kev_n_jena

Canned Meats Prohibited

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Just a note for anyone entering the USA & Canada. We just got home from a 3 week trip to the Philippines. My wife wanted to bring in some canned corned beef and meat loaf. When we got our declaration form I decided to play it safe to avoid a fine and I checked the box that referred to meat products. I actually thought they meant fresh meat, not cooked meat in a can, but again, I was playing it safe. When we arrived in Canada we were asked to show our luggage to the agriculture inspector. He informed us that canned meat was not allowed to enter Canada or the USA and it would have to be destroyed. (my wife wasn't happy)

I know people bring it in all the time but it's not legal.

Kev & Jena

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

what do we do with the people who deserve to be "canned"......

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

Just a note for anyone entering the USA & Canada. We just got home from a 3 week trip to the Philippines. My wife wanted to bring in some canned corned beef and meat loaf. When we got our declaration form I decided to play it safe to avoid a fine and I checked the box that referred to meat products. I actually thought they meant fresh meat, not cooked meat in a can, but again, I was playing it safe. When we arrived in Canada we were asked to show our luggage to the agriculture inspector. He informed us that canned meat was not allowed to enter Canada or the USA and it would have to be destroyed. (my wife wasn't happy)

I know people bring it in all the time but it's not legal.

Kev & Jena

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

thanks for sharing the experience...I'll keep this in mind...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

when I was in the Phils i cracked up when I saw a TV commercial for canned meatloaf, lol! I'm sorry I just thought it was funny. My fiance says loves it, but I think she'll like the real thing better. Oh man, another trippy thing, here we got tuna in water and tuna in oil, in the Phils they got tuna packed with good Lord all KINDS of stuff!! The grocery store was a fun place for me, I loved seeing the different stuff they had. And also, shelves of vodka right next to the soft drinks, pretty wild, lol.

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2011-03-31

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-04-05

I-129F RFE(s) : none!!!

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-08-08

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2011-08-16

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2011-09-13

They sell corned beef in the usa in a can, it taste the same

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

funny thing is, you can buy some of the same exact canned meats in a good asian store.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

funny thing is, you can buy some of the same exact canned meats in a good asian store.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can buy beef imported from Phils here in the states. There are very strict laws on the importation of beef here and only certain countries that have testing programs are allowed to import it.

Even after living here for 4 years, my wife (and her coworkers) were very sad that the meat didn't make it into the country. They say the canned beef available here just isn't the same.

Kevin

Kev n Jena

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Most Asian stores stock many of the popular Philippines brands, I guess importers have some sort of screening process that makes it OK.

Just be sure and check the expiration dates, as I have found some out-of-date products on the shelf.

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can buy beef imported from Phils here in the states. There are very strict laws on the importation of beef here and only certain countries that have testing programs are allowed to import it.

Even after living here for 4 years, my wife (and her coworkers) were very sad that the meat didn't make it into the country. They say the canned beef available here just isn't the same.

Kevin

I agree. I have been longing to eat the real Purefoods Corned Beef. The Asian Store only has the knock off, Martin's Purefoods. No corned beef from the Philippines anywhere but New Zealand corned beef is fine with me.

Edited by EthanJM

01-24-2011 - Sent I-130 for Parents (USPS Priority)
02-02-2011 - Notice of Action 1
05-11-2011 - Notice of Action 2 - Approved! (104 Days)
----------
05-24-2011 - Case numbers assigned
05-26-2011 - Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill (Email)
05-26-2011 - Paid I-854 bill
05-31-2011 - AOS Fee showed as PAID
05-31-2011 - DS-3032 received per NVC email
06-01-2011 - IV bill generated
06-03-2011 - I-864 Sent and delivered, June 06, 2011
06-07-2011 - Paid IV bill
06-07-2011 - Medical at St. Lukes - PASSED
06-08-2011 - IV bill marked as PAID
06-09-2011 - DS-230 sent and delivered, June 13, 2011
06-21-2011 - Received I-864 Checklist
06-27-2011 - NVC received DS-230
06-28-2011 - Mailed DS-230 and I-864 checklists
07-12-2011 - Re-scheduled interview appointment to Aug 16, 2011
07-13-2011 - Sign In Failed for Dad's Case
07-26-2011 - Sign In Failed for Mom's case
08-03-2011 - Case forwarded to USEM
08-08-2011 - Cases received by USEM
08-16-2011 - Interview schedule. APPROVED!
08-19-2011 - VISA on hand
08-23-2011 - POE - LAX (Yes, they finally made it to the US!)
09-05-2011 - Baby Due. It's good to have Lolo and Lola when this special day happens.
preg.png

event.png

------------------------

Citizenship of Parents:

07/22/2016 - Sent N-400 to Phoenix, AZ by USPS Priority
delivered
check cashed
07/30/2016 - NOA
Touched
Biometrics
Interview letter received
Interview -*APPROVED*
Oath date -** US CITIZEN **
Applied for passport
Passport Received!

I agree. I have been longing to eat the real Purefoods Corned Beef. The Asian Store only has the knock off, Martin's Purefoods. No corned beef from the Philippines anywhere but New Zealand corned beef is fine with me.

Yes, the only corned beef available in the 5 asian stores in our city (including a filipino owned store) is from Brazil and New Zealand.

Kevin

Kev n Jena

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.