Haisook

DV visa: Required DV Qualifying Education or Work Experience

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: South Africa
Timeline

For the DV interview, documents to prove DV Qualifying Education or Work Experience is required (see here). As to the qualifying education part, does it have to be a high school certificate or would a higher degree like (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) be ok? I'm asking because my father's high school certificate is lost (he's quite old) and he only has his medical degree. He's the one applying for the DV, by the way.

If a high school certificate is required, would a work experience certificate be ok instead?

Haisook, please let me know what the consulate says when they reply to your question.

On another point, you say that your dad is quite old. That made me wonder whether your dad is still working as a doctor, or, if he is not working, when did he stop working? I think that if you wish to go the "work experience" route (rather than the "high school education" route) he has to have worked as a doctor in 2 of the past 5 years.

Maybe this is another requirement to consider when going the "work exp" route.

Australia

Migrated - 2006

Citizenship - 2009

USA

Visa Interview - 2010

Green Card - 2011

Migrated - 2012

Timeline

I know it for a fact. Happy, Superkruz?

Would you now please give me the relevant reference to the authority (immigration manual/INA,or something similar) where you established this fact?

Australia

Migrated - 2006

Citizenship - 2009

USA

Visa Interview - 2010

Green Card - 2011

Migrated - 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post violating tos removed along with one quoting.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

As I wrote:

The US isn't trying to import a whole new class of minimum wage workers.

The more education you have, the more experience you have in a skilled occupation, the more money you have, the better.

The high school diploma/12 years of education is the MINIMUM requirement.

As was previously mentioned, education systems in some countries may not offer 12 years of pre-university education. Therefore they will accept work experience instead.

See again what Bob wrote. It makes sense.

The high school diploma is the MINIMUM they will accept.

Everything is stated clearly in the instructions for the DV lottery.

Aside from that fact, where else do I gather facts from: I personally know a few people from more than one country who have won and completed the DV lottery. They were never asked to provide any evidence of high school education when they provided evidence of their university education. And as yet I haven't seen any accounts posted on websites of applicants being required to show their high school certificate.

If the consular officer decides not to accept a doctorate and requested to see evidence of a lower education, this would be odd, don't you think. There would have to be something maybe incomplete or suspicious in the case the applicant provided. But this is not usually the way it would be done.

It is unfortunate for so many applicants whose degrees will be accepted by the consulate but will not be recognized when the time comes for them to find a job in the US.

Timeline

Everything is stated clearly in the instructions for the DV lottery.

Mate, I am not trying to be difficult about this so please don't see my continual asking as a negative thing. I am just trying to be 100% clear on certain things so that is why I keep asking. I have looked at the DV lottery instructions. Under the EDUCATION requirement this website says:

The principal diversity visa applicant must have a high school education, or its equivalent.

Education: Submit to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at your interview, a certificate of completion equivalent to a U.S. diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued by the person or organization responsible for maintaining records, which specifies the completed course of study. The diversity visa selectee must have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the U.S. or a comparable course of study in another country, sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission.

I cannot see anything therein that says, or implies, that a school education is the minimum requirement. From reading this it seems like the only requirement. This is why I am of the opinion that one cannot show a degree, for example, in lieu of a high school certificate.

I accept that I could be wrong, and probably is, but I would like to see where it confirm this on some official document/website, as I am reluctant to simply accept someone's opinion since they can be wrong too. No disrespect intended towards you and your opinion mate, I just want to be able to verify the advice I get to ensure it is accurate.

And as yet I haven't seen any accounts posted on websites of applicants being required to show their high school certificate.

I have 2 degrees yet, I had to show a high school certificate at my DV interview.

If the consular officer decides not to accept a doctorate and requested to see evidence of a lower education, this would be odd, don't you think.

I agree with you 100%

Edited by Superkruz

Australia

Migrated - 2006

Citizenship - 2009

USA

Visa Interview - 2010

Green Card - 2011

Migrated - 2012

Timeline

I also found this in the DV instructions (under Step 1), where it talks about the EDUCATION requirement. From this it looks like a school education is an absolute requirement, meaning that even if you have a string of degrees to your name, you must still show that you've done 12 years at school.

Step 1: Confirm Your Eligibility

The principal diversity visa applicant must have a high school education, or its equivalent.

High School Education: A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the U.S.

Australia

Migrated - 2006

Citizenship - 2009

USA

Visa Interview - 2010

Green Card - 2011

Migrated - 2012

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

If you interviewed in Australia but got your degrees in South Africa, that is possibly the reason why they asked to see your high school certificate. If that wasn't it then they saw something in your case that made them ask.

If it were me and I had a degree, I would also go in as best prepared as I could with my high school certificate and all other evidence I could provide. But usually a degree is accepted by itself. I don't know of H1b applicants being required to show a high school certificate when they can show a degree.

Too bad the OP's father was selected in the 2012 lottery which is voided.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks all for all your replies.

My dad is not that old actually. He's 58 and he's still working as a physician.

