Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Settled in USA but want to move to husbands country

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom

I am American and brought my English husband over to the USA on a fiance visa. We are unhappy here and would like to move to his home country the United Kingdom. Since he came over on a fiance visa and now has his Green Card how would we go about doing that? In December we need to file to release the conditions. Any info would be great.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt

I think he can't live in another country for more than 6 months at a time or he might lose his residence, but once he gets his citizenship you guys can move and come back like you want.

It really depends on where you wanna live for the rest of your life I suppose.

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England

My husband and I were just looking into this. I don't know much about UK visas but I do know if you wait until your 2 year wedding anniversary it will make things a little easier, just like the US. My husband and I decided if we move we'll wait until my husband becomes a US citizen. We can't see spending all the money we did, on the K-1 and green cards (AOS&ROC), to just pick up and leave. As far as I know, with the green card, you can't leave for more than 6 months without a re-entry permit, and if you do leave for more than 6 months and return, your 3 year residency starts all over, so you have to live in the US for another 3 years before being eligible to apply for citizenship.

One down side to becoming a citizen is you have to file taxes every year, even if you're not living in the US.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're unsure about where your long-term future lies, and think it possible that you will want to return to the US, then you may decide to wait till he can obtain US citizenship before moving. However, if you're pretty sure about your decision to move to the UK, then you can go straight ahead and look into that. Someone should be able to tell you the good websites for finding out about that :-) If ever you do decide to move back to the US you will have to go through the visa process again, which will obviously cost you some money, but otherwise it would be pretty straightforward, plus you'd be living together in the UK the whole time, so not too much of a big deal.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...