DiZZyLoX

2010 Decemberite K-1 AOSers

442 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Alright.. so who has begun their paperwork?!? Sonoko and I have and I already have a question. When filling out the I-485 (and others), and since this is being sent in after the wedding, what last name to we put on there? Sonoko will be taking my last name so should that go on there or her maiden name?

Anyone hear of this prior or anything??

I thought the K1 process was a lot of paperwork.. this AOS is much more involved. *sigh* I hate paperwork!!!!

-Shawn

April 2007 - Met Sonoko in Okinawa Japan

June 2010 - I left Okinawa, relationship continued

November 12, 2010 - Wedding proposal on Sonoko's visit to USA!

December 10, 2010 - I129F sent

December 23, 2010 - NOA1

March 22, 2011 - NOA2

March 25, 2011 - NVC receives petition

March 29, 2011 - NVC sends petition to Naha, Okinawa Consulate

April 8, 2011 - Packet 3 Instructions received

April 25, 2011 - Interview (PASSED!!)

May 9, 2011 - VISA received

May 18, 2011 - Arrived to the USA

Aug 16, 2011 - AOS Sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Haha.. humor for today from the I-485:

"Do you intend to engage in the United states in: Espionage [ ] Yes [ ] No"

I wonder how many times that is checked "Yes."

OH and there are many more crazy ones like that.

Ok, back to paperwork!

-Shawn

April 2007 - Met Sonoko in Okinawa Japan

June 2010 - I left Okinawa, relationship continued

November 12, 2010 - Wedding proposal on Sonoko's visit to USA!

December 10, 2010 - I129F sent

December 23, 2010 - NOA1

March 22, 2011 - NOA2

March 25, 2011 - NVC receives petition

March 29, 2011 - NVC sends petition to Naha, Okinawa Consulate

April 8, 2011 - Packet 3 Instructions received

April 25, 2011 - Interview (PASSED!!)

May 9, 2011 - VISA received

May 18, 2011 - Arrived to the USA

Aug 16, 2011 - AOS Sent

Haha.. humor for today from the I-485:

"Do you intend to engage in the United states in: Espionage [ ] Yes [ ] No"

I wonder how many times that is checked "Yes."

OH and there are many more crazy ones like that.

Ok, back to paperwork!

-Shawn

My fiance wants to put "Yes" all the time! He thinks it's hilarious that those questions are on there! I would imagine you would put her legal name at the time of filing. I'll have a quick search around and see what it should say. I haven't started working on my paperwork yet but I've gathered every single form we will need and binder clipped it so it would be easier to go through later. IT does look daunting, you're right!!!

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance wants to put "Yes" all the time! He thinks it's hilarious that those questions are on there! I would imagine you would put her legal name at the time of filing. I'll have a quick search around and see what it should say. I haven't started working on my paperwork yet but I've gathered every single form we will need and binder clipped it so it would be easier to go through later. IT does look daunting, you're right!!!

Okay...I am trying to stay calm until the interview...do I dare go into the list of things to do for AOS...I suppose it won't hurt to gather the forms.

This thread will surely be a great support source!

Lise

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Given my penchant for looking for Christmas and birthday presents...I would have to check yes. Luckily, I'm already here :devil:

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I have started going through the AOS papers and geeze louise! LOL this thing traumatizes me! And our packet 3 was the one that was a lot of work bc of K's work going in and out of Turkey. Ach.

Anyway, regarding the name thing: I am still personally at an impass on this as I am an established professional and in my head I am still arguing this out. The thought of my changing formal documents on paper after I just did that when I moved the practice is a lot of admin stuff to say the least! But in my heart? I really want to share his name. LOL as I said, I'm wrestling around in my head.

Mari

sparkling-usa-flag.gifMarivalentine60.gifKadir Turkey%20flag-L-anim.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

My fiancé is a pretty experienced IT guy, he builds networks, configures servers, etc. I just posed this question to him:

me: server question for you: on my Decemberite forum, last night a VJ admin posted this:

Congrats! This thread has become pretty large indeed! To reduce server loads I will need to close this "large thread" however please feel free to start a "part 2, 3, 4..." of this thread from scratch! :)

Thank you for understanding. My goal is to make the VJ server as snappy as possible :).

and then "locked" the thread

my question is....if we start a new thread and add the same amount of data, how is that any easier on the servers?

