Ban Hammer

How's That Hope and Change Working Out for Obama Supporters?

88 posts in this topic

I agree, it was a slogan much like Country First.

Can you imagine if candidates actually discussed the issues? And I don't mean the debates either... or any politician for that matter. Their PR firms would be in serious trouble.

Sadly, if candidates discussed the issues, they'd lose the interest of most potential voters.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's exactly why hope and change was so effective. Obama gave incredible speeches, had a catchy slogan, and some people really bought into the celebrity President idea. There were a lot of people who had no idea where either candidate stood on the issues, but they just really liked Obama.

It wasn't great, it was vague and obscure. The only reason he won was because the Democrats couldn't lose.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Sadly, if candidates discussed the issues, they'd lose the interest of most potential voters.

Lets do a little wishful thinking and that campaign laws required all candidates to ONLY discuss the issues as they campaigned.

Timeline

It wasn't great, it was vague and obscure. The only reason he won was because the Democrats couldn't lose.

Oh that too, although given the alternative, the slogan kind of snowballed on its own among less than properly informed members of the voting public. The slogan was great because not much effort had to be put into it.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh that too, although given the alternative, the slogan kind of snowballed on its own among less than properly informed members of the voting public. The slogan was great because not much effort had to be put into it.

The attention it got was all that was needed to win. The downside is that it didn't match the campaign platform, which if i remember, was about transparent government.

I don't think Obama is a bad leader, just a typical one.

I remember talking to Jessa about the Presidential election in the Philippines and then I asked her what she knew about President Obama. Her answer, "he's for change"

When someone from the other side of the planet, who isn't even paying attention to American politics, knows that about the President, then that's an effective slogan.

Of course, when that's all an American citizen knows about the President, then that's an uninformed electorate.

Timeline

The attention it got was all that was needed to win. The downside is that it didn't match the campaign platform, which if i remember, was about transparent government.

I don't think Obama is a bad leader, just a typical one.

I believe so as well. Listening to him campaign again will be interesting to say the least, as he explains the differences between what he campaigned on and how he has governed.

Timeline

I remember talking to Jessa about the Presidential election in the Philippines and then I asked her what she knew about President Obama. Her answer, "he's for change"

When someone from the other side of the planet, who isn't even paying attention to American politics, knows that about the President, then that's an effective slogan.

Of course, when that's all an American citizen knows about the President, then that's an uninformed electorate.

I paid attention to the issues he was campaigning on, read his website, and listened (without hysterical bias) to his campaign speeches. Its a bit rash to jump to conclude an entire electorate based on campaign slogans alone. But then again, any departure from the previous President should have been a change. As it turns out, not the great change the GOP has been whining about with loss of freedom, choice (ha!), and livelihood.

I paid attention to the issues he was campaigning on, read his website, and listened (without hysterical bias) to his campaign speeches. Its a bit rash to jump to conclude an entire electorate based on campaign slogans alone. But then again, any departure from the previous President should have been a change. As it turns out, not the great change the GOP has been whining about with loss of freedom, choice (ha!), and livelihood.

I actually voted for McCain because I'm sort of a middle of the road kind of guy. I'm just really, really tired of the super partisan politics we have. McCain had such a reputation for being bipartisan, he won me over. I liked Obama, was inspired by his speeches, but he'd never given me any evidence of being able to work with the "other side". And, from the looks of things, it doesn't appear our political climate is any less partisan now than we were before.

Timeline

I actually voted for McCain because I'm sort of a middle of the road kind of guy. I'm just really, really tired of the super partisan politics we have. McCain had such a reputation for being bipartisan, he won me over. I liked Obama, was inspired by his speeches, but he'd never given me any evidence of being able to work with the "other side". And, from the looks of things, it doesn't appear our political climate is any less partisan now than we were before.

No, it really isn't any less partisan. I hoped the GOP would put the interests of the nation before their ideological goals over the last couple of years, respecting the majority aspect of the mandate given to the President. But they didn't and they played more to the goal that Mitch McConnel quite clearly stated not too long ago- to make Obama a one term president.

Ah... politics.

From what I remember McCain's campaign was very partisan, especially when he took Sarah Palin as a running mate.

His record was less partisan than his campaign. Even so, look at the way he got treated by the people in his party that see anything bipartisan as pretty much being a Communist.

Timeline

Their first act as a majority in the House after winning in 2010 was to vote their agenda against Obamacare's 'job-killing' Health law.

They've had plenty of time to draft pro-employment legislation since then...