Captain Ewok

Immigration Guides for Foreign Relatives

87 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i brought my fianee over on a k-1 and we are now married.....we want to bring her child here now..on a k-2..she was never married to the father.

do we need to get permission from the father? even if they were never married?

Wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction. I sent in 2 I-130 to sponsor my two siblings in 2003 and so far i havnt heard anything from NVC. On the USCIS website, the filing center (TX) listed a date of 2005. Is there a number where i can call and talk to a live operator?

Thanks in advance.

USCIS Journey

05/29/2009 - Marriage

09/25/2009 - I-130 Sent

10/02/2009 - NOA1

02/02/2010 - NOA2: I-130 approved in 136 days

NVC Journey

02/08/2010 - NVC Case# assigned, give NVC our emails.

02/16/2010 - DS-3032 emailed

02/23/2010 - AOS Cover Sheet printed

02/24/2010 - AOS package sent via USPS Priority Mail & DS-3032 email accepted

02/25/2010 - IV Cover Sheet printed & IV package FedEx Priority Overnight

03/01/2010 - IV & AOS package delivered

03/12/2010 - Case Completed in 33 days

US Consulate Journey - Phnom Penh, Cambodia

03/30/2010 - Medical Exam

05/04/2010 - Interview @ 7:00 AM & Visa Approved

05/16/2010 - POE (ATL @12PM)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had just received a notice about visajourney a few weeks ago and had completely forgotten about it, but after thinking about it, I decided that I would just make a few comments to all of you out there who are anxiously waiting to bring your spouse over and to finally get a life going for yourselves. First of all, let me say that I did get Arlyn over relatively quickly. All toll, it took 15 months from the time that the I-130 was processed to the time that NVC took over the application and finally processed it. What I would tell all couples who are in this situation is to simply "Be patient!" To make it go quicker, I would build into your wait time (if you are a professional working stiff) an intermediate trip back to the (in this case) Philippines (or whatever nation). This got us through and gave us some breathing time and (how shall I say) "love time" to get through the ordeal. In retrospect, 15 months is not a lot of time, but at the time, it seemed like forever. Almost every week, Arlyn complained about the time that it was taking. Filipinas have a very hard time looking to the future and seeing anything that is more that 36 hours away, forget about even 36 months.

Second, on every application that you complete, whether it be the I-130, the I-864, the visa application, etc., make certain that you carefully fill out all the applications. YOU DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY! And I know that I am committing a sacrilege, since I am an attorney myself (not an immigration attorney), but it is true. So, many couples waste money by seeking out someone who probably can do no better than they themselves and it results in their paying out a tremendous amount of money. Unless you really have a compelling case where you simply feel overwhelmed with the task or something in your personal situation could become an issue, you don't need to contact an attorney.

Third, please understand the severity of the situation and that this is your life and your spouse's. I made the decision to go to Manila to be with my wife 15 months later, because I felt that my wife would be abused by the U.S. Consulate. Once I showed up, they were normal and behaved very professionally towards me and my spouse. They will do a thorough background and police check on you and your spouse. Also, realize that your every word at the interview is being recorded, and thus, hopefully will never come back to haunt you in the future. I think that if I had not shown up that my wife would have been denied the IV visa and would have either had to come back with more information later, or might have even been told to start over. The U.S. Consulate may act nicely to you, but they can be a very vicious lot and don't let anyone else tell you, otherwise. "Dirty Rotten Outrageous (not Glorious) Bastards" they are.

The other thing is starting planning for your future, even while you are waiting to get her (or him) over. Plan for school and education and training. This is a fabulous journey for our spouses and it is something that they should behold and relish. My wife is already planning her career in the health profession as a nurse at our local community college where she is enrolled in an RN program. However, there may be a one-semester break as she is pregnant and we are expecting our first child together in September.

It is an exciting time! Take all this in perspective. You won't even think about this later on after it is all over. Good luck to all of you. I don't plan to be involved in VisaJourney anymore after this blog. You realize that this is a monumentous time in terms of global migration and that you are a part of it. We wish all of you the best and hope that all of your dreams are realized in the years to come.

Mike and Arlyn

Does anyone know if VJ has an example letter for:

1. notorized statement of approval from the biological parent consenting to their child being taken to the US to live with the other biological parent on a K-3 Visa.

2. notorized statement of approval from one biological parent giving permission to the minor to leave the country with only one parent.

I had just received a notice about visajourney a few weeks ago and had completely forgotten about it, but after thinking about it, I decided that I would just make a few comments to all of you out there who are anxiously waiting to bring your spouse over and to finally get a life going for yourselves. First of all, let me say that I did get Arlyn over relatively quickly. All toll, it took 15 months from the time that the I-130 was processed to the time that NVC took over the application and finally processed it. What I would tell all couples who are in this situation is to simply "Be patient!" To make it go quicker, I would build into your wait time (if you are a professional working stiff) an intermediate trip back to the (in this case) Philippines (or whatever nation). This got us through and gave us some breathing time and (how shall I say) "love time" to get through the ordeal. In retrospect, 15 months is not a lot of time, but at the time, it seemed like forever. Almost every week, Arlyn complained about the time that it was taking. Filipinas have a very hard time looking to the future and seeing anything that is more that 36 hours away, forget about even 36 months.

