WBC

How long of work history do I need for K-1 Application?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm sorry if this is obvious but I can't find where it asks for work history on the I-129f?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129f.pdf

Am I looking at the wrong form (looking to apply for fiancee visa for my gf)?

Also I'm 24, I graduated university at 22, went to China, met my girlfriend, came back to the US about 10 months ago and have worked the past 3 months. So I have 1 tax form from when I did an internship junior year of college. I have pay stubs for my company now and that's about it.

I'm trying to follow the step-by-step guide but it doesn't say anything about 5-year work history either (says I just need pay stubs)? Am I looking at completely wrong things?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hello,

I'm applying for the K-1 fiancee visa. I was told (my gf read on Chinese site) that I need to show proof over work for 1 year+ in order to apply, but I can't seem to find any relevant information. Is there a strict time we have to have worked to apply for the K-1 visa?

Thanks in advance!

First, it's nit-picky, but work on getting the terminology straight. It will serve you well in this process. YOU are not applying for a K-1 visa. You are submitting an I-129F PETITION that, when approved, will allow your fiancee to apply for a K-1 visa in China.

I'm sorry if this is obvious but I can't find where it asks for work history on the I-129f?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129f.pdf

Am I looking at the wrong form (looking to apply for fiancee visa for my gf)?

Also I'm 24, I graduated university at 22, went to China, met my girlfriend, came back to the US about 10 months ago and have worked the past 3 months. So I have 1 tax form from when I did an internship junior year of college. I have pay stubs for my company now and that's about it.

I'm trying to follow the step-by-step guide but it doesn't say anything about 5-year work history either (says I just need pay stubs)? Am I looking at completely wrong things?

Now to address your questions, I don't think previous posters were being very clear. When you submit the I-129F, you also have to submit a G-325A Biographic Information form for yourself, and one for your fiancee. On THAT form it asks for your addresses for the past five years, as well as employment for the last five years. That doesn't mean you're required to have five years of employment, just that you have to fill it in. So if you were unemployed at any point, you can state that.

AFTER the petition is approved and sent to the consulate in China, you're fiancee will go to her interview and will have to bring the I-134 Affidavit of Support, with your financial information. That will usually include three years of tax transcripts, and evidence of your current employment, such as a letter from your employer, and a history of paystubs. You have to prove that your current income is enough to support you and your fiancee (and any other dependents you might have). Theoretically, CURRENT income (at the time of the interview) is what you're judged upon, but each consulate functions a bit differently, so if you don't have much of an employment history, it's possible you'd need to have a co-sponsor as a backup. You'd have to check the regional forum for China for China-specific information.

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

Yes Dear. But that was Not The Original Op's Question. This is not about US but to help another Member.

Mav changed her Video per my request. She made that Over 2 years ago. Hugs. It is Totally Normal to Wonder off and forget the OP. I do it all the time.

I like this video the best :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.