CJ8611

Visiting the US using tourist visa after getting married

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Just a warning here:

You must never lie to CBP, DOS or USCIS when dealing with them for any immigration purposes. If you lie it's misrepresentation and will cause you problems in the future. If you lie about a Material fact (something that would affect a decision about letting you in or issuing any benefit to you) then it's Material Misrepresentation and is punished with a lifetime entry ban that is difficult to overcome.

So at POE if they ask the purpose of your visit and you don't tell them it's to visit your husband you might get away with it but if they find out it will cause your immigrant visa to be denied. If they have any reason to suspect you're married to a USC they will ask you leading questions in an attempt to set you up for getting caught in a lie.

If you attempt to visit just be prepared with lots of ties to return home. You might want to get the I-130 filed before coming and bring the NOA-1 with you as part of your proof of intent to return to the PH after your visit. For the I-130 all you need is a "Certified True Copy" of your marriage contract from the local Civil Registry. The NSO copy will be presented later in the process (NVC).

Just a warning here:

You must never lie to CBP, DOS or USCIS when dealing with them for any immigration purposes. If you lie it's misrepresentation and will cause you problems in the future. If you lie about a Material fact (something that would affect a decision about letting you in or issuing any benefit to you) then it's Material Misrepresentation and is punished with a lifetime entry ban that is difficult to overcome.

So at POE if they ask the purpose of your visit and you don't tell them it's to visit your husband you might get away with it but if they find out it will cause your immigrant visa to be denied. If they have any reason to suspect you're married to a USC they will ask you leading questions in an attempt to set you up for getting caught in a lie.

If you attempt to visit just be prepared with lots of ties to return home. You might want to get the I-130 filed before coming and bring the NOA-1 with you as part of your proof of intent to return to the PH after your visit. For the I-130 all you need is a "Certified True Copy" of your marriage contract from the local Civil Registry. The NSO copy will be presented later in the process (NVC).

Thanks a lot for the advice! Answering truthfully is always the best way when dealing with immigration officers. We'll look into the process of filing for the I-130 prior to leaving. Thanks again! :)

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.