uklover

No vaccinations ever - how will this affect the medical??

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi all,

So my fiance went to his GP to get any vaccinations he needed for the medical in London for the K1 visa. It turns out that he has never been vaccinated...EVER. So his doc said he needs to give him shots starting when he was a baby....so he has to get ALL of the normal administered vaccinations.

Now he found on the British Expat site the below info. We would like others to confirm this...because if this is true...then he will simply book his medical in several days.

As part of the medical examination, the examining doctor is required to verify that the applicant has met the vaccination requirements where medically appropriate. The best way to verify this is by having with you copies of your vaccination records. These can be obtained from your GP.

Applicants are not be required to meet the vaccination requirements at the time of the visa interview. However they are required to meet the requirements at the time they file an application for AoS. If any of the vaccination requirements are not met at the time of the medical, the applicant can choose to have any missing vaccinations done at the time of the medical examination for a cost set by Knightsbridge Doctors. An applicant may also have them done by their local GP. If doing so, they must remember to get a copy of the vaccination record for later proof of vaccination.

The following vaccinations are required to be current at the time of filing an AoS application based on the age of the applicant, and their cost if done by Knightsbridge Doctors:

Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (DTP) - (2 months - 6 years of age) - £25

Hepatitis A - (12 - 23 months of age) - £35

Hepatitis B - (Through 18 years of age) - £35

Influenza - (6-59 months of age, and annually if over 50 years of age) - £20

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - (If born in 1957 or later) - £35

Meningococcal MCV - (11 - 18 years of age) - £20

Pneumococcal - (Through 59 months of age, and over 65 years of age) - £35 Adult, £45 Child

Polio - (2 months - 17 years of age) - £30

Rotavirus - (2 - 6 months of age) - £65

Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids - (Over 7 years of age for TD; 10 - 64 years old for Tdap) - £30

Varicella - (Over 12 months of age; wavered if applicant has had chicken pox as a child) - £60

Zoster - (Not available in the UK; over 60 years of age) - N/A

Note: Consult doctor or physician for the length of immunization each vaccination provides in order to determine if your vaccinations are current.

So it sounds like he doesnt have to have any vaccinations when he goes for his medical...he just simply needs to tell them that he is getting them done and will have them completed by AOS.

Please help. We dont want him to go for the medical and FAIL. :unsure:

K1 PROCESS:

11/1/10: NOA1 Received

4/14/11: NOA2 - Approved!!!!

8/18/11: Visa in hand

8/29/11: POE in ATLANTA!!!!

9/16/11: Married!!!

AOS PROCESS:

10/4/11: Social Security Card Arrived!

11/10/11: AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/19/11: NOA1

12/2/11: Biometrics

12/10/11: Case transferred to the California Service Center

03/06/12: EAD approved and card production!

03/14/12: EAD card in hand!

08/04/12: Green card in production!

08/09/12: Green card in hand!

Indeed for K1 he can wait till AOS to get vaccinations. However it will be cheaper to get his GP to administer them, plus if he does not have the vaccinations complete then it will be an extra hassle when you are doing AOS. If he calls up to book his medical now he can probably get some shots from his GP before he actually goes to the medical? He should just focus on getting TDaP and MMR.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Indeed for K1 he can wait till AOS to get vaccinations. However it will be cheaper to get his GP to administer them, plus if he does not have the vaccinations complete then it will be an extra hassle when you are doing AOS. If he calls up to book his medical now he can probably get some shots from his GP before he actually goes to the medical? He should just focus on getting TDaP and MMR.

Yes! Definitely!

Try to get as many as possible from his GP in the UK. Some will be free, some will have to be paid for. But it will be cheaper than having them done here in the US, for sure!

I am not sure about the list above...perhaps someone else can answer that one.

Good luck!

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Some of them are not age appropriate. I'd check with the embassy approved doctor performing the medical before you rush into getting all those vaccinations. They might give the shots to him at the medical but these things are country specific so I don't want to pass on my experience if it doesn't apply to United Kingdom. Heres a link: http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Edit: See that Paul & Elizabet replied while I was typing - sorry for what seems to be a repost from my side : )

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yea he can only get age appropriate vaccination.

Timeline

So it sounds like he doesnt have to have any vaccinations when he goes for his medical...he just simply needs to tell them that he is getting them done and will have them completed by AOS.

Please help. We dont want him to go for the medical and FAIL. :unsure:

It might be best to get vaccines before as it will be cheaper, and without them it will be ok, u wont fail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Well he had a few today done...and in a month they told him to come back for more. They did not give him MMR yet (not sure if they will since he has has Measles) and they didnt give him Tdap.

