cchhat01

Name changing after (fiancée's) arrival in the US

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I have filed for a K1 Visa on behalf of my fiancée.

My question is, if my fiancee would like to change how her first name is spelled, how do we go about doing this so that we don't have to re-apply for thigns like social security, etc.

For example, pretend her name is Amy Waters and she wants to change it to Aimee Waters.

Point to note is that we would be getting married sometime soon after her arrival so we would like to incorporate the name change in our official documents while filing for the Adjustment of Status (AOS I-485), Advanced Parole, Employment Authorization (EAD)... alond with Social Security Card, Driver's licence, etc...

This is going to be in addition to the Last name change after our wedding. She will be taking my last name.

Also, currently she has no middle name. And after marriage she will likely take my first name to be her middle name.

Pretend that my name is Chigs Gilmour. After wedding she would be Aimee Chigs Gilmour.

How can all this be worked into the process so that all the documents are done in the right order.

Thanks in advnace

Chigs

Edited by Ami&Chigs
Spoiler

N400 Journey:

01-Mar-2017: Filed N400 Application

08-Mar-2017: Check Cashed

08-Mar-2017: NOA

06-Apr-2017: Early FingerPrints (Orig: 12-Apr-2017)

10-Apr-2017: Case In Line for Interview

10-Sep-2017: Interview Scheduled

20-Oct-2017: Interview, recommended for approval

01-Dec-2017: In line for Oath

08-Dec-2017: Oath Ceremony Scheduled SMS/Email

19-Dec-2017: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You may want to contact the division of your conunty court system that deals with name changes. The change in spelling of your fiancee's first name may require the jumping through of some hoops.

As for middle and last names, it may be as simple as getting a marriage certificate issued with the names and then going forward with paperwork for all the agencies. Other who have been through this can answer better.

Also, once the spelling of her first name is changed, she may need a new passport issued if she intends to use it for international travel.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

You may want to contact the division of your conunty court system that deals with name changes. The change in spelling of your fiancee's first name may require the jumping through of some hoops.

As for middle and last names, it may be as simple as getting a marriage certificate issued with the names and then going forward with paperwork for all the agencies. Other who have been through this can answer better.

Also, once the spelling of her first name is changed, she may need a new passport issued if she intends to use it for international travel.

Well according to the following:

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/name_change.shtml

She cannot change her middle name at marriage. We are trying to get this done before the wedding. But if its not possible, then we won't delay our wedding just for this reason. I was just trying to understand if there is a way to get this done asap once she gets here.

Its basically going to go from Amy to Ami.

Since I am a new york city resident, I guess it would be great if some New Yorkers can chime in on this.

I'll also be digging around on google and will post if I find something.

Also, with respect to name change after the wedding, will she not need a new Passport irrespective of the spelling change of her first name?

Thanks,

Chigs

Spoiler

N400 Journey:

Timeline

Also, with respect to name change after the wedding, will she not need a new Passport irrespective of the spelling change of her first name?

I mentioned the passport thing because a frequently asked question on the forums is this, "my passport has my maiden name but my green card has my married name, which name should I use to book the airline ticket to an international destination." (Answer being name in the passport)

In general, there does not appear to be a requirment to obtain a new passport should a person take a married last name.

Specific to you, since your fiancee will legally change how her first name is spelled, she will need a new passport.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

She can call herself anything that she wants. The legal name change is likely a bit more complicated and a US court wouldn't have jurisdiction until she is at least an LPR (I would think). You already learned about the middle name. Might be worth contacting an immigration attorney to ask the question. Couldn't cost that much to get the answer.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just because if I don't someone else will I should correct you... YOU filed for a K1 PETITION, you did not file for a Visa. She files for the K1 Visa if your petition is approved. There's a big difference. You filed a petition the US government for permission for HER to apply for the fiancee visa.

First name requires a court order and as others have said, the US might not have jurisdiction to do that until she's an LPR. Why doesn't she change her name in her home country before filing for the K1 visa? She is able to apply for the visa in her new changed name showing the name change document from the name you petitioned for her in. This might be your best bet. The only issue here would mean she would change her passport to get her visa issued in her new name and then again in her married name if she wants BUT there is no urgency to do the married name change.

For me (in Australia), there was a year deadline under which I could get a free passport in my married name if I applied within the first year of marriage so that's why I did it quick. Otherwise I would have waited until my passport expired BUT would have needed to carry the marriage certificate to link GC married name to passport maiden name.

Timeline
I mentioned the passport thing because a frequently asked question on the forums is this, "my passport has my maiden name but my green card has my married name, which name should I use to book the airline ticket to an international destination." (Answer being name in the passport)

No it's any government-issued photo ID. I know 'cause it says it on the State website (also emailed CBP about it) and also because I did it. Wasn't even given a sideways look for booking in my married and passport in maiden. I simply showed my GC at security checkpoints. Even when entering Aus. People say "to be safe" but it didn't make sense for me to leave on my maiden name when I was leaving the country AND changing my passport to married name while gone. Booking in married made a lot more sense.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

No it's any government-issued photo ID. I know 'cause it says it on the State website (also emailed CBP about it) and also because I did it. Wasn't even given a sideways look for booking in my married and passport in maiden. I simply showed my GC at security checkpoints. Even when entering Aus. People say "to be safe" but it didn't make sense for me to leave on my maiden name when I was leaving the country AND changing my passport to married name while gone. Booking in married made a lot more sense.

