7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am currently in Mexico on a tourist visa. I had originally thought that i would need to go back to the states to start filing for my husband to g et permanent residency, but now I am thinking about DCF. I can get an FM3 here, and start applying for my husbands greencard right away? or do i have to hold residency here for a certain ammount of time before starting to apply for my husband? Doesnt it seem weird that they would approve our petition for him while I am living in Mexico? Wouldnt they ask why we cant just live in Mexico then? I am wondering why more people dont do DCF, if it takes less time and means that we dont have to be separated. Are there drawbacks to DCF that I am missing?

Married in 2010

2/4-Mailed I-130

2/9- NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to be a legal resident (not a tourist) for 6 months before you can petition via DCF

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Yeah, DCF is the way to go if you're legally residing in the country of your spouse. But, like the above poster said, you gotta be there for a period of at least 6 months on a visa other than student or tourist. Sorry this won't work out for you.

Met in France: 10/26/2008

Engaged in the States: 12/11/2009

Married in France: 12/06/2010

Filed I-130 in Paris (DCF): 3-18-2011

Received Packet 3 : 03-23-2011

Received Packet 4: (Can't remember date)

Interview: 06-16-2011 **APPROVED**

Religious Marriage : 6-25-2011

POE Dulles: 7-20-2011

Here in Mexico they are flexible. Especially if filing the petition in Person in DF or Monterrey. If you have a valid FM-3 and can show them a few months worth of bills/ banks statements in your name here, or a lease held in your name with your husband that should do it.

Join us in the DCF mexico forum (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/242117-dcf-mexico/) to read all about other peoples experiences. A few of them just went and got their FM-3s to start the process.

Timeline

Thank you for the replies! Yeah I was not sure because Mexico never seems to really go by the books right? They say you are supposed to wait 6 months after getting residency to start petitioning for your spouse, but I read someones experience about not having to wait the 6 months. Cool, I will join the Mexico DCF forum, thank you!

Married in 2010

2/4-Mailed I-130

2/9- NOA1

Thank you for the replies! Yeah I was not sure because Mexico never seems to really go by the books right? They say you are supposed to wait 6 months after getting residency to start petitioning for your spouse, but I read someones experience about not having to wait the 6 months. Cool, I will join the Mexico DCF forum, thank you!

My wife's FM-3 expired around the time we filed. They never asked any questions, or asked to see it renewed. They mostly wanted to see bank statements or bills for the months leading up to filing.

To your question about the downsides of DCF. Having to go to Juarez comes to mind, but with any immigrant visa you'll have to. I really can't come up with a downside. We got ours done in 97 days, could've been a little quicker too. Good luck to you!

Timeline

Yes we are not looking forward to a trip to Juarez, but it must be done either way like you said. That is interesting that they didnt care her FM3 was expired. Thank you for the information, it is better coming from someone who went through the process in Mexico first hand.

Married in 2010

2/4-Mailed I-130

2/9- NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.