Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Drivers Permit

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China

My wife's command of English is quite limited. She has had a Chinese drivers permit for years and drives regularly. Unfortunately, Florida provides no facility for non-English speakers (with the exception, of course, of Spanish) to take the learners permit test in Chinese. Furthermore, they do not provide a drivers instruction manual in Chinese. I read an earlier post on the CFL website that advised that the Florida learners permit test can be taken online, but that program is now discontinued.

I estimate it would take her about six months to be proficient enough in English to take the learners permit test. My business requires that I travel out of the country frequently, and I live in an area where it is impossible to go anywhere without a car. I must solve the problem how, in the meanwhile, my wife can get around during the times I am away.

A DMV worker told me that if my wife had an International Drivers Permit, she is permitted to drive in the US. She advised me to call the AAA to make an application. Upon calling AAA, however, I was told that the US is not one of the countries listed that accept the International Drivers Permit. The AAA suggested that my wife try to obtain an International Permit in China.

Anyway, those Floridians among you who have Chinese spouses must have run up against this hurdle. I'd appreciate your advice.

Edited by Andrew_Qin

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: China

The person at AAA is mistaken. The US does accept international drivers permits, but they are generally only needed if the foreign drivers license is in a language that is not easily readable by the local police (like Chinese). AAA won't be able to issue her an international permit though. That would have to be issued in her home country since it is mainly a certified translation of the pertinent information on the license. might want to check on the CFL or CFV forums for more specific information. You can also check the Chinese consulate website to see if they can issue the international permit.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: China

agreed that the IDL is only a translation of the original liscense, both of which must be in possession to drive in USA. sometime back in the 1940's an international agreement was signed by about 75 countries, including the USA, to allow drivers from signatory states to operate in all signed countries.

you can get an IDL translation on the internet for about $75 in about a week by submitting a scanned color copy of your china liscense and a passport style photo (both in jpeg) to a provider you can find with google search. the provider validates the actual liscense and issues a translation card that is good for 1 year after immigrating to USA, or until the expiration date of her chinese liscense.

as far as her actual ability to drive in USA, beware. chinese driving rules and style are nothing like USA rules and style. you will also find that she does not take direction well in terms of processing speed. this is common to all chinese drivers that immigrate. they are not designed with the same sense of time-urgency that we are.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam

Florida will allow a third party to translate for her and spanish is not the only language other than English.. they also have books and tests Creole...

:ot: IMO its discrimination based on national origin that they dont provide the same resources to everyone regardless of language.. if they are going to have text in one language do it for all or english only and be fair to all...:ot2:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China

I would be looking into the local Chinese associations and groups in yer area, for assistance on this particular thing - trust me ,they've already sussed out how to 'make it work'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...