NeedInfo3839

Wedding Ceremony, Or Just Legal Marriage?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I plan to marry my Egyptian fiance in summer 2012. I am Christian and he is Muslim. So I think we will just have a legal marriage, because we don't really know how a ceremony would go over... His family wouldn't like a christian ceremony, and I don't know if I want a Muslim ceremony... He and I don't really put demans on each other to conform to the other's ways.

So... Is just a legal contract ok? I mean we might have like a party after and invite some of his friends and family, and take pictures of the party. But I don't think we're gonna have a ceremony.

Edited by Melissa N Khalid

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am Christian and my husband is Muslim. We got married in the court in Egypt. We had a small dinner party several days later at my in-law's house. Nothing fancy, no wedding dress etc. Don't get sucked into an Orfi marriage just for the purpose of cohabitation. If this guy is serious he will go down to the court with you and do it all the legal way. There are many steps to the process so you need to start now to collect information.

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You simply have to be legally married. There is nothing that states it must be a fancy ceremony followed by a huge party

We married simply at city hall

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

I am Christian and my husband is Muslim. We got married in the court in Egypt. We had a small dinner party several days later at my in-law's house. Nothing fancy, no wedding dress etc. Don't get sucked into an Orfi marriage just for the purpose of cohabitation. If this guy is serious he will go down to the court with you and do it all the legal way. There are many steps to the process so you need to start now to collect information.

Yeah, he wants to get married in the court, and so do I. So its good to know that someone else did the same. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I plan to marry my Egyptian fiance in summer 2012. I am Christian and he is Muslim. So I think we will just have a legal marriage, because we don't really know how a ceremony would go over... His family wouldn't like a christian ceremony, and I don't know if I want a Muslim ceremony... He and I don't really put demans on each other to conform to the other's ways.

So... Is just a legal contract ok? I mean we might have like a party after and invite some of his friends and family, and take pictures of the party. But I don't think we're gonna have a ceremony.

I am Catholic and My Husband Is Muslim.

My Husband And I married In The Ministry Of Justice In Egypt And had a Honeymoon.His Family wanted a big celebration but I Like Simple things nothing fancy :thumbs:

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Timeline

Ahmed and I went to the court also. It was cool because you got to bring 2 male witnesses with you to sign the contract as well. While we waited to get married my husband helped some other couples. Ahmed as always prepared for everything had our 2 witnesses, but some other couples did not, so my husband got to witness for them and they were able to get married. Always the hero my Ahmed.

Also make sure you get there early, it can be crowded.

Oh and another thing we didnt think about, you got to get your residency stamp before you can get married. We waited forever for our turn then when we got to our time we find out we cant get married unless we get a stamp in my passport. Ahmed and I almost missed getting married because of this, lol should've seen us running from one place to another and trying to make it back in time to get married. We of course made it back too late, but my husband wouldnt take that as a final answer and somehow managed to get them to open back up long enough to marry us.

Edited by Amber & Ahmed

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh yeah , the residency stamp, we got mine 1 hour before we married, the Ministry of Justice building is a real dump, hold tight in the elevator, but all in all went real smooth with signing of the contract, I did not know we were married, I signed my name 5 times, took thumb prints 5 times and BAM, we were married, we walked out of the office I asked Amr, when will we be married, he kissed me on cheek and said, We are married Mrs. Ali, haaa :rofl:

Just as Betsy and her hubby did, we had a Wedding/Birthday celebration the night after we married with his family, and a friend. The night before we married, we had a pre wedding celebration, make sure you take lots of pics with his family and friends, they are important, especially if your not going to be there for a full 10 days. I knew of a person who got a RFE cause when they married, she was not there 10 days, I guess due to the high fraud there.

You dont need a big , fancy celebration, we had only pastrys, and soft drinks in our apartment in New Maadi with family and friends for the mini celebration. Best wishes.

Timeline

Oh yeah , the residency stamp, we got mine 1 hour before we married, the Ministry of Justice building is a real dump, hold tight in the elevator, but all in all went real smooth with signing of the contract, I did not know we were married, I signed my name 5 times, took thumb prints 5 times and BAM, we were married, we walked out of the office I asked Amr, when will we be married, he kissed me on cheek and said, We are married Mrs. Ali, haaa :rofl:

Just as Betsy and her hubby did, we had a Wedding/Birthday celebration the night after we married with his family, and a friend. The night before we married, we had a pre wedding celebration, make sure you take lots of pics with his family and friends, they are important, especially if your not going to be there for a full 10 days. I knew of a person who got a RFE cause when they married, she was not there 10 days, I guess due to the high fraud there.

You dont need a big , fancy celebration, we had only pastrys, and soft drinks in our apartment in New Maadi with family and friends for the mini celebration. Best wishes.

:rofl: Betsy When We went it was late they was about to close and they said we needed that stamp so we went to get it but was to late when we came back so we married the next day. But Samething signed name few times and thumb print and we was married.

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Timeline

Funny ladies...rofl.gif... same thing here for me. I only knew I was married when I looked at my right thumb and seen it was blue! rofl.gif I kept saying..."so ummm that's it?" blink.gif "We are married?" I kept looking at my thumb and his thumb unsure.gif

Yes that residency stamp is a must! Wonder why that isnt made clear from the start?

A bit late to the party.

My husband and I just had a confidential marriage at a County Clerk office in Los Angeles, no witnesses, apart from our daughter (1 year old), but that wasn't required.

We had no party and actually no photos, only the all important document saying that we are married.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.