NinoniAndBoosBoos

Dual Citizenship

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi

So how is everyone dealing with the tax implications of the US taxing our foreign investments i.e. keeping our RRSP here? anyone found a simple solution? Do you have to renounce your Canadian citizenship once you marry? Can you still get a SSN and greencard without becoming a bona-fide US citenzen?

So many questions appreciate any feedback from those VJ'ers who have made the journey.

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

not need to be a citizen of usa to get green card and ssn. But must love poutine. Much.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

form 8891--to report ur RRSP'S--IRS wont tax them--just have to report them. I have been told--can't confirm this, but a few States may tax them, but dont know that for sure.

I don't think many renounce their Cdn citizenship! Its actually more than just renouncing it: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce-how.asp

Having a "greencard" does not make you a USA citizen----your a permanent resident; Which of course you can get a SSN

Canada and the USA have a tax treaty--so 1 should NOT get double taxed!

For the most part its rather simple-----Canada sees you as a Cdn citizen AND a USA citizen! Thus dual citizenship!! BUT the USA sees you ONLY as a USA citizen!

So simply, when you as a k1 marry, NO, you do not have to renounce your Cdn citizenship!! As I say to others--take time and read the guides here on VJ! No 1 cares more about your travels through this process than you. Good luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

not need to be a citizen of usa to get green card and ssn. But must love poutine. Much.

too funny...poutine is good..:)

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yes yes, I agree - Poutine is the shiznit.

Dual Taxation across 2 countries, however, is not.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

You are light years away from being even able to apply for naturalization as a US citizen. Without being a US citizen, you cannot renounce your Canadian citizenship as renouncing your Canadian citizenship before being having another one would prevent you from being deported to your home country as you wouldn't have a home country anymore.

But even if you have another citizenship than you Canadian one, you would be in a very small circle of people if you would renounce your Canadian citizenship. Almost all of them had their entire brain removed when doing that, as there is no logical reason to do that. Even if your annual income is in the 8 figures, meaning you make over $10,000,000 per year, you would still need a certain degree of mental retardation in order to renounce your Canadian citizenship.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

yes yes, I agree - Poutine is the shiznit.

Dual Taxation across 2 countries, however, is not.

And now this: http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/ArticleNews/story/GAM/20110614/RBTAXAMERICANSMCKENNAATL/ money grabs all around..sickening

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As Flames said, most people don't need to renounce their Canadian citizenship. Those that do are based on high end security clearances for certain government jobs, where you cannot be any other citizen but and American. Of course most of us will never be in a position to have a job like that so for most purposes, it's something that isn't done too often. Even if you have no ties or cares to Canada and never plan on living there or even visiting there again, there's still no reason. You don't have to renew your passport, you don't have to file taxes there, you don't have to do voluntary military service etc. So there's not reason other then the job issue that one would ever actually need to renounce it.

With taxes and the article, I'm wondering if I can make more money hiding my Canadian money in a shoebox under my bed? Figure if you get taxed on that stuff now, I'd actually save more hiding it in some smelly shoes...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

As Flames said, most people don't need to renounce their Canadian citizenship. Those that do are based on high end security clearances for certain government jobs, where you cannot be any other citizen but and American. Of course most of us will never be in a position to have a job like that so for most purposes, it's something that isn't done too often. Even if you have no ties or cares to Canada and never plan on living there or even visiting there again, there's still no reason. You don't have to renew your passport, you don't have to file taxes there, you don't have to do voluntary military service etc. So there's not reason other then the job issue that one would ever actually need to renounce it.

With taxes and the article, I'm wondering if I can make more money hiding my Canadian money in a shoebox under my bed? Figure if you get taxed on that stuff now, I'd actually save more hiding it in some smelly shoes...

the smelly-shoes hounds would come a runnin' too....tough one...I am in the middle of working out my RRSP situation: i looks more favourable keeping it here, but that would require two income tax forms one for CRA and one for IRS...gets a lot more complicated with tax implications as RRSP's are deemed as foreign investments in the US, and the US is the only country that taxes as such...very confusing indeed. I suggest if you opt for the stinky shoe approach create a diverson!!!! you know keep the dogs of the trail with a stinky shoes full of fido treats....cheers

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

As Flames said, most people don't need to renounce their Canadian citizenship. Those that do are based on high end security clearances for certain government jobs, where you cannot be any other citizen but and American.

Good point,

yet if the Governator of California could do his job as an Austrian citizen, or, more to this point, Canadian Stéphane Dion could govern as a French national, one would have to apply directly as a CIA assassin to work in Canada in order to get into this situation. By the way, Canada's former prime minister John Turner, who was born in England, was also a dual citizen during his time in office as the highest official of Canada.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I dont believe you have to file Cdn taxes every year just because you have RRSP's! When u leave you call up the company that is looking after them, you tell then ur a non-resident of Canada, they send you a form to fill out and sign and that's it--for the Cdn side of things!! But each year for the IRS, you fill out form 8891, which is a very basic form to fill out. I stupidly cashed out my RRSP's and put it into a Roth IRA, oh well,lol Back when the Cdn $$$$ was low!! Wife was ticked at me,lol But I was bored, oh well.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can leave your RSP untouched in Canada and no need to file Canadian taxes There are restrictions on what you can do with any funds in the account as a non-resident but no tax implications if they remain in the plan. On the US side, as Flames posted, you need to report them annually via form 8891 but again not taxed if all funds remain in the plan.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Just Bob, interestesting, than again Canada has lost a lot of backbone, so seems anyone can run for office here in Canada.

If you are a Canadian (boo hoo Vancouver Canucks) with RRSP's who takes up residence of the state of California and you have elected to take the deferral of the RRSP income at the Federal level, you will pay state tax annually on the RRSP "phantom" income - Still getting a lot of advice on this, but it is looking more and more favourable to keep it here, than collapse the RRSP, I am sure it might not be too easy to find a trust-worthy fianancial advisor once I am there, at least find one who even knows what an RRSP is.

Flames, thanks I will contact my investor and ask about this form to avoid having to file taxes with CRA while I still hold my RRSP's.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I chose to cash out my RRSPs before I moved to the US. I paid the taxes on them (since I was moving part way through the year and had no US income for the rest of the year, my world income for the whole year was from Canada so I could claim a full year's deduction on half a year's wages plus my RRSPs). I decided to do this as when I had investigated knowing I would be moving to the US, I realized I needed to file a federal and a state return for the RRSPs and the phantom income would be taxed even though I had not yet received it by the state of Georgia. It didn't count as deferred income in the US so I decided to cash it out in Canada, and like Flames, invest it in an IRA here in the US. I do still have a Canadian bank account open but there is less than $1000 in it and basically the maintenance fee eats up the pennies in interest that it earns each year so it will be interesting to see how the IRS treats that.

As a dual citizen I know I will have to file a return with the IRS for the rest of my life regardless of where I live, however the US has tax treaty agreements with Canada and many other countries which should negate paying taxes to more than one country on the same income. It is a nuisance doing the paperwork, but that should be the only real hassle.

You definitely don't want to or need to denounce your Canadian citizenship when you become a US citizen. The US does not officially recognize dual citizenship but since they have no control over another country's right to grant citizenship and therefore can't take it away, they just 'don't recognize it'. To the US you are only a US citizen. Canada, however, does recognize dual - and triple, etc, - citizenships so recognizes you as both a Canadian and an American, The benefits outweigh the liabilities.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.