Second, on every application that you complete, whether it be the I-130, the I-864, the visa application, etc., make certain that you carefully fill out all the applications. YOU DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY! And I know that I am committing a sacrilege, since I am an attorney myself (not an immigration attorney), but it is true. So, many couples waste money by seeking out someone who probably can do no better than they themselves and it results in their paying out a tremendous amount of money. Unless you really have a compelling case where you simply feel overwhelmed with the task or something in your personal situation could become an issue, you don't need to contact an attorney.

Third, please understand the severity of the situation and that this is your life and your spouse's. I made the decision to go to Manila to be with my wife 15 months later, because I felt that my wife would be abused by the U.S. Consulate. Once I showed up, they were normal and behaved very professionally towards me and my spouse. They will do a thorough background and police check on you and your spouse. Also, realize that your every word at the interview is being recorded, and thus, hopefully will never come back to haunt you in the future. I think that if I had not shown up that my wife would have been denied the IV visa and would have either had to come back with more information later, or might have even been told to start over. The U.S. Consulate may act nicely to you, but they can be a very vicious lot and don't let anyone else tell you, otherwise. "Dirty Rotten Outrageous (not Glorious) Bastards" they are.

The other thing is starting planning for your future, even while you are waiting to get her (or him) over. Plan for school and education and training. This is a fabulous journey for our spouses and it is something that they should behold and relish. My wife is already planning her career in the health profession as a nurse at our local community college where she is enrolled in an RN program. However, there may be a one-semester break as she is pregnant and we are expecting our first child together in September.

It is an exciting time! Take all this in perspective. You won't even think about this later on after it is all over. Good luck to all of you. I don't plan to be involved in VisaJourney anymore after this blog. You realize that this is a monumentous time in terms of global migration and that you are a part of it. We wish all of you the best and hope that all of your dreams are realized in the years to come.

Mike and Arlyn

Thank you for your warm words of encouragement and helpful suggestions. I will be filing my I-130 within the next few days to bring my spouse from Nicaragua and your post helped me cope with this anxious time.

i brought my fianee over on a k-1 and we are now married.....we want to bring her child here now..on a k-2..she was never married to the father.

do we need to get permission from the father? even if they were never married?

Yes I am wondering about similar information regarding bringing step-children. My step-child has both parents on the birth certificate although they were never married. The child does not live with the mother in Nicaragua but with other family of the mothers. I was told on VJ that they would need a notorized letter from the other parent granting permission. Also a letter allowing the child to leave the country at the airport with only one of the parents. I had posted a question whether VJ had a sample letter for this but hadn't heard a response yet. Hope that helps.

Filed: Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Hello, first I want to say thanks to the ppl in this site, so far, I'm feeling a warm desire to help ppl like me, that are in need of enlightenment, My father that is a USC filled a I-130 for me, my wife (at the time) and my son, but now I'm in the middle of a divorce, I want to know if this change my petition, If when I finish my divorce, will I become a F1 case, and what about my son, will he be part of the petition, what should my father do when I get divorced.

Too many questions, hope you have the answers.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

<!--quoteo(post=3396532:date=Oct 13 2009, 12:07 AM:name=emit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (emit @ Oct 13 2009, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3396532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi Ewok,

I think you can help me with this one. I got my visa through K1 and have now my conditional status. I have a daughter left in the PI. She's 16. She was not included in my I129 petition but I put her name with my adjustment of status. I would like to know what form will I use to petition her? Can my husband petition her instead of me to make it faster? If I will petition her, when was the best possible time? I will really appreciate your answer with this. Thanks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your husband can file a I-130 for your daughter as long as the step-parent relationship begain before the childs 18th birthday.. it will be much quicker for him to file than for you..

I. Have the same problem how do you know if the I- 130 is the way to go and how long will it take my wife son is 10 years old in philippines

• 4 weeks later...

Good day!

I need guidance, please assist me.

I divorced my Filipino husband and recently married a US citizen.

My US husband wants to petition my children in the Philippines.

- what forms do we need to accomplish? is it I-130

- Do I need to get a custody of my children? My ex-husband (my children biological father) abandoned my children for 3 years now and nobody knows his whereabouts. My children is staying with my parents in the Philippines. Can my children travel to US with my parent? What are the documents I need to secure?

Thank you,

Confused mom

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

A bit of info that might help future applicants to bring children of USC's to the USA.

My wife is the USC, we married when my biological daughter was 16. We've been married just over two years ... happily at that. My wife is currently petitioning for a green card for said daughter.

So our dauughter had her interview in London today. The interview went well BUT ...

She has to send in a copy of my Green card along with her passport and the passport photos (they didn't take either of those items off her).

