pocheros

Where to translate birth certificate

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it necessary to notorize the translated birth certificates? I got a translated birth certificate with the translator's seal and statement of accuracy at the bottom of the translated document. Does anyone know if Vancouver would require this document to be notorized as well?

I do not think they require the documents to be notarized .. I think they would be fine with only the translator's certification but I had it notarized just in case, at the time I thought it could not hurt to have it done anyway .. lol

This is what USCIS say about translated documents:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

K1

2008-07-09 : I-129F Sent

2008-11-18 : I-129F NOA2

2008-11-24 : Consulate Received

2008-11-30 : Packet 3 Received

2009-01-26 : Medical appointment (3 vaccines shots !)

2009-02-09 : Packet 3 Sent

2009-03-30 : Packet 4 Received

2009-04-28 : Visa APPROVED !!!!!

2009-05-01 : Visa in hand !!!!!

2009-08-22 : Big smile and moving to sunny Florida

2009-08-23 : Finally here in Florida with my babe :)

2009-09-17 : Civil wedding :)

AOS

2009-10-13 : Filed for AOS, AP, EAD

2009-10-23 : AOS NOA Received

2009-10-23 : AP NOA Received

2009-10-23 : EAD NOA Received

2009-11-05 : AOS Transfered to CSC

2009-11-18 : Biometrics Appt.

2009-12-04 : AP Approved

2009-12-11 : EAD Card received

2010-02-16 : AOS Approved and Greencard Received ! :)

Removing conditions on 11/16/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it necessary to notorize the translated birth certificates? I got a translated birth certificate with the translator's seal and statement of accuracy at the bottom of the translated document. Does anyone know if Vancouver would require this document to be notorized as well?

My translator's seal was sufficient for Montreal. I would expect they have the same requirements in Vancouver.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Packet 3 from Montreal states that it must be done by a certified translator and notarized. Maybe the notarization is interchangeable with the seal, however... I found out there's a notary close to the translation place so I should be able to take care of everything there. The only thing is the lady wasn't sure if their French -> English translator was certified by the ATIO so she has to check and call me back. I also have to give them the docs in person which is a bit out of the way but it also reassures me that they know what they're doing and it's all "official." So if anyone in Ontario wants to get their docs translated try the Centre for Education and Training in Mississauga. It's right near Square One. :)

Ozone, thanks for the link :)

Timeline

Wow, that does sound like a pain! :( I think notaries aren't that hard to find, actually- can't you usually find one at the bank? But then I *think* there's different kinds of notaries. On the phone the lady referred to the notary as a "commissioner of oath," so I don't know if that's different... I actually didn't learn what a notary was until I started my visa!

Timeline

And just as an addition: Piefre, I would follow packet 3 instructions regarding the requirements for translations, as they can vary depending on the consulate and type of visa. USCIS and DoS have less strict guidelines, those are just the "minimum" for the consulates, if my research is correct. However I see according to your timeline that you haven't received packet 3 yet, so for now perhaps you shouldn't worry? Even so there are posters that have been fine without getting their translations notarized. I'm just super ####### and want to make sure my bases are covered so nothing gets delayed/no one can say "I told you so" or "it was in the instructions." :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.