t-roy

marry in the us or over seas

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

here is my situation. i am new to visa journey. I am american and I am engaged to my fiance who is in Colombia. We have been together for about a year.

I just recently asked her to be my wife. She does have a tourist visa right now. So my question is should I marry her in Colombia or marry her when she comes

here to see me in the US. I just want make sure we do it the correct and most efficient way. and that it will be legal. Please help. Troy

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If she marries you in the US, she will need to return to Columbia when her authorized stay expires. If she were to enter the US with intent to marry you and then file to adjust status, that's fraud.

Regardless if you marry in the US or in Colubmia, you will still file the I-130 for CR-1 visa.

You have another option. You can file a I-129F for a K1 (fiancee visa). Once she is issued a fiancee visa, she comes here and you must get married within 90 days of her arrival. You would then file for adjustment of status (AOS). When the AOS process is complete, she will be given the green card.

Check out the guides for both K1 and CR-1. :guides:

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Ryan H is dead on with his comments. When choosing between K-1 and CR-1 keep in mind that the process for CR-1 isn't much longer and will save you money, time and aggravation later on. In the end the decision will have to be your's and her's. Congrats on the engagement.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

are you saying you have been togather for about a year, you can file DCF.from the colombian consulate.-if she come to visit you on a b-2 visa you can not marry her it's fruad. she must return home first,you apply the 1-129f k-1 applacation she come to the us must get married within 90 days, the you apply for AOS, fee's 1,070.00.if you marry her in colombia apply for 1-130-cr-1. you will be apart for about 8 months but you will get your social security card, you will get your permanent resident card to traval international,and work, and driver license,the other part is going to get married in colombia getting all your papers translated, having them apostel,sending them to botoga to get stampedof your marrage. the other thing is the family would like to be there and friends for a wedding and much cheaper then the us, so you choose and good luck to both of you.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

are you saying you have been togather for about a year, you can file DCF.from the colombian consulate.-if she come to visit you on a b-2 visa you can not marry her it's fruad. she must return home first,you apply the 1-129f k-1 applacation she come to the us must get married within 90 days, the you apply for AOS, fee's 1,070.00.if you marry her in colombia apply for 1-130-cr-1. you will be apart for about 8 months but you will get your social security card, you will get your permanent resident card to traval international,and work, and driver license,the other part is going to get married in colombia getting all your papers translated, having them apostel,sending them to botoga to get stampedof your marrage. the other thing is the family would like to be there and friends for a wedding and much cheaper then the us, so you choose and good luck to both of you.

Uh... They can choose to marry while she's here on a B2. That's not fraud. Having the intent to adjust status or stay after marriage on a B2 is fraud.

Additionally, he can only file for DCF if the USC has been living together with his partner in Colombia for a certain period of time. OP only mentioned that they have been together for a year, not that they have been together for a year IN Colombia. In fact, it seems that he's currently in the US.

So no, Ryan H is not wrong.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.