vagobond

Questions regarding Moroccan/American marriage and immigration

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I apologize as I realize that many of these questions have been asked before but I've searched through the forums without finding all the answers I'm looking for and I'm hoping that some of you can help me to get an understanding of what seems to be an incredibly confusing process.

Here is our situation: I'm American and my wife is Moroccan. We've been married for a year and a half and we've lived together in Morocco and Turkey. We are expecting our first child in a few months. I haven't been back to the US for about 2 1/2 years. I'm self employed and my income is sporadic and not very high. I make enough to keep us housed and fed in Morocco or Turkey, but probably not enough to support us in Hawaii where I come from. We have no intention of going back to the US for the next year or so, but after that, we are considering it, mainly for the benefit of our child.

So, here are my questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what I have to do to make sure our child gets US citizenship?

2) Is it possible to get my wife a visa when we don't have a US residence?

3) I've heard that the American partner has to have an established residence in the US? Is that true? Can I establish a residence without being there and separating from my family?

4) Are there financial requirements in order to get my wife a visa?

5) How long does the process take? What's the best way to go about it? How much does it end up costing?

I've found some information that answers these questions, but I'm really hoping that someone who has been through the process can definitively clear these things up for me.

Frankly, I am somewhat astounded that these things are issues since from what I've been told by some other people it seems that I will either have to separate from my family in order to get a visa or never go back to Hawaii. Frankly, both options are unacceptable.

Thank you for any light you can shed on these questions.

~vago

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I apologize as I realize that many of these questions have been asked before but I've searched through the forums without finding all the answers I'm looking for and I'm hoping that some of you can help me to get an understanding of what seems to be an incredibly confusing process.

Here is our situation: I'm American and my wife is Moroccan. We've been married for a year and a half and we've lived together in Morocco and Turkey. We are expecting our first child in a few months. I haven't been back to the US for about 2 1/2 years. I'm self employed and my income is sporadic and not very high. I make enough to keep us housed and fed in Morocco or Turkey, but probably not enough to support us in Hawaii where I come from. We have no intention of going back to the US for the next year or so, but after that, we are considering it, mainly for the benefit of our child.

So, here are my questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what I have to do to make sure our child gets US citizenship?

2) Is it possible to get my wife a visa when we don't have a US residence?

3) I've heard that the American partner has to have an established residence in the US? Is that true? Can I establish a residence without being there and separating from my family?

4) Are there financial requirements in order to get my wife a visa?

5) How long does the process take? What's the best way to go about it? How much does it end up costing?

I've found some information that answers these questions, but I'm really hoping that someone who has been through the process can definitively clear these things up for me.

Frankly, I am somewhat astounded that these things are issues since from what I've been told by some other people it seems that I will either have to separate from my family in order to get a visa or never go back to Hawaii. Frankly, both options are unacceptable.

Thank you for any light you can shed on these questions.

~vago

1.) When your child is born, go to the US Consulate in Casablanca and file for the child's citizenship there. A DNA test may or may not be required.

2.) You're going to need to prove domicile in the US. This could be as simple as using a parent's or other family member's address in the US as a place you will be staying when you return. An affidavit from them will most likely be required.

3.)In the event that use of a family member's address is not possible, you may be able to arrange to make a deposit on a place before arriving in the US (I'd only do this if the people were trusted, or you could have a friend or family member make arrangements on your behalf).

4.) You must sign an affidavit of support, which requires you make 125% of the poverty guideline for the year you apply. If you're going to be living in Hawaii, the guidelines are higher. For this year, for 3 people in the state of Hawaii, the guideline is $26,650. You can use a co sponsor if needed.

5.) If you file directly through the consulate in Casablanca (you must have held legal Moroccan residence for 6 months prior to filing to do this), you can shave about 5 months off the process, knocking it down to around 3-4 months between filing and visa issuance.

You don't have to return to Hawaii, but in order to file overseas, you must hold 6 months of legal residency to file DCF. In Morocco, that means holding a valid Carte de Sejour, not just living there. And some of the US domicile issues may be a little tough to work out from overseas, but it is doable. Wish you much luck.

Sarah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.