Captain Ewok

General Info on Naturalization

108 posts in this topic

I have one more year to go for applying USC; just a question to ask.

Becuase of my job (i m a airline pilot in US), i have to stay in Puerto Rico for seasonal factor; will that count as not in USA?

Thanks

Apr -19-2007: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-864, I-864A Sent via USPS; AOS from F-1 Visa

May-23-2007: Biometrics Done

Oct- 17-2007: I-485 Interview Approved; Card production

Aug-17-2009: I-751 Packet Sent to VSC

Sep-01-2009: ASC Biometrics Appointment Notice

Sep-29-2009: Bio Appointment

• 2 weeks later...

Becuase of my job (i m a airline pilot in US), i have to stay in Puerto Rico for seasonal factor; will that count as not in USA?

Thanks

Last-I-checked Puerto Rico is to US equivalent to what Lakshadweep is to India (or Nunavut to Canada)--not a State (Province), but still part-and-parcel. So, time in Puerto Rico would be "physically present in US".

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Thanks

Last-I-checked Puerto Rico is to US equivalent to what Lakshadweep is to India (or Nunavut to Canada)--not a State (Province), but still part-and-parcel. So, time in Puerto Rico would be "physically present in US".

I thought so too, appreciate your reply.

Apr -19-2007: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-864, I-864A Sent via USPS; AOS from F-1 Visa

May-23-2007: Biometrics Done

Oct- 17-2007: I-485 Interview Approved; Card production

Aug-17-2009: I-751 Packet Sent to VSC

Sep-01-2009: ASC Biometrics Appointment Notice

Sep-29-2009: Bio Appointment

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Feliz, Andy second and lucyrich for great links and info. I do hope a general guide gets added in the guide section detail all this info in the guides section.

Edited by Immigrant2009

I think I might do some research or gather info for N400 and make one big thread/post for it and may be that can be used as a reference for N400 till the offical VJ guides come to life for N400.

Edited by Immigrant2009

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I think I might do some research or gather info for N400 and make one big thread/post for it and may be that can be used as a reference for N400 till the offical VJ guides come to life for N400.

You mean like the pinned post? :)http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ost&p=39916

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I got excited when I saw your display name which suggests your location. Are you residing in Birmingham, Alabama and married to a Filipina from Bislig, Surigao?

Well, I am from Alabama too. Unlike you, I am going to submit my naturalization application next month for a reason. I hope you guys can post here the latest updates of the whole process especially the interview part. Since we will be interviewed the same district office, not unless there's changes, I would love to know how it works although I have read that oath-taking ceremonies are done the same day you passed depending on the cut-off time. That u likely take the oath the same day when your interview time is in the morning, provided you passed of course. While the afternoon scheds might have a following day oath-taking, which I find neat. I guess it also depends on the number of interviewees during the day.

I would love to hear from you guys and have a great weekend!!!

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

MY NATURALIZATION JOURNEY

8-28-2009 - Sent my application in

8-31-2009 - Recieved by USCIS (Texas Lockbox Facility)

9- 4 -2009 - Money order cashed

9- 8 -2009 - NOA receipt, dated September 2

9-28-2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received, dated September 24

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

10-26-2009- Receipt of Yellow Letter, dated October 22

11-2-2009 - Receipt of IL, dated October 30

12-8-2009 - Interview

5-19-2010 - Oath Ceremony (Birmingham Museum of Art)

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

ok i was about to send the n-400 form tomorrow but i got stuck on the application .. its asking for EDUCATION/EMPLOYMENT dates, what schools i went to, from what - to what date...same for employment from what to what date i worked? do i have to be exact with the dates or can i be a little off ..do you think that will delay/deny the citizenshippppp? ughh helpppppppppppp:( has somebody done this recentlyyyy =/

• 3 weeks later...

i have a question on filling out the N-400 application for US Citizenship, i dont think the instructions are clear enough, they tell us to put N/A and not leave any answers blank, if its not applicable to me... one thing i dont get is its asking like HOW MANY TIME HAVE I BEEN MARRIED, and i put 0, second question was is my spouse U.S citizen or no, i have to check YES OR NO ....should i just leave that blank since i havent been married????? i knew alot of people that had problems because of not putting N/A or leaving it blank....but some didnt have any problems =/ i dont want to have any delays or anything, because i need the citizenship as fast as i can get it =/

• 5 months later...
Hi there,

Please I would like to know when best to file for US Citizenship. I got to the US June 14,2005 on Diversity Visa. I know I have an option of filing 90 prior to June 14. I don't want to file early.

Please help.

You can apply according to the 90 days rule starting on 03/15/10

Good luck

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I was searching the USCIS website, and found this "new page" regarding "Spouses of US Citizens and Naturalization".....

Hope this helps you all too...

(note: maybe one of the vj mods can 'sticky' this topic too?....)

Ant

Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens

In general, you may qualify for naturalization under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if you have been a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years, have been living in marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time, and meet all other eligibility requirements under this section.

In certain cases, spouses of U.S. citizens employed abroad may qualify for naturalization regardless of their time as permanent residents. These spouses may qualify under Section 319(b) of the INA.

For information relating to spouses of military members, see the “Information for Members of the Military and Their Families” link to the right. For information about becoming a permanent resident or petitioning for family members, see the “Green Card” or “Family” links to the right.

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA, an applicant must:

Be 18 or older

Be a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

Have been living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse, who has been a U.S. citizen during all of such period, during the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application and up until examination on the application

Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application

Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application

Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization

Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application

Be able read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics)

Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law

Spouses of U.S. Citizens Employed Abroad

Generally, the spouse of a U.S. citizen who is employed by the U.S. government, including the military, or other qualifying employer, whose spouse is stationed abroad in such employment for at least 1 year, may be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(b) of the INA.

In general, a spouse of a U.S. citizen employed abroad must be present in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence at the time of examination on the naturalization application and at the time of naturalization, and meet of all of the requirements listed above except that:

No specific period as a permanent resident (green card holder) is required (but the spouse must be a permanent resident)

No specific period of continuous residence or physical presence in the United States is required

No specific period of marital union is required; however, the spouses must be living in marital union.

Note: You must also establish that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization and that you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon the termination of your spouse’s employment abroad.

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a0ffa3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a0ffa3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I was searching the USCIS website, and found this "new page" regarding "Spouses of US Citizens and Naturalization".....

Hope this helps you all too...

(note: maybe one of the vj mods can 'sticky' this topic too?....)

Hiya Ant, you mean like post #3?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 3 months later...

hi, i am planning to apply for the INA 319(b)

we live in an APO,AP address.. so what should I write on the part4. for the address? it says "do not write a PO box"

should I put the actual physical japanese address? or can I just write the APO, AP even if it would say PO BOX APO, AP ?

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.