The point I was making was this: when you check-in for an international flight, airline personnel will ask to see your passport. If the name on the ticket and the name on the passport do not match, you do not fly. This is a somewhat recent government directive, the name on the official identification used at check-in and the name on the ticket MUST MATCH.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Timeline
The point I was making was this: when you check-in for an international flight, airline personnel will ask to see your passport. If the name on the ticket and the name on the passport do not match, you do not fly. This is a somewhat recent government directive, the name on the official identification used at check-in and the name on the ticket MUST MATCH.

Care to show a link? The requirement is government-issued photo ID. I flew in Sept 2010. I do know that they're no longer accepting the marriage certificate but other government-issued photo-ID is fine. Please see here: http://www.wkrn.com/story/10366280/tsa-name-on-airline-ticket-must-now-match-id?redirected=true with the most recent update showing exactly what I just wrote which is that your ticket name must match your government issued photo ID exactly (apparently including middle names).

Also TSA website here: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/index.shtm

What if a passenger’s boarding pass and ID do not match exactly?

Secure Flight and travel document checking are both critical security functions, yet they serve different purposes at different points in the security process. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes watch list matching process that takes place before checkpoint screening. Secure Flight asks that passengers enter their names as they appear on their government ID and passengers should strive to stay consistent between the name on their ID and the information they provide when booking their reservation. Once a passenger receives their boarding pass, the Secure Flight process is already complete.

At the security checkpoint, TSA strives to ensure your identification and boarding pass are authentic and validate you are who you say you are. Small differences in the name on the boarding pass and ID, like middle initials, should not impact your travel. It is not uncommon for the information printed on boarding passes to differ slightly from the information on IDs, depending on the boarding pass printing practices of individual airlines.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

I see your point. Every time I have flown internationally, airline personnel specifically asked me for my passport. I was posting from what I have encountered.

:ot2:

This thread has appears to be straying from the original intent of the OP. The OP is looking a NY specific answer regarding a name change for his fiancee prior ot their wedding.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Just because if I don't someone else will I should correct you... YOU filed for a K1 PETITION, you did not file for a Visa. She files for the K1 Visa if your petition is approved.
A gentle alteration to what the good V. has written: You filed an I-129F petition so that she can apply for the K-1 visa. :) Chigs, let us know what you learn, si man. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

A gentle alteration to what the good V. has written: You filed an I-129F petition so that she can apply for the K-1 visa. :) Chigs, let us know what you learn, si man.

Indeed.

I just checked this thread, and boy it just turned into somethign else.

I see a good idea in having her change her name in her home country before her interview. But I'd rather not complicate things before the interview is over. I think the first name change was somewhat of a "can we do this while we're at it" kind of a thing. Does not necessarily need to happen. However, it would be insane to have these changes made during her Naturalization process (or maybe not) because that would require officially changing her social security, driver's license, ( passport for obvious reasons), etc.

So we're still thinking about this, and I will look into this further but the chances are somewhat dwindling right about now.

Will let everyone know what we end up doing.

thanks for all the responses.

PS. I like how V. was so ####### about the correct verbiage. I'm also like that to others when they do this to me ;)

Spoiler

N400 Journey:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Recommendation... if she is going to change her first name, I'd do it BEFORE she gets a passport.

A little story that I am just recalling based on the responses. My ex-wife(who I had petitioned for 15 years ago) took my last name and has kept it as such. All her docs... DL, SS card,permanent residence card etc all say my last name. Her passport has her maiden name. This was a complete disaster when she went to her citizenship country last year. I got involved because she was taking my child with her. For months we were told different things i.e. 2 different US airlines told us different things. Then 2 different supervisors at the same airline would say different things. TSA agents told us different things. We had to go to consulates, get notirizations from the Secretary of State to notarize their own signatures, send it here, pay this, then get that. End of story... I concluded no one really knows what name is supposed to be on the ticket and until my future wife is a US citizen she's just best off keeping her maiden name. It really was a complete nightmare that stressed me, my ex-wife, and my child for months.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline

Recommendation... if she is going to change her first name, I'd do it BEFORE she gets a passport.

A little story that I am just recalling based on the responses. My ex-wife(who I had petitioned for 15 years ago) took my last name and has kept it as such. All her docs... DL, SS card,permanent residence card etc all say my last name. Her passport has her maiden name. This was a complete disaster when she went to her citizenship country last year. I got involved because she was taking my child with her. For months we were told different things i.e. 2 different US airlines told us different things. Then 2 different supervisors at the same airline would say different things. TSA agents told us different things. We had to go to consulates, get notirizations from the Secretary of State to notarize their own signatures, send it here, pay this, then get that. End of story... I concluded no one really knows what name is supposed to be on the ticket and until my future wife is a US citizen she's just best off keeping her maiden name. It really was a complete nightmare that stressed me, my ex-wife, and my child for months.

I would think that because she (my fiancee) is going to be coming here, getting married to me, changing her last name to be her last name, a new passport is the least that we need to do. Once we're married, a new passport, ss card, etc will be in the works (with the new last name). I am not sure how this can be complicated. If I know ahead of time that I am getting married and changing my last name (and then potentially fly sometime after my marriage), the least I would do is change my passport to show that my last name has changed. Of course, this is only done via the embassy of the alien fiance(e)'s country within the united states.

Am I missing something?

Thx

Spoiler

N400 Journey:

It isn't complicated, but there is no one all encompassing process which will change her name everywhere. Each agency (SSN, driver's license, passport, USCIS) has it's own rules for what documentation, etc. is required to prove the name change. Follow those rules as you go along and you'll be fine.

Moving thread from K1 process forum to 'moving here and your new life in America' forum.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.