Anyway, the results have been voided, which is ridiculous and stupid, so it doesn't matter anymore. I don't think we're going to win again, as we've been applying for 20 years, and this was our first time.

Thank you America for your stupid mistakes.

Regards.

Edited by Haisook

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

If so, why is that Work Experience in a qualified job can replace such high school degree? I think it's because it proves the applicant has an even higher qualification.

Anyway, I've sent them an email about that.

I've received an email from the US embassy here in Cairo.

Here it is:

From Consular, Cairo IV (ConsularCairoIV@state.gov)

Please note that the University degree is considered as enough proof of education.

Regards,

Consular Section

US Embassy Cairo

ES

So, whoever said that was correct. No need for the high school diploma.

Edited by Haisook

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

For me this is a burning issue. And only forum members from Nigeria would be able to answer my question correctly because of local factors. In Nigeria requirement is what is called O/Level with 5 or 6 credits in WAEC OR NECO examinations. Or two years experience in a work that require at least 2 years of training. My people have qualified for visas in the past based on the work experience like Fashion Designing, Welding etc. But there is a rumor that people with these skills are been denied visa but not confirmed.

I am particularly disturbed about this because my wife won the 2011 DV and due for interview in few weeks. She completed a 12 year of education but without 5 credits. But on her original form she chose vocational school as her qualification because she learned Fashion Designing (Tailoring) for two years. She sent a letter to US consulate asking them to confirm but merely refer her to the instructions on their website without saying either she would qualify for visas or not. We are five in the family so our visas fees is $4095! Losing such a money will be almost suicidal for us. Can any member from Nigeria kindly confirm if we have a chance of receiving visas based on this work experience? Your urgent and accurate response will be appreciated please!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Assuming O Levels are the same as in the UK then she would need 5.

As far as answers:

Better to start your own thread

If the Consulate can not give you an answer then nobody can, they may be able to recount their experience but YMMV.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

For me this is a burning issue. And only forum members from Nigeria would be able to answer my question correctly because of local factors. In Nigeria requirement is what is called O/Level with 5 or 6 credits in WAEC OR NECO examinations. Or two years experience in a work that require at least 2 years of training. My people have qualified for visas in the past based on the work experience like Fashion Designing, Welding etc. But there is a rumor that people with these skills are been denied visa but not confirmed.

I am particularly disturbed about this because my wife won the 2011 DV and due for interview in few weeks. She completed a 12 year of education but without 5 credits. But on her original form she chose vocational school as her qualification because she learned Fashion Designing (Tailoring) for two years. She sent a letter to US consulate asking them to confirm but merely refer her to the instructions on their website without saying either she would qualify for visas or not. We are five in the family so our visas fees is $4095! Losing such a money will be almost suicidal for us. Can any member from Nigeria kindly confirm if we have a chance of receiving visas based on this work experience? Your urgent and accurate response will be appreciated please!

I have seen the effects of the embassy taking this kind of money and then throwing the family back to the streets of Nigeria. Here is what I dins through the DV lottery site. The site the DV lottery will take you to has the following when you search to tailor Occupation site

Job Zone

Title Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed

Education Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.

Related Experience Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.

Job Training Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.

Job Zone Examples These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include food service managers, electricians, agricultural technicians, legal secretaries, interviewers, and insurance sales agents.

SVP Range (6.0 to < 7.0)

The DV site sat this is regards to qualifying experience

PrintEmailWhat Occupations will Qualify for the Diversity Visa Program (eDV)?

The Department of Labor (DOL) O*Net Online database groups job experience into five "job zones". While many occupations are listed on the DOL website, only certain specified occupations qualify for the Diversity Visa Program. To qualify for a Diversity Visa on the basis of your work experience, you must, within the past five years, have two years of experience in an occupation that is designated as Job Zone 4 or 5, classified in a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) range of 7.0 or higher.

So your wifes job is a zone 3 svp 6-7 and the DV lottery is looking for a zone 4 or 5 and an svp 7 or more. It looks like you should keep your money in your pockets.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline
only forum members from Nigeria would be able to answer my question correctly because of local factors.

Here is a link to another forum for DV2011 Nigerians. Maybe someone on that forum is able to give you an answer.

Australia

Migrated - 2006

Citizenship - 2009

USA

Visa Interview - 2010

Green Card - 2011

Migrated - 2012

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thank you very much Igwe and Lolo. We have painfully decided not to attend the interview. It takes time to convince my wife though. We have dreamt of living in US with our lovely children. But we know wasting such big money will make us poorer. With a little investment of $4000 here in Nigeria we may be able to continue to cope until Jehovah's Kingdom is here!!!Thanks again

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The slower route would have been for her to attend the interview alone , declaring the spouse and children but immigrating alone. Then IF she had passed ( I doubt it on the skill side ) she could have come to the US and then once she had green card in hand filed for you and the children. ( a multiyear wait ) I really think it is terrible that they take money from the entire family in this case. We saw a family of 4 that had borrowed the entire amount and just had no clue where to turn. That amount is several years earnings for many Nigerians.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.