. Anyways, he just brought a bank statement showing most of his funds, and my tax transcripts (no W2s or anything) ,and there was no problem with it.

Just to add to what my fiancee just said.

I was asked for evidence of finacial support, I gave the the I134 and a bank statement, explaining that her income was a bit short. They asked if the money was mine, and I said yes. And nothing more was said

As for making up the difference in savings, its 3x for assets based in America and 5x for those abroad. So for the UK you'd require about $90k, but London are not picky. As long as you have a reasonably big sum. But it's down to them on the day as there's no published amount.

My advice is always fill in an I134 and if you're short take a bank statement with you

Job Done

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.