Captain Ewok

General Info on Naturalization

108 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

To become a US Citizen you must complete a process known as Naturalization. See Section 8 of the FAQ's for general information on becoming a US Citizen.

Here is the VisaJourney Step-by-Step Naturalization Guide on becoming a US Citizen.

Edited by Captain Ewok
update guide

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please see the next post for a comprehensive list of links to uscis.gov

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

USCIS Fact Sheets For Naturalization

Citizenship is one of the most priceless gift that the U.S. government can bestow, and the most priceless immigration benefit that USCIS can grant.

The multi-language Guide to Naturalization is a downloadable document to help you prepare for naturalization to US Citizenship. Everyone should read this through completely. Remember that form fees and mailing instructions change before the Guide or the forms. ALWAYS check the form download page at uscis.gov for up to date forms, fees and mailing instructions!

A Guide to Naturalization

General Naturalization Requirements

Naturalization

Naturalization: Waivers, Exceptions, and Special Cases

Family Members of U.S. Citizens

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Waiver for Spouses: 3 years instead of 5

In general, if you have been a Permanent Resident for three years and have been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years AND you meet the other criteria (Residence and Physical Presence, Good Moral Character, Language etc), you are eligible for naturalization.

So called "conditional residents" are Permanent Residents nonetheless.

5. When does my time as a Permanent Resident begin?

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as Alien Registration Card). Click here to view a sample card.

Physical Presence Is Important!

"An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

-has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);

-has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;

-has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)

-has resided within a state or district for at least three months"

(for spouses of US Citizens filing under the "3 year" exception rule, change all "5 year" notes to 3 years)

Note from me: From the day you become a Permanent Resident, start keeping track of ALL time spent out of the US, including dates and dates of travel. Keep this list in one place, where it is easy for you to get at, and it will make completing N-400 much, much easier! Especially good idea for Canadians who cross the border a lot. Everyone should save whatever travel documentation available should it be required.

Fun!

Study materials in many languages, Flash Cards and test questions:

Civics and Citizenship Study Materials

100 Sample U.S. History Questions with Answers

These include the actual interview questions. Applicants should know all 100 questions, although a random 10 are selected and asked in the interview.

"There are also exceptions for lawful permanent residents married to U.S. citizens stationed or employed abroad. Some lawful permanent residents may not have to comply with the residence or physical presence requirements when the U.S. citizen spouse is employed by one of the following:"

(see this page for more info)

(I'm still looking for the new version of this page, if anyone has it)

There are also special rules for children. Please see this page for Children's Citizenship information:

Citizenship of Children

See the links on the right side of the page.

Info for Military Personnel and their families:

Naturalization Information for Military Personnel

A MUST read:

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Dual Nationality and

United States Law

by Rich Wales

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Read here before you swear:

Oath of Allegiance for Naturalized Citizens

Edited by meauxna

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

That is one awesome post, Mo. It'll be a great resource for anyone planning to naturalize. :thumbs:

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
So if someone does this, do they have to give up their other citizenship?

i think this depends on your country, some allows it some not

http://www.us-immigration.com/information/...itizenship.html

check here

09-14-2010 Boston's biggest ceremony of naturalization, I'm a citizen now! :)

1.png

http://www.us-immigration.com/information/...itizenship.html

check here

Oh, thanks! I was just wondering as my daughter is a dual citizen (Russian and American) and it is allowed in both countries, I imagine. I'm so sure if it's allowed in Russia, but I delivered her there, so that was her first citizenship. I was wondering how it would work for my husband. If they'd make him give up his citizenship or not. :)

Waiting for our interview for DCF... 14'th of June!

Recieved the visa on the 1'st of July!

.png

.png

• 5 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

(for spouses of US Citizens filing under the "3 year" exception rule, change all "5 year" notes to 3 years)

Since the USCIS website reorg I can't seem to find the regs on physical presence within the U.S., but I thought the requirement went something like - "...had to have been physically present for 18 months of the 3 years the applicant is using toward the requirement..."

According to the quote above, from your post, it would seem that total absence from the U.S. cannot exceed 6 months. Is that correct? Is that a new rule? Yikes! My wife is way over that already. Please say it ain't so.

Bob

Bob & Mon

Timeline

Since the USCIS website reorg I can't seem to find the regs on physical presence within the U.S., but I thought the requirement went something like - "...had to have been physically present for 18 months of the 3 years the applicant is using toward the requirement..."

According to the quote above, from your post, it would seem that total absence from the U.S. cannot exceed 6 months. Is that correct? Is that a new rule? Yikes! My wife is way over that already. Please say it ain't so.

Bob

Bob, I think you may have misunderstood. There are 2 guidelines,

-Absent +6 months at a stretch

-Total time in/out of the US since becoming a PR

-------------

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

-the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;

-the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and

-the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

(funny, I never noticed those restrictions on the US spouse before!)

Residence and Physical Presence

An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

-has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);

-has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;

-has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)

-has resided within a state or district for at least three months

I understand the spouse waiver time to make it 50% of your PR time *in* the US. So if we substitue 3 years for 5, half that time would be 18 of the past 36 months.