So, I am the biological father - on the submitted birth certificate - and like I said it's my USC wife that is petitioning ing our daughter to come live with us. Yet they said they want to see my GC to prove that I'm "not an illegal alien" ... even though they are the ones who issued my K1 all those years ago. You'd think a little inter department cross checking would be in order ... but that's not for now ...

The interview was straightforward. No additional info sought, I provided photos but none asked for. They just gave her a phone number to call when she got a copy of my GC in order for the courier to pick it the copy and her passport and photos up from her.

So, thankfully it went well ... I would have preferred it was over as my daughter is a little scatter-brained at times but how and ever ...

Just in case others run across the same problem, this might be a new requirement, in London at least. But for the sake of photocopying your Greencard, I'd send it with the information packet or send it along for relatives to bring it to interviews if I were you.

Onwards and upwards ...

R.

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I'm a US citizen, applying for my mother who lives in China via the I-130 form. Seems like everyone here is pretty knowledgeable, so hoping you guys can help me with some questions.

1. For the birth certificate requirement, does anyone know if a notarized statement of relationship between my mother and I will suffice if we cannot obtain the original birth certificate?

2. The I-130 form asks for my naturalization number on question 13. However, I sent in my naturalization certificate with my passport application and never got the certificate back, so I don't know the certificate number right now. I've read other forums that said putting in N/A for that question is fine as long as I provide a copy of my passport, can anyone confirm this?

3. Do I need to provide a birth certificate for my mother as well?

4. Does anyone know what is the minimum # of months out of a year one must remain in the U.S. to maintain permanent residence? In other words, if my mother wants to travel between China and U.S. after obtaining her green card, how long will she need to remain in the U.S. per year to maintain her permanent resident status?

5. Anyone who has gone through a similar process, would love to hear your experiences!

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi I just want to share the ACL letter Sample from NVC. So people knows how it looks. I modified the case# and other important information for security reason.

Here's the attachment.

acl universal sample1.pdf

USCIS: IR-5

03/22/2010 - Sent I-130 for Both Parents via Express Mail

03/23/2010 - I-130 RCVD by USCIS

03/31/2010 - NOA 1 Receipt Date

04/14/2010 - NOA 1 RCVD

09/22/2010 - Approved

09/28/2010 - RCVD NOA 2

NVC:

10/06/2010 - NVC RCVD our Case from USCIS

10/12/2010 - All Day trying to Call NVC; line is sooo BUSY.

10/13/2010 - @ 1:28 AM CT I RCVD an email from NVC for my Mom's Case# & to pay AOS fee bill of $88. Haven't RCVD any yet for my Dad's petition.

10/13/2010 - @ 3:49 AM CT I RCVD an email from NVC for my Mom's DS-3032

10/13/2010 - @ 5:08 AM CT Emailed NVC to registered our respective Email Add'es.

10/13/2010 - @ 2:47 PM CT Finally got thru to NVC & registered our Email Add'es & Got my Dad's NVC Case#. Yey!

10/14/2010 - Paid AOS fee of $88.00 for Both Parents

10/14/2010 - Emailed DS 3032

10/15/2010 - @ 10:30 PM RCVD an email from NVC for my Dad's ACL Universal

10/16/2010 - @ 12:53 PM RCVD Signed DOCS package from my Parents

10/19/2010 - @ 12:33 AM AOS shown as PAID & Printed the AOS Cover Sheet

10/20/2010 - Sent DS 3032 Hard Copy

10/25/2010 - DS 3032 Delivered

10/28/2010 - Sent I-864 (AOS) on the Mail

10/28/2010 - @ 4:49 AM DS 3032 Accepted

11/01/2010 - IV Fee Bill Generated

11/02/2010 - AOS Delivered

11/15/2010 - My Parents RCVD their NEW Passports, PAID IV Fee Bill of $404 for each Parent

11/16/2010 - IV Fee Bill shown as PAID & Printed the coversheet

12/02/2010 - DS 230 Mailed

12/30/2010 - NVC emailed me Case Complete

01/18 & 19/2011 - Medical DONE

02/03/2011 - Interview @8:30 AM APPROVED!!!

02/09/2011 - Visa on Hand

03/11/2011 - Fly out, POE: San Fo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello

Just wanted to drop a note to the admin that several of your links are broken. I am particularly talking about the links in Immigrating Siblings.

The State Travel Visa Bulletin Site is now located at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

Also, the 1st post has broken link as well. Maybe it should have been:

USCIS FAQ Guide for bringing foreign relatives to the US

K, hope this will help someone navigating thru the links :)

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

What about guidelines and procedures for a naturalized US citizen petitioning for an unmarried son or daughter over the age of 21?

We just received notice from the USCIS that his case is being turned over to the NVC for further processing, I think they will be contacting her son. But are wondering what comes next?

We did email the NVC with updated contact information, things do change after four years following their contact rules Is in Venezuela and their postal department sucks for lack of a better word.

Did anyone here experience where and how the consulate contacts an unmarried son or daughter?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Post containing TOS violating advertisement link removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.