Captain Ewok

Immigration Guides for Foreign Relatives

87 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

General Guide for Immigrating Siblings to the US.

General Guide for Immigrating Children to the US.

USCIS FAQ Guide for bringing foreign relatives to the US: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A1.pdf

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

USCIS FAQ Guide for bringing foreign relatives to the US: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A1.pdf

Hello Ewok

I was reading through the guidelines to better understand the way USCIS works. I did not find a thread for N600 and the guideline procedure for a USC to bring a minor child is not as I previously understood. I thought that once one becomes a USC, their minor children become USCs as well and all that one has to do is to file the N600. The guidelines say that one has to petition for alien relative by way of the I-130.........!! Are your guidelines correct and I am wrong?

Thanks

Gracey

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello Ewok

I was reading through the guidelines to better understand the way USCIS works. I did not find a thread for N600 and the guideline procedure for a USC to bring a minor child is not as I previously understood. I thought that once one becomes a USC, their minor children become USCs as well and all that one has to do is to file the N600. The guidelines say that one has to petition for alien relative by way of the I-130.........!! Are your guidelines correct and I am wrong?

Thanks

Gracey

If the parent becomes a USC after the children are born they have to be petitioned to come using the I-130. Only children born after the parent becomes a USC can claim US citizenship.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

• 4 months later...

ok i have a question

the links above are for siblings and children... but what if you want to bring a parent over? do you use the relative link?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes. You will have to be a US citizen first and then file an I-130 for each of your parents.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My wife and I are considering petitioning for my wife's mother. I am a USC and my wife is a Green Card holder. Is it possible for me to petition for my mother-in-law ( my mother-in-law lives in Colombia)

If it is possible, can you refer me to more information on this site.

Also, has anyone else gone through this process and how long did it take?

Thank you

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My wife and I are considering petitioning for my wife's mother. I am a USC and my wife is a Green Card holder. Is it possible for me to petition for my mother-in-law ( my mother-in-law lives in Colombia)

Thank you

You can not petition for your Mother-in-law, you wife will need to become a Citizen first then she can file an I-130 for her Mother the process is almost the same as it is for an IR-1 and will take about 12 months from the time your wife files the I-130.

As I said your wife will need to become a Citizen first.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Thank you

You can not petition for your Mother-in-law, you wife will need to become a Citizen first then she can file an I-130 for her Mother the process is almost the same as it is for an IR-1 and will take about 12 months from the time your wife files the I-130.

As I said your wife will need to become a Citizen first.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time. Not the answer I was hoping for but at least we now know.

Thanks again

I just wanna ask if an infant (months old) needs a to apply for a US visa? Also, I already have my case number and turned in all the papers needed for documentation in the NVC. How long will it take to get an interview and medical appoinment?

Hope you can help me answer this questions.

Thanks!

Timeline

The infant won't have to apply for an immigrant visa, he/she will have to be petitioned. On the other hand, his/her parents can petition a tourist visa for him/her at the same time their petitioning theirs.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

ve got my citizenship on 12/17/08. And I sent form 130 for my sister(she is 37yld and not married).

It has been received and check was cashed. But they said on NOA this only to show that it was received, not even pending.

Anyone has an idea how long will take? Please advice

Thank you

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ve got my citizenship on 12/17/08. And I sent form 130 for my sister(she is 37yld and not married).

It has been received and check was cashed. But they said on NOA this only to show that it was received, not even pending.

Anyone has an idea how long will take? Please advice

Thank you

It will take about 11 years for a visa to become available to your sister, she will be in category F4 and they are issuing visa's to people who applied in October 1998.

See here for dates that are getting visa's now. http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_4512.html

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I am a citizen and currently working as a contractor overseas, and I want to know if it is possible for me to file petition for my brother/sister.

My questions are:

1. Can I file the petition even if I am overseas? I know the petition for sibling takes a while so I want to file it now, so the petition will move and who knows by the time we got the approval we are already moved in the US.

2. Can we use our APO Address when filing the petition? as currently, we dont have any property/house in the USA. I am just using my sister-in-law home address..

3. Can I file the petition for my sister and brother at the same time? Or should I wait till my sister got approve?

Your help is really appreciated.

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timeline

you have now asked this question in Three differnt threads. PLease give the people on VJ a chance to answer before starting multiple threads with the same question. When someone knows the answer as they have already given they will get it to you.

I am a citizen and currently working as a contractor overseas, and I want to know if it is possible for me to file petition for my brother/sister.

My questions are:

1. Can I file the petition even if I am overseas? I know the petition for sibling takes a while so I want to file it now, so the petition will move and who knows by the time we got the approval we are already moved in the US.

2. Can we use our APO Address when filing the petition? as currently, we dont have any property/house in the USA. I am just using my sister-in-law home address..

3. Can I file the petition for my sister and brother at the same time? Or should I wait till my sister got approve?

Your help is really appreciated.

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.