His reply:

Byron: it's easier for database queries

all the thread content is stored in a DB - if it's one large thread, it takes longer to search through the DB entries - multiple threads with less info in it, will search faster

but, if you end up with the same amount of data in part 2 3 4 as example, then you sit with exact same problem

me: ahh ok - thanks Babe!

Just in case anyone was wondering.... ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey can we put up the steps to filing for AOS and exactly what forms we'll need? We were so organized in Decemberites K1 thread, I'm starting to feel like I did when we first filed the K1.. I'm feeling a little lost in exactly where to start in the whole thing! :bonk:

We can start a thread map just like before.. starting with the basics! HOW to file AOS :star:

Hey can we put up the steps to filing for AOS and exactly what forms we'll need? We were so organized in Decemberites K1 thread, I'm starting to feel like I did when we first filed the K1.. I'm feeling a little lost in exactly where to start in the whole thing! :bonk:

We can start a thread map just like before.. starting with the basics! HOW to file AOS :star:

Check out the very first post in this topic. That will get you started. Once everyone is married this will start to pick up, especially after POE :)

---

---

Timeline

So I did a light search in the VJ forums for what happens at POE....didn't really help me much (I don't look at the pre-2010 posts as info changes constantly). Does anyone know what my fiance is to expect? How long it may take? Etc? It's a bit premature to even ask, as his interview is not until July 20, but I am curious....

Dizzy, August 31. Seriously. I would S*** a Brick!!! Email those fools!!! You guys sent packet June 3. We sent June 2. Our interview dates are 5 weeks apart. NOT right. :angry: I did tell Byron to say we had no wedding date - would happen within 2 days of his arrival.....so you are probably right about the wedding date statement. Anyway, I wish you much good luck!! :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So I did a light search in the VJ forums for what happens at POE....didn't really help me much (I don't look at the pre-2010 posts as info changes constantly). Does anyone know what my fiance is to expect? How long it may take? Etc? It's a bit premature to even ask, as his interview is not until July 20, but I am curious....

I have repeatedly read that he should leave at least 3 hours between his POE and his connecting flight. Issues usually arise when it is particularly young or new person who doesn't know what to do that ends up checking the beneficiary through. If he ends up waiting more than an hour with no response, tell him to speak to a supervisor.

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Timeline

I have repeatedly read that he should leave at least 3 hours between his POE and his connecting flight. Issues usually arise when it is particularly young or new person who doesn't know what to do that ends up checking the beneficiary through. If he ends up waiting more than an hour with no response, tell him to speak to a supervisor.

Thanks! Luckily, he'll be flying into the airport I'm picking him up from (Wash. DC), so the connection won't be an issue. Knowing I should probably not arrive 4 hours before his flight lands *does* help LOL (as I tend to do that)! I will tell him about speaking with a supervisor if he waits too long though... :)

Dizzy, August 31. Seriously. I would S*** a Brick!!! Email those fools!!! You guys sent packet June 3. We sent June 2. Our interview dates are 5 weeks apart. NOT right. :angry: I did tell Byron to say we had no wedding date - would happen within 2 days of his arrival.....so you are probably right about the wedding date statement. Anyway, I wish you much good luck!! :thumbs:

I did email them! Got a new date!!July 18th!!! woooohooo (and yes I did sh*t a brick. it had everything to do with the wedding date we put in!)

---

---

WHAT'S IN YOUR AOS PACKET?

Here's what's in ours:

• I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • G-1145, E-Notification of Application Acceptance
  • I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • I-131, Application for Travel Document (AP)
  • SS-5, Social Security Administration Application for Social Security Card
  • G-325A, Biographic Information
  • I-864, Affidavit of Support
  • DS-3032 (Completed at K-1 Medical) (in lieu of I-693)
  • I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (just in case DS-3032 isn't complete)

That's my list!

---

---

WHAT'S IN YOUR AOS PACKET?

Here's what's in ours:

• I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • G-1145, E-Notification of Application Acceptance
  • I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • I-131, Application for Travel Document (AP)
  • SS-5, Social Security Administration Application for Social Security Card
  • G-325A, Biographic Information
  • I-864, Affidavit of Support
  • DS-3032 (Completed at K-1 Medical) (in lieu of I-693)
  • I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (just in case DS-3032 isn't complete)

That's my list!

That's a good list. It's good to be prepared :) If you'd like, you can click on my AOS guide. I enumerated all the steps I did from POE onwards. It's in my signature. Of course, I also just based it on the guides here on VJ, which is the best :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.