hamtaro

managed to water damage my visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

74 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Somebody please tell me how long it takes to get a new visa, the embassy helpline won't tell me anything and I really need to know. They really need to warn people about this, my mother told me she's spilt drink on her passport in the damn plane and that would just about destroy the photo in these visas.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Contact the consul, bring your passport in they will print a new visa and you are done.

You may want to speak to a counselor though, you are taking this way to hard.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Kathryn it's not possible either to contact the consulate, they only have a really expensive phoneine where you ring and themn they give you a code for an email that bounces back a message saying "we'll respond in 3-5 days" well I can't last that long. I literally can't.

Things destroyed this week through spitting/spilling stuff on them= Macbook Air keyboard, US visa. What else?

Not possible to simply contact the consulate :(

Timeline

This is for the Ghaunzou Consulate but in response to a question about an immigrant visa being damaged (in this case during canceling an old passport)they respond:

Note: if, when canceling your old passport, your national passport authority has inadvertently damaged the U.S. immigrant visa, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the U.S. In such event, please bring your passport and visa package to the Consulate any day, Monday through Wednesday, at 2:00 p.m., with an explanation letter in both Chinese and English. Although it should be no problem to reissuue your visa, payment of an additional visa application fee may be required.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.htm#46

So, if one Consulate has a process in order to re-issue a damaged immigrant visa, you can be assured others do as well. As it notes here, you need to include an explanation of how the damage happened and you may be required to pay an additional fee. You do not have to re-do the whole process.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

no help on any site nor any FAQ on any US embassy website or anything anywhere says how long it takes to get a new visa nor the cost of it. Probably because people doing such styupid tings is uncommon, even though I wonder why because I marvel at the stupidity required to print such important things with water soluble ink, and not include any warning, even I have both a lazer and ink sublimation printer that not only print with waterproof ink but the ink sublimation one prints with the quality of a professional photo. I don;t understand how they can do this, it's like they do it on purpose. What professional body uses inkjet in 2011?

"payment of an additional visa application fee may be required." which is a flabbergasting fortune. Over being retarded.

Time to give up I think and finally be beaten by it, no point of this now but to stop pretending there's nothing wrong with me in order to get visas and demand the NHS remove the cyst on my brain that's caused my life to be a misery and litany of failure. Looks like I'll be here for the duration anyhow.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Have you *tried* calling the embassy before jumping to conclusions?? I'm sure it happens to people all the time - just call them and calmly explain what happened. It's not a big deal.

Married: Sept 4 2010

USCIS (124 days)

I-130 sent: Nov 22 2010

NOA1: Dec 9 2010

Touched: Jan 10 2011

Touched: Mar 23 2011

NOA2: Apr 12 2011

NVC (27 days)

Case entered: Apr 26 2011

Received DS-3032 and AOS invoice by email: Apr 29 2011

Emailed DS-3032 and paid AOS fee: Apr 29 2011

Received IV invoice and paid IV fee: May 3 2011

Mailed AOS and IV packets: May 7 2011

SIF and case complete: May 23 2011

Medical/Embassy

X-ray: Jun 6 2011

Medical exam: Jun 8 2011

Interview: Jun 22 2011 - approved

Received visa: Jun 24 2011

POE

Jul 15 2011

Total days from NOA1 to interview: 195

Timeline

no help on any site nor any FAQ on any US embassy website or anything anywhere says how long it takes to get a new visa nor the cost of it. Probably because people doing such styupid tings is uncommon, even though I wonder why because I marvel at the stupidity required to print such important things with water soluble ink, and not include any warning, even I have both a lazer and ink sublimation printer that not only print with waterproof ink but the ink sublimation one prints with the quality of a professional photo. I don;t understand how they can do this, it's like they do it on purpose. What professional body uses inkjet in 2011?

"payment of an additional visa application fee may be required." which is a flabbergasting fortune. Over being retarded.

Now you are going overboard. You can continue to enjoy your misery if that is what you want or you can start to move forward. You are not the only one that this has happened to, guaranteed. There is a solution. It is found by contacting the Consulate.

I would take the additional visa fee part to mean covering the costs of re-printing - not re-doing the visa. Realistically, I would be very surprised if it were even as high as $100 - still much cheaper than doing the process over again - especially when it ISN"T NECESSARY. :). Really - vent a little bit more, get it out of your system and then start working to make things right - like you did for the medical.

btw - this is the part of the Consulate post you would be better focusing on: " . . . it should be no problem to reissuue your visa"

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

WHY IS IT PRINTED WITH WATER SOLUBLE INK?

I've somehow got splotches of water damage over my photo! I'm screwed!

How bad is it? I took my passport to work to make copies for my wifes interview and it fell out of my pocket into the cooling tower. Lucky I grabbed it before it was totally soaked. I hope yours is acceptable. :unsure:

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm sure you're very upset with yourself, we all would be if this happened to any of us, but you just need to take a few deep breaths. This journey is so difficult and the process takes a lot out of all of us emotionally, I know to reach the end and then have something like this happen must feel huge right now. It's not. It's really really not. Don't fret anymore over this, pull yourself together and move forward, this is really not a big deal even though it feels earth-shattering right now while you're still in the moment. Accidents happen and the consulate knows this, I am certain you can get your visa replaced. You're going to look back at it one day and get a good laugh, I promise.

You've come so far, just some baby steps to go. Don't let yourself fall apart, your other half needs you! (F)

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

I'm sure you're very upset with yourself, we all would be if this happened to any of us, but you just need to take a few deep breaths. This journey is so difficult and the process takes a lot out of all of us emotionally, I know to reach the end and then have something like this happen must feel huge right now. It's not. It's really really not. Don't fret anymore over this, pull yourself together and move forward, this is really not a big deal even though it feels earth-shattering right now while you're still in the moment. Accidents happen and the consulate knows this, I am certain you can get your visa replaced. You're going to look back at it one day and get a good laugh, I promise.

You've come so far, just some baby steps to go. Don't let yourself fall apart, your other half needs you! (F)

My other half is still convinced the visa doesn't need replacing and embassies only say this for the same reason they say "YOU NEED A VISA IF YOU'VE EVER BEEN ARRESTED FOR ANYTHING EVER" even though that's bull... money.

But I can't deal with the uncertainty and the extreme expense of this. I wanted to book my flight on monday after sorting my cat out. I wanted to leave in a month. I've been an emotional wreck over the cat and fixed it. One horrible problem then another. I'm a bonafide screwup. Just checked my email and customers whining from here til doomsday over terribly tiny things compared to this and I can't deal with them, in fact right now I want them all to go to hell. Going to crash and burn any moment soon.

"person on the USCIS phone line told me that as long as all number/letters are not smudged and the photo is still clearly you it should be fine"

"they will just tell you to go to the embassy for evaluation

19:09

and the embassy will just tell you to get a new visa

19:10

because you pay them for a new visa

19:10

and they want you to pay them"

Border control:

"they said nobody would make a decision based on a scan, so you would have to bring it to the nearest port of entry to make a decision or a consulate

20:02

if you wanted to be sure

but that if you did travel on a visa that

appeared to be tampered it would just

delay your entry

as long as you do in fact

have a valid visa

ie

they will have to check a bunch of ######

but you would not be sent back"

London US Embassy:

"omg lol you totally need a new visa if three's a tiny spot on it because it's INVALIDATED"

Who do you believe?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.