We arent sure what to do.

See he is planning to get as many as possible done before he comes over since its free over there, but we want to get his medical in London out of the way and werent sure if we could.

I told him that he might need to call the embassy docs and ask...

K1 PROCESS:

11/1/10: NOA1 Received

4/14/11: NOA2 - Approved!!!!

8/18/11: Visa in hand

8/29/11: POE in ATLANTA!!!!

9/16/11: Married!!!

AOS PROCESS:

10/4/11: Social Security Card Arrived!

11/10/11: AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/19/11: NOA1

12/2/11: Biometrics

12/10/11: Case transferred to the California Service Center

03/06/12: EAD approved and card production!

03/14/12: EAD card in hand!

08/04/12: Green card in production!

08/09/12: Green card in hand!

Well it is not all that expensive to get the necessary vaccinations at the medical. Certainly worth it to avoid the hassle/cost later. So I would say just to book the medical, and any he needs still when he goes to it just get them there.

The only thing I'm not sure about, is the MMR. Generally you are required to have two shots. I don't know how it works if he gets the first shot at the medical. If applying for a CR1 visa then that would be that, all he would need. In the case of K1 I don't know if he would then need to get the second MMR before AOS or not. It's possible that he won't, that if his vaccination form is complete as of the date of the medical then they won't actually look at it again.

Course, I don't know for sure that your fiance is younger than 64. He may need some other vaccines.

All he needs for AOS is one shot of a series-- MMR; a version of DTP (covering Diptheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis); and Varicella (excused if he had chickenpox disease). That's it. Everything else on that list is for babies/children. The visa medical doctor will tick off that it is not age appropriate. Yes a K1 visa can be approved without any shots, but it's really a good idea to cover it all before the visa medical so you don't have to pay a civil surgeon to record everything in the US.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My husband went to his medical exam without immunization records. He just didn't have them and was unable to get them. He ended up having to get all the shots at once. Kinda painful and expensive but at least it didn't cause any problems.

create_maleScene.jpg

USCIS *CR-1 Visa*

2008-07-26 : I-130 Sent

2009-04-02 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Peru Approved

2009-04-08 : POE Atlanta (256 days from sending I-130)

USCIS *Removal of Conditions*

2011-02-28 : Mailed I-751

2011-03-02 : USPS Delivery Confirmation

2011-03-10 : Check Cashed

2011-03-11 : Touched

2011-03-25 : USCIS confirmed they did not mail NOA 1, given case number

2011-04-05 : Infopass appointment passport stamped with I-551

2011-04-19 : Walk in Biometrics completed (2 weeks early)

2011-05-03 : Biometrics appointment (3 year anniversary)

2011-08-25 : Approved

2011-08-31 : Card in hand (184 days after sending I-751)

*Application for Naturalization*

2012-03-24 : Mailed N-400

2012-03-26 : NOA1

2012-03-29 : Check Cashed

2012-05-14 : Biometrics Appointment

2012-06-04 : Interview Letter

2012-07-09 : Interview in Raleigh, NC (Passed)

2012-07-20 : Oath Ceremony (119 days after sending N-400)

[/center]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Manitoba Public Health, similar to the UK NHS, wouldn't give me TDap because I'm out of the age range when they normally administer it. The panel physician in Vancouver was familiar with this problem, and had a process and arrangement in place for applicants to get it from a travel clinic on the day of the immigration medical. The panel physician in London may do something similar, if you contact them in advance.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

I had most of them done with my GP knowing I didn't want to pay for them at the medical, which will be considerably more expensive. There is no problem getting them done on the day but on top of the price of the medical anyway, you may want to consider this...

13/09/10 NOA 1 Received

03/10/10 Touched

22/03/11 NOA2 Received

25/03/11 NOA2 Hard copy received

29/03/11 NVC Received

04/04/11 NVC Sent

06/04/11 Consulate Received

11/04/11 Packet 3 received

19/04/11 Police Certificate received- NO TRACE

25/05/11 Medical- PASSED

31/05/11 Packet 3 Sent

26/07/11 INTERVIEW

29/07/11 Received Passport and visa docs in post

10/11/11 Arrived at Newark and passed through with no problems

20/11/2011 Married!

AOS

12/11/2011 AOS,EAD and AP application sent via USPS

12/22/2011 NOA 1

01/11/2012 Case transferred to CSC for processing

01/18/2012 Touched

01/23/2012 Biometrics Appointment

02/09/2012 EAD Card production email

02/09/2012 AP Approval email

02/15/2012 Touched

02/16/2012 Touched

02/16/2012 EAD card delivered

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.