mim_0413

I-864_not sure if enough

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have being using it for a quite a while to become a citizen and currently using it to bring my mom here.

I have been thinking of this question for a long time and I'm not sure if my conclusion based on reading various threads from this forum is correct.

The I-130 was recently accepted and now I'm reading to familiarize myself with the docs that I have to submit.

Do you think my mother will not be given the visa even though I can show that I can support her financially based on the 2010 tax returns? In other words is it mandatory to get a visa to show that my 2008 and 2009 tax returns are above 125% of poverty line?

I was a full time student from 05 to 09. My 2008 tax returns were about 5,000. I graduated from college on '09 and started working as a lab tech one week after graduation. However, my 2009 tax returns barely reach 18,000. My 2010 tax returns on the other hand are between 30,000 and 32,000. I was thinking of writing a letter explaining my situation and submitting it with the packet. Do I have to write the letter in spanish? The US embassy is in Peru. Do you guys think that based on 2010 tax return I am fine or should I think of finding a joint sponsor? I'm still in my job from 09 and recently got a raise.

Help,

Thank-you,

mim

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have being using it for a quite a while to become a citizen and currently using it to bring my mom here.

I have been thinking of this question for a long time and I'm not sure if my conclusion based on reading various threads from this forum is correct.

The I-130 was recently accepted and now I'm reading to familiarize myself with the docs that I have to submit.

Do you think my mother will not be given the visa even though I can show that I can support her financially based on the 2010 tax returns? In other words is it mandatory to get a visa to show that my 2008 and 2009 tax returns are above 125% of poverty line?

I was a full time student from 05 to 09. My 2008 tax returns were about 5,000. I graduated from college on '09 and started working as a lab tech one week after graduation. However, my 2009 tax returns barely reach 18,000. My 2010 tax returns on the other hand are between 30,000 and 32,000. I was thinking of writing a letter explaining my situation and submitting it with the packet. Do I have to write the letter in spanish? The US embassy is in Peru. Do you guys think that based on 2010 tax return I am fine or should I think of finding a joint sponsor? I'm still in my job from 09 and recently got a raise.

Help,

Thank-you,

mim

You are only required to submit your tax returns for the most recent tax year, so if your income in 2010 was high enough, you should be good. You should only submit your returns from the two years before that (which is optional) if they give even stronger evidence that you can support the intending immigrant.

You can also send in copies of recent pay stubs (from the last six months) and a letter from your employer stating your position, how long you've been working for them, and your salary. As long as all of your evidence shows that you are currently making a yearly salary that is 125% above the poverty line for your household size, you should be fine.

Also, unless you are doing direct consular filing, you don't need to be contacting the embassy at all at this point. Your I-864 packet and immigrant visa application (DS-230) will all go to the National Visa Center when the time comes. There are some excellent guides which can help you get a clearer sense of the process:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/How_Do_I_Bring_My_Spouse_%28Husband_or_Wife%29_to_Live_in_the_United_States%3F

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/James%27s_Shortcuts

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Good luck!

Edited by jennie ann

USCIS171 days
08.03.2010: Sent I-130 (Received at Chicago Lockbox on 08.05.2010 – Priority Date)
08.24.2010: NOA1 – Notice Date (Case transferred from CSC to TSC on 11.02.2010 and back to CSC on 02.07.2011)
02.11.2011: NOA2 – Approved! (hard copy received on 02.17.2011)

NVC46 days
02.26.2011: Got NVC case number from AVR (entered on 02.24.2011)
02.28.2011: Called operator to give email addresses and get IIN; emailed beneficiary's change of address and DS-3032; received instruction emails from NVC; AOS fee bill invoiced and paid
03.01.2011: AOS fee shown as "paid"
03.03.2011: DS-3032 accepted; beneficiary's address updated by NVC; IV fee bill invoiced and paid
03.07.2011: IV fee shown as "paid"; AOS and IV packets sent out together via USPS Priority Mail (delivered on 03.09.2011)
03.22.2011: AVR and operator tells us we will receive an RFE
03.26.2011: Received RFE checklist via email (asking for PCCs from China and Taiwan)
03.28.2011: Sent checklist response via USPS Priority Mail (explaining/demonstrating that PCC should not be required)
04.10.2011: AVR message says that checklist response was received on 04.08.2011; sign in failed
04.11.2011: Case completed at NVC!
04.13.2011: Interview date assigned, received Packet 4 via email
04.25.2011: NVC sent case to embassy in London

Embassy – London, United Kingdom
05.23.2011: Medical at Knightsbridge Doctors
05.31.2011: Interview - APPROVED! (301 days from filing)
06.02.2011: Visa in hand
06.07.2011: POE at SFO

Removal of Conditions

04.16.2013: Sent I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

04.18.2013: I-751 packet received at VSC (check cleared on 05.03)

05.04.2013: Received NOA1 (dated 04.19)

05.11.2013: Received biometrics appointment notice for 06.05.2013 (notice dated 05.08)

05.13.2013: Completed biometrics as a walk-in (would have been out of town for scheduled appointment)

08.21.2013: APPROVED! (Received email update that USCIS has ordered production of new card)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Current income is what matters unless you are self employed. Your annualized earnings for this year is what you need to prove. Usually this is done with an employer letter and recent pay stubs.

For a self employed person the income used is line 22 of the most recent year's 1040 tax return.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Current income is what matters unless you are self employed. Your annualized earnings for this year is what you need to prove. Usually this is done with an employer letter and recent pay stubs.

For a self employed person the income used is line 22 of the most recent year's 1040 tax return.

Thank-you for your response. Well now I'm debating whether or not to declare my 08 and 09 income. I am afraid if I don't the embassy or NVC may want to know why I'm not submitting the 08 and 09 income info. If I do declare, then my fear is that they'll believe that I don't make enough. For some reason I feel that the US embassy at PERU is very strict. My mother was denied tourist visa four times before and so I want to see if she can come here via permanent residence. Any suggestions or previous experiences will greatly help.

Thanks

mim

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.