Is that better?

PS: anyone who has the links I'm missing, or finds other error, help a sister out and drop me a PM please. The CIS site re-org has made some extra chores!

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

• 1 month later...

My husband has been in the military for just a year and is currently in his first tour of duty in Iraq. I recently became a Conditional Permanent Resident last Oct. 18, 2006. Are there any special clauses for military people? As far as I know, I still need to lift conditions two years from now. But someone here in VJ told me that I am eligible for naturalization because I'm a military spouse and that I don't need to lift conditions anymore. Is this true? That I don't need to be a PR for three years.. I have read some parts in USCIS's Guide To Naturalization - that I don't need to meet the residency requirements. How true is this??

• 1 month later...

I was looking for a link that I can test myself to answer the question on-line, then it will tell me how many wrong and right answers I made. It's like a Quiz. I did that before from this forum, now I could not fine it. Please someone help me.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Site for exemptions:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

Naturalization: Waivers, Exceptions, and Special Cases

This page, part of the Naturalization information, lists some of the Waivers, Exceptions and Special Cases to the normal waiting period of five (5) years before attaining minimum eligibility to apply for Naturalization.

Family Members of U.S. Citizens

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;

o

the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and

o

the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

There are also exceptions for lawful permanent residents married to U.S. citizens stationed or employed abroad. Some lawful permanent residents may not have to comply with the residence or physical presence requirements when the U.S. citizen spouse is employed by one of the following:

the U.S. Government (including the U.S. Armed Forces);

American research institutes recognized by the Attorney General;

recognized U.S. religious organizations;

U.S. research institutions;

an American firm engaged in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States; or

certain public international organizations involving the United States.

See also INA 319, INA 316

Hmong Veterans' Naturalization Act of 2000

Children

There are several ways foreign-born children of U.S. citizens may obtain evidence of citizenship:

Generally, U.S. citizen parents of children born abroad may file a N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship. This form should be completed in accordance with the instructions provided and should be accompanied by 2 photographs of the child, copies of any documents that verify eligibility, and the required filing fee to be considered complete and ready to process.

Important note: Children born abroad of U.S. citizen parents derive citizenship from their parents. The Certificate of Citizenship is merely a record of citizenship - it does not confer citizenship on an applicant.

Adopted children of citizen parents acquire citizenship. For adopted children, adoptive parents file an N-643 instead of an N-600. However, adopted children over 18 must file an N-400.

For answers to more specific questions regarding naturalization of children, please contact your local INS office.

See also INA 320, INA 321, INA 322

Veterans of U.S. Armed Forces

Certain applicants who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to file for naturalization based on current or prior U.S. military service. Such applicants should file the N-400 Military Naturalization Packet.

Lawful Permanent Residents with Three Years U.S. Military Service

An applicant who has served for three years in the U.S. military and who is a lawful permanent resident is excused from any specific period of required residence, period of residence in any specific place, or physical presence within the United States if an application for naturalization is filed while the applicant is still serving or within six months of an honorable discharge.

To be eligible for these exemptions, an applicant must:

have served honorably or separated under honorable conditions;

completed three years or more of military service;

be a legal permanent resident at the time of his or her examination on the application; or

establish good moral character if service was discontinuous or not honorable.

Applicants who file for naturalization more than six months after termination of three years of service in the U.S. military may count any periods of honorable service as residence and physical presence in the United States.

Naturalization Applicants Who Have Served Honorably in Any Specified Period of Armed Conflict with Hostile Foreign Forces

This is the only section of the Immigration and Naturalization Act that allows persons who have not been lawfully admitted for permanent residence to file their own application for naturalization. Any person who has served honorably during a qualifying time may file an application at any time in his or her life if, at the time of enlistment, reenlistment, extension of enlistment or induction, such person shall have been in the United States, the Canal Zone, American Samoa, or Swains Island, or on board a public vessel owned or operated by the United States for noncommercial service, whether or not he has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.

An applicant who has served honorably during any of the following periods of conflict is entitled to certain considerations:

World War I - 4/16/17 to 11/11/18;

World War II - 9/1/39 to 12/31/46;

Korean Conflict - 6/25/50 to 7/1/55;

Vietnam Conflict - 2/28/61 to 10/15/78;

Operation Desert Shield/ Desert Storm - 8/29/90 to 4/11/91

Operation Enduring Freedom – 9/11/01 to (open); or

any other period which the President, by Executive Order, has designated as a period in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or were engaged in military operations involving armed conflict with hostile foreign forces.

Applicants who have served honorably during any of the aforementioned conflicts may apply for naturalization based on military service and no period of residence or specified period of physical presence within the United States or any State shall be required.

See also INA 328, INA 329

Grounds for Eligibility

The Immigration and Naturalization Service has other specific grounds for Naturalization. For additional information, please review the instructions on an N-400 Application for Naturalization and/or contact your local District Office.

Hope this helps!

Tracy

N-400

Sent March 18, 2009

Rec'd at AZ lockbox March 19, 2009 signed by Morihsey (sp?)

