Julita86

good reason for expedited advance parole?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am engaged to an Iranian from Sweden who is here on a volunteer (B1) visa which expires on September 27th. We are trying to get married sometime this summer. We are Baha'is and need the consent of our parents for marriage. His mother is very adamant that we go to Sweden sometime this August because his grandfather will be visiting from Iran. It is his first trip to Sweden and probably his last. He is 80 years old and it is very hard to get a visa to Sweden after the age of 80. He didn't get a visa last year when he applied, and this visa that he has now is just for the month of August. Since he is elderly, he probably won't make any more big trips anyway. My fiance, Sina, is an Iranian citizen and if he goes back to Iran to visit, he will be drafted into the army since he is over 18, which we obviously don't want to happen. It also isn't safe for him to go to Iran because he is a Baha'i and the Baha'is are heavily persecuted in Iran. So, the tentative plan right now is to get married in the beginning of July because it is the earliest time that his family can come here. We will immediately file for adjustment of status and advance parole and then try to get the advance parole expedited, since we probably won't get the advance parole in time the normal method. I am hoping you guys can let me know if you think we have a good chance of getting the advance parole expedited. Our justification is that it will probably be the last time that Sina and his grandfather can see each other, since Sina can't travel to Iran and it is almost impossible for his grandfather to get a visa to either the U.S. or Sweden, and given his age, probably won't travel anymore anyway. We are going to bring some medical records to the USCIS office that show that his grandfather has a minor heart condition (just minor) and high cholesterol and had a recent eye surgery. We will also bring a copy of his passport that shows that he is from Iran and that he is 80 years old. We will also bring Sina's Iranian passport to prove that he is an Iranian citizen and his Baha'i ID card. Do you think this is enough evidence and a good enough reason to get the advance parole expedited? Our local office is Boston, if that makes a difference... Also, when you get an expedited advance parole, is it effective immediately and how long is it valid for? Because we might apply for it in July but want to use it in August to travel for about a week. Thank you so much!

Since you'll already have the intent to migrate on a visitor visa, which is going against the purpose of a visitor visa I just wants to point out a inaccuracy in your post. When does the 1-194 expires, B1 visa generally are for multiple entry and their expiration dates does coincide with the expiration date that the CBP gave him at his POE. You'll will be taking a risk to try to marry and AOS from a visitor visa.

The purpose of an expedited Advance Parole are generally for unplanned emergencies. This situation doesn't seem to meet that requirement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.