Chuck & Chay

What Particular Field Can I Get A Job So Easily?

37 posts in this topic

There's also agency nursing, prison nursing, working in long-term care/rehab/nursing homes, mental health nursing. I've shifted my job search focus to these areas -- the hospital jobs in my area for new grads have dried up. The only problem is that once you get into these areas of nursing, it can be difficult to shift into a hospital setting. Pay isn't as good, either, unless you go into prison nursing but that has its own hazards.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also agency nursing, prison nursing, working in long-term care/rehab/nursing homes, mental health nursing. I've shifted my job search focus to these areas -- the hospital jobs in my area for new grads have dried up.

Move to a different city, I think once you get about 1 year in working in a hospital you can pretty much write your own ticket

My wife had never worked before and had her BSN and RN by age of 20 and she was hired by a large county hospital in D/FW metroplex after working there 1 years she gave her resignation letter and she has since them found 2 jobs in Hospitals closer to our new home.

Good luck in your search........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Agency nursing for new grads is a tough go----one is more expected to know their stuff and hit the ground running, as 1 gets very little to almost none orientation. Good way to loose one license! As you will learn, ur employer wont care, as ur just another #.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

working in long-term care/rehab/nursing homes, I've shifted my job search focus to these areas -- .

I don't think they hire RN's in that area, They either want CNA's or Caregivers.

They have some type of Bull$hit nursing licenses in USA called a LVN, I think you only need 1 year school to pass the test and become one, they may want LVN in this area

I think you would be screwing yourself by working one of these areas..............

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Agency nursing for new grads is a tough go----one is more expected to know their stuff and hit the ground running, as 1 gets very little to almost none orientation. Good way to loose one license! As you will learn, ur employer wont care, as ur just another #.

Actually, many of the agencies in my area offer new grad internships that are similar to what you'd find on a med-surg unit. It's still not hospital nursing -- but agencies that staff skilled nursing facilities and private duty care.

tallcoolone - medicaid units, hospice facilities, and skilled nursing facilities have to hire RNs. You're right, the majority of workers in your average nursing home are going to be CNAs or CMAs. But you'd be surprised at percentage of RN openings.

I can't move. My husband has a very good job here and we just bought a house. I don't, technically, have to work because we could live on his salary alone but I've discovered that being a SAHW is not my cup of tea at all. ;) Thanks!

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hannah - you could take the plunge, open a home health care agency yerself, in yer area - be a small business owner.

You might already qualify to open such a company, check in with yer state licensing agency.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Actually, many of the agencies in my area offer new grad internships that are similar to what you'd find on a med-surg unit. It's still not hospital nursing -- but agencies that staff skilled nursing facilities and private duty care.

tallcoolone - medicaid units, hospice facilities, and skilled nursing facilities have to hire RNs. You're right, the majority of workers in your average nursing home are going to be CNAs or CMAs. But you'd be surprised at percentage of RN openings.

I can't move. My husband has a very good job here and we just bought a house. I don't, technically, have to work because we could live on his salary alone but I've discovered that being a SAHW is not my cup of tea at all. ;) Thanks!

Good Luck, My wife being a nurse has been a godsend for us.

If I was younger I would go back to school and become a nurse, From what I have seen it's a pretty good gig to have........

Edited by tallcoolone

Timeline

Good Luck, My wife being a nurse has been a godsend for us.

If I was younger I would go back to school and become a nurse, From what I have seen it's a pretty good gig to have........

Its not that good of a gig,lol I quite working back at the end of April and don't miss it at all.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thats good if they offer you a good orientation. If $$$$ isn't ur worry, then find a job anywhere but a hospital, prob a lot less stressful, and possibly more rewarding, not saying hospital nursing isn't rewarding, but I know the facility I worked at, management didnt care that we were short!! Only thin that kept one sane was the other staff.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Chay - what you choose ?

Hi Darnell...hmmm..for now i am going to focus on my Care Giving course and see were it goes..if ever i still have time i will just proceed to taking Practical Nursing..i think that's a good choice just upon reading the responses of this thread..

Edited by Chuck & Chay

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

just some FYI -

I had a booth at a job fair last week (I was looking for software developers)

and

had a chance to talk to the recruiter from the local city jail -

they pay 13 bucks/hour to start, some annual salary of 32K for 0 /ZERO years of experience, plus standard 'city employee benefits'

There's no formal training program, you go to work right away and mostly it's on-the-job training

and they do hire women for the women's portion of the jail.

I thought that to be amazing, for a job with no previous background in anything..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Its not that good of a gig,lol I quite working back at the end of April and don't miss it at all.

I don't blame you.

My cousin might make $1000 a week (guessing) with benefits but she works nightshifts with a half hour commute each way and the shifts are half a day long (12 hours)! They are understaffed.

She has terrible sleeping patterns. But if you are looking to work like mad for the money then it is for you.

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

I don't blame you.

My cousin might make $1000 a week (guessing) with benefits but she works nightshifts with a half hour commute each way and the shifts are half a day long (12 hours)! They are understaffed.

She has terrible sleeping patterns. But if you are looking to work like mad for the money then it is for you.

We were always short staffed! management didnt seem to care!! Feel bad for those that are still working there!! And this is a "Magnet" hospital!!

Lot of respect for LPN's, just watch out as some places no longer hire LPN's!!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't blame you.

That would be some crazy job schedule..i can't imagine myself working that long and in night shifts..so hilarious..

Timeline

That would be some crazy job schedule..i can't imagine myself working that long and in night shifts..so hilarious..

Many Hospitals work 12 hour shifts. Yes some only do 8. But one doesn't have to work in the hospital! Many options out there.

WOrking nights does play havoc with ur body, studies have shown that people that work night shift have a lower life expectancy then their day counterparts!! But working nights has its advantages--more $$$, less ####### to deal with, ie pts families and doctors,lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.