NOA sent to us March 26, 2009

Check cashed March 27, 2009 (showed in bank March 30, 2009)

NOA Rec'd on March 30, 2009

FP Letter rec'd April 6, 2009

Biometrics Appt April 18, 2009

Interview letter received April/29/09

Interview appt june/05/09 passed

Oath 08/07/09

Submit passport Application 8/7/2009

Passport received 8/14/2009

MOTHER'S IR5

I-130 Petition Mailed 03/09/2011

Check cashed 03/16/2011

NOA1 Received 03/18/2011

NOA2 Received 06/19/2011

NVC Assigned case number 07/08/2011

DS3032 Emailed 07/08/2011

AOS Fee paid online 07/11/2011

AOS fee showed paid, AOS packet mailed 07/13/2011

DS-3032 receipt confirmed by NVC through email 07/13/2011

AOS packet delivered, signed for by N Visa 07/14/2011

IV Fee bill generated- Available online 07/21/2011

IV Fee Bill Paid online 07/21/2011

• 4 months later...

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks

for all the information. IT is more than we needed but worth the time reading. Maybe I do not understand everything now but I will.

Thanks again,

you are a rea :dance: l blessing

October 22nd 2009 at 2:00 P.M. OATH COMPLETED

Oct. 22 9:05 A.M. Atlanta interview date for naturalization

Aug. 15 Received YELLOW LETTER, we are to bring to the interview state driver's license

Aug. 6, 2009 N.O.A. fingerprint appointment

June 29, 2009 Notice receipt date and priority date

June 25, 2009 Filed for naturalization

April 30, 2008 Filed for John's dual citizenship

April 24, 2008 JOHN BORN

Dec. 18, 2007 Completed first semester, an 'A' average

Sept. 21, 2007 Doctor reported, "your wife is two months with child"

Aug. 22, 2007 rose starts college

May 09, 2007 rose receives license to drive and drives us home.

Jan. 24, 2007 returned to Alabama

Dec. 28, 2007 remarried in Philippines, I promised her a Filipino wedding

Nov. 27, 2006 returned to Philippines

Aug. 01, 2006 rose receives P.G.C., no interviews here, no conditional card

July 25, 2006 received email - Approval

July 18, 2006 mailed update

July 07, 2006 R.F.E, update on income

June 26, 2006 We mailed hand-written letter requesting status of A.O.S.

Jan. 24, 2006 Biometrics completed, again

Nov. 02, 2005 R.F.E.

Sept. 20, 2005 A.O.S. transferred to C.S.C.

April 11, 2005 JAMES, BORN

July 22, 2004 A.O.S. receipt date, Atlanta

June 22, 2004 married

June 10, 2004 rose arrives in Alabama

May 23, 2004 Visa arrives

May 05, 2004 Embassy interview

Feb. 03, 2004 I-129 approved

Sept. 03, 2003 I-129 receipt date

Aug. 16, 2003 met Rose in Cebu

Jan. 20, 2003 mailed letter to her and waited

Jan. 20, 2003 read Rose's profile on website

• 2 months later...

topic with official info and discussion about absence out of country between 6 and 12 months

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89841

topic with official info and discussion about filing N400 90 days prior to full 18 month spent in US out of 3 years

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89225

my case number is WSC*002 08 XXXX, and on the front of check cashed at California SC there were handwritten the last 7 numbers 2 08 XXXX when you try number from check online, dont forget the asterisk * between 3 letters and 9 numbers

My PAST Timelines:

10/2004 - Conditional GC

08/2006 - 10/2007 - Lifting Conditions timeline

10/2007 - 6/26/2009 Citizenship, Los Angeles DO timeline

auBam7.png

CSC i-130 for my Mom

06/30/09 - delivered

07/06/09 - NOA date (rec'd - 07/10) #WAC 09xxx3, touched.

07/08/09 - check cashed, #WAC 09xxx2 (not online)

08/29/09 - APPROVED!!!

NVC

09/14/09 - NVC case # assigned, emails registered

09/17/09 - email AOS bill received and paid online, ds3032 received and returned

09/21/09 - AOS bill status "PAID", FedExed out AOS, 09/24/09 delivered to NVC

09/28/09 - AVR:AOS acknowledged

10/02/09 - 3032 was acknol. by NVC, paid IV Bill online

10/05/09 - emails: 1 pm -RFE for 3032, 3 pm - IV bill, 5 pm - status PAID

10/09/09 - ds230 delivered to NVC at 9am

10/14/09 - AVR: Checklist response was received

10/20/09 - login failed! - between 5 pm and 9 pm PST, at 5 pm it was still working

10/21/09 - case complete! (AVR updated after 10 pm) = total NVC 37 days

10/28/09 - interview date email came at 6.30 pm, no AVR changes yet

10/30/09 - AVR: "Case sent to embassy on Oct 29" = total 4 months from delivery of i130 to USCIS

11/02/09 - Medical

11/20/09 - Interview - PASSED!!!

11/28 